It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Concept of infinity

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 7 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
It's kind of like a parallel to Birth, there was no beginning before birth, but you still ARE. And if you think about it if you came back (reincarnated) on another planet where time is completely different from earth you could be 50000 million years in the past on earth time but be in the present on that planet, so your existing in the past and you WILL be in the future, which makes time just a plane. There is no beginning and there is no end there is just BEING.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by die_another_day
It's sometimes a scary thing to think that the universe is infinite and time goes either way infinitely. One of my theories is that the universe has expanded and collapsed infinitely.But how can time be infinite and space be infinite?

Realize that there is NO "first" or "beginning" of anything because time is infinite. Realize that if our "universe" did have a boundary then whats beyond that? And beyond? And beyond?
Time is infinite and still going even if it can theoritically "pause". But when does pause the "real" time continues infinitely and ticking.
By using logic I induce that time and space are limitless; now I don't feel like I want to live anymore

Actually the universe is not infinite.

If you've ever wondered how big the universe is, you're not alone. Astronomers have long pondered this, too, and they've had a hard time figuring it out. Now an estimate has been made, and its a whopper.

The universe is at least 156 billion light-years wide.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

source
www.space.com...

Regardless if this number is exact or not, we know the universe itself is finite. That does not preclude the possibility of multiple universes which may comprise a omniverse or the like.

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I'm so glad I found this post. I was struggling with this about a month ago and came up with this theory. Bare with me...

Since everyone seems to dwell on both ends of infinity, microcosm and the macrocosm, and on both the three dimensions of the physical dimensions as well as the time dimension, I decided to just assume, as axiom, that there is no beginning and no end, and then see where that would lead me.

If you assume as fact that there is no smallest, and no largest, or most distant, then does this mean that both the microcosm and macrocosm are imploding and explanding simultaneously?

After the Big Bang, and while the sub atomic particals were condensing into larger particals, were there also new sub atomic particals being formed as well?

With time, as there are new future moments occuring, are there new genesis moments being created that move deeper into the big bang?

In other words, was the moment of the big bang really just the center... the middle? While it expanded out, it also start moving inward?

So, the past is created at the same time the future is created. Positive and negative expansion, if you will.

There is not beginning and no end, just a middle. But, the middle is everywhere, so this brings us towards a mystical view that the universe just is, not that I had any mystical revelation after this or anything.

jats

posted on Nov, 9 2007 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hexidecimal

Originally posted by die_another_day
So if the universe is donut shaped then whats beyond the donut? =p
or in the center?
Or are there infinitely many donuts x(?

[edit on 5-11-2007 by die_another_day]

Whats beyond the donut, is another donut, then another, and another.

"Another day, another donut."
--Homer Simpson

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:49 AM
link   
First post but looking forward to contributing. I was putting my kids to bed tonight and we stumbled on the topic of infinity. my youngest (6) was scrared? but my oldest (9) replyed well. I asked them about and the youngest on cue said "the end of space is like a wall" and i said what's behind the wall and silence fell. my oldest again (9) said the begining. She said the end of space is also the begining l(ike the donut theory spoke of earlier).....my question is, i had never thought of that and am very impresed my daughter looked at it as a no brainer. Sooo to you science buffs is this a normal conceppt for a (9) year old or should i explore deaper and how? Also she has never been taught this theory in school.

Glad to be on board!

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 12:52 AM
link   
Also i promise not to use so many parenthesis in future posts.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by anotherdad
First post but looking forward to contributing. I was putting my kids to bed tonight and we stumbled on the topic of infinity. my youngest (6) was scrared? but my oldest (9) replyed well. I asked them about and the youngest on cue said "the end of space is like a wall" and i said what's behind the wall and silence fell. my oldest again (9) said the begining. She said the end of space is also the begining l(ike the donut theory spoke of earlier).....my question is, i had never thought of that and am very impresed my daughter looked at it as a no brainer. Sooo to you science buffs is this a normal conceppt for a (9) year old or should i explore deaper and how? Also she has never been taught this theory in school.

Glad to be on board!

Your child is very open minded thats for sure.

I was never taught such a theory in school (that i recall) and i believe the same thing, for the most part. But i didn't decide the theory myself, as your child did. I read the theory and agree'd with it.

Personally I wouldn't see a nine year old declaring such a statment. Maybe you should get her to write her thoughts down and you can share them with us.

I would very much like to hear what a still "productive imagination" can come up with.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 03:11 AM
link   
I know a little about infinity cos i dream a lot and the best one i dreamed up was the infinate who gets reincarnated an infinate number of times as an infinate number of infinates.(busy man).
you'd think well starting now doing one after the other to have infinate youd go 1,2,3,4 etc and need them all to have infinate people each just being 1 so if youre an infinate and more than one person you would have to have a pattern like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 and you could have a good few infinates considering you can count, well forever, but not infinate infinates reincarnated/ taking in turns cos u need infinate number of slots to be infinate
youd be wrong.
starting now you could be you live for infinity and have an infinate number of bestest buddies by going 1. 1,2. 1,2,3. 1,2,3,4. youd have infinate 1's 2's and so on. so if you count back in time from here the middle of infinity you get infinate backwards as well.count up infinate no. 1 no.2 no.3 backwards all bored as hell give it up to some fresh blood? and y not.
But then you could always of been a piggy in the middle
check out some wierds i blogged that could make you think im gonna be infinate.

newblogs.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 03:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by stevo1138
I know a little about infinity cos i dream a lot and the best one i dreamed up was the infinate who gets reincarnated an infinate number of times as an infinate number of infinates.(busy man).
you'd think well starting now doing one after the other to have infinate youd go 1,2,3,4 etc and need them all to have infinate people each just being 1 so if youre an infinate and more than one person you would have to have a pattern like 1,2,3,4,1,2,3,4 and you could have a good few infinates considering you can count, well forever, but not infinate infinates reincarnated/ taking in turns cos u need infinate number of slots to be infinate
youd be wrong.
starting now you could be you live for infinity and have an infinate number of bestest buddies by going 1. 1,2. 1,2,3. 1,2,3,4. youd have infinate 1's 2's and so on. so if you count back in time from here the middle of infinity you get infinate backwards as well.count up infinate no. 1 no.2 no.3 backwards all bored as hell give it up to some fresh blood? and y not.

That didnt confuse the hell out of me at all....i swear....really...

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 03:26 AM
link   

i made mistake at end not im gonna be infinate anyone could be re: reincarnation theorys n appearences of strange powerfull dudes, wheres the girlz?

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 03:52 AM
link   

i made mistake at end not im gonna be infinate anyone could be re: reincarnation theorys n appearences of strange powerfull dudes, wheres the girlz?

You're still confusing me.

posted on Nov, 10 2007 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Great thread!

Infinity, to me, is one thing that proves that there is a god. I mean, a human cannot fathom infinity. It goes beyond our mind's comprehension.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join