It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Colony on Mars:Living in Outer Space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
Would it be a reality that humans one day will achieve a technological advancement and live beyond earth and I would say yes......but....

1. Will we able avoid asteroid strikes from space?
2. Will we able to build gravity pad propotional to the gravity in earth.
3. Will the evolution in earth of humans living in here will be the same as the humans living in outer space?

So viewers please share any ideas that could provide me an understanding that we'll able to survive or carry out our evolution beyond earth perfectly.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 04:54 AM
link   
In the last 1000 years (500 really) humans have gone from living in isolated pockets of land with barely no knowledge of the existence of the rest of the planet, to exploring and to a point populating every extremity, from the highest peak to the deepest ocean trench. No doubt, when this planet is formally recognized as being unable to sustain life properly, and technology permits, humans will begin to populate other planets.
By that time, Mars will probably have a breathable atmosphere thanks to human engineering, and thus small asteroids will be burnt up like they are here on earth, and the big ones, like the one that caused the Siberian explosion, will have a tiny chance of hitting population points, a smaller chance even than earth has, because on Mars population centres will be tightly condensed around one point due to commodity supply. I'm not sure what you mean about a gravity pad. Are you talking about something that creates an artificial gravity feild to replicate the 1G we feel here on earth? In that case, probably not. The technology to make something like that isn't around. The only artificial gravity we can really come up with is centrifugal force, but even that isn't all that effective due to the Coriolis effect.
Evolution will become an issue after a few generations are born and raised on another planet with a reduced gravity. Like Clarke proposed in his Space Odyssey novels, there are going to be complications when a body so used to a .5G environment is forced into a 1G one. I can't really think of a way around that . . . but it may not be that important at all.
I guess there's only one way to find out.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 08:05 AM
link   
1. Will we able avoid asteroid strikes from space?

I imagine that if we set up colonies on another planet, a thorough study of possible colliding objects would be done in the time leading up to populating that planet. Hopefully there will be some sort of method of averting a collision by then. However, should such a disaster occur, then the colonization of other planets will have fulfilled its purpose, which is to ensure the survival of the human race.

2. Will we able to build gravity pad propotional to the gravity in earth.

I have a feeling that such technology is not far off, if it doesn't already exist. But would it really be necessary? What harm would come to peoples who live in the natural gravity on Mars? I guess it might be too soon to say what the effects of lower or higher gravity over long periods will be on humans. But again, I think that this would be studied very intensely before any sort of permanent settlement is created off-world (as they say in Stargate SG-1).

3. Will the evolution in earth of humans living in here will be the same as the humans living in outer space?

Well, typically evolution is the result of a need to adapt to the environment that something lives in for the purpose of survival. I imagine that if humans were to settle on, say, Mars, then there would definitely be adjustments made. But evidence of them would not become obvious for a long time. However, if colonists were to spend all of their time indoors, then an environment like that on Earth would probably be created, which would likely curb any survival-related evolution from happening.

new topics

join