It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psycho! Nut-job! Retard! Sound Familiar?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 09:38 PM
link   
The topic of mental and emotional illness is greatly misunderstood by society at large. Sometimes even more so to the sufferer. I believe I could write a book on this subject alone.
It is my desire to point out how people are uneducated about the different fields of mental,emotional and even retardation illnesses.
There are specific sets of symptoms that follow each diagnosis that a person may have, Sometimes there may be a blend of mental and emotional illnesses in one sufferer.
Some illnesses have often times made a victim the bearer of unjustified name-calling. Such as nut-case, psycho, schizo, bi-polar or split-personality. The usual names that society calls one, when they are uneducated about the specifics of the illness. It hurts to receive these flailing accusations; not only because they are hurled at one, but because some of them are known to be some of the kindest, brightest and well-intentioned people in our society.
They have generally suffered much traumatic abuse to arrive to the state of mind that they are in. Insults and jeering is the most cruel thing you can do to add to that person's suffering.
I am not a doctor, psychiatrist or mental health counselor. Although I am degreed, as a mental health tech. I did quite well at this until I became disabled. I was also a CNA. In those two fields I witnessed close up and personal how the mentally abused of our society, live in an eternal hell of a prison, generally brought on by outside influence and affect.
Some mental health issues are organic or congenital, but most are attained after entering a cruel society where they have suffered beyond their capabilities to cope as the average person does.
Each mind handles trauma differently. Some become schizophrenic, some may develop multiple personality disorder, etc.
Some examples of emotional illness are; Anxiety, Post traumatic Stress Disorder, Panic Disorder, and Clinical Depression.
It has been stated in medical journals, that emotional trauma causes physical damage to the brain. It emanates in a different outcome in each indidvidual.
I believe that this outcome is related to the body's chemical make-up. That's why we hear the widely used term, 'Chemical Imbalance.' At this point, the damage is organic. The brain has been physically damaged by trauma.
There are a wide variety of medications on the market that sometimes greatly benefit the victim. They can go on and lead productive lives.

But irregardless of what each victim's diagnosis or symptoms are; They need no further torment from anyone.
There is also another group that needs to be differentiated. That is the Insane and the Criminally Insane.
I personally do not know much about this field in particular. But their diagnosis, ususally, deems them unfit to live free in society.
Then we have the retardation illness, or it's more modern term, developmentally challenged. This illness alone is where a person is unable to learn at a rate or maximum potential of the average person. They may excel in other areas, such as personality or even individual natural talents.
So in wrapping this up, I would invite you to educate yourselves. You might want to think twice before hurling insults at your child, or leaving them unprotected and subject to sexual abuse and trauma. I personally believe that knowledge is one key to furthering our society in it's treatment of all shortcomings. I hold one element above knowledge; and that is kindness. Mental health and mental retardation are the areas that are in need of a more tolerant and compassionate society. Truspiritstar

[edit on 11/6/2007 by Truespiritstar]

posted on Nov, 6 2007 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Hello friends! I hope that you will find this topic enlightening and educational. For the bright and intelligent members of ATS, you possibly do not need to be educated, but maybe you know someone who could. This is my first thread topic as a member of ATS and I am anxious to have a topic that is timely and educational.
My intentions are to do far more work on this piece and give more detail. Just call it my, "Rough Draft!' OK?

posted on Apr, 15 2008 @ 06:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by TruespiritstarI hold one element above knowledge; and that is kindness. Mental health and mental retardation are the areas that are in need of a more tolerant and compassionate society.

Starred and flagged. Although the member doesn't seem to be here anymore I still thought it worth the read. thanks.

join