It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Invincible Man ~A 1000 Year Lifetime in our Lifetime

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 08:40 PM
link   
This article was on the front page of Yahoo for 5 minutes the other day and is featured in the Washington post. I was very surprised that this had not been posted yet.

www.washingtonpost.com...

Aubrey de Grey may be wrong but, evidence suggests, he's not nuts. This is a no small assertion. De Grey argues that some people alive today will live in a robust and youthful fashion for 1,000 years.

"I thought he had this rare combination -- a serious thinker who had enough courage to break with the crowd," Thiel says. "A lot of people who are not conventional are not serious. But the real breakthroughs in science are made by serious thinkers who are willing to work on research areas that people think are too controversial or too implausible."

"It's a repair and maintenance approach to extending the functional life span of a human body," de Grey says. "It's just like maintaining the functional life span of a classic car, or a house. We know -- because people do it -- that there is no limit to how long you can do that. Once you have a sufficiently comprehensive panel of interventions to get rid of damage and maintain these things, then, they can last indefinitely. The only reason we don't see that in the human body now is that the panel of interventions we have available to us today is not sufficiently comprehensive."

Here's to living to a ripe old age of 999!

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:22 PM
link   
Guess nobody cares about living 1000 yrs...
Everyone should read the 5 page article, this man is a genius and thinks outside of the box, many of his quotes could reflect so many areas on ATS

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:30 PM
link   
i think his idea is great, but considering that we live in a overpopulated world...were the rich dominate all, i don't think we really need to be able to live 1000 years, although that would be great. I think that this idea should be implemented only when

- the rich overlord people of the world come to their senses and everyone start benefiting for the good of humanity

- cures for diseases come out

- when we finally are able to colonize other planets

but i am just waiting for the next 4-5 years...i really don't think it will be a problem to live how long you want, but you have to think of it in the spiritual sense...We all want to evolve, hell i don't wanna be in this life for millions of years...i wanna evolve dammit...lol

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:41 PM
link   
He does say at some point in the article that birth control will have to be a major deal if lifetimes lasted 1000 yrs....

"The birthrate is going to have to go down by an order of magnitude," de Grey acknowledges. "But even if that is going to be a severe problem, the question is not, do problems exist? The question is, are they serious enough to outweigh the benefits of saving 100,000 lives a day? That's the fundamental question. If you haven't got an argument that says that it's that serious that we shouldn't save 30 [bleeping] World Trade Centers every [bleeping] day, don't waste my time. It's a sense of proportion thing."

[edit on 5-11-2007 by SEEWHATUDO]

posted on Nov, 5 2007 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Overpopulation is utter bunk. Europe has a high population density and also a high standard of living. The problem *is not* population in and of itself, it is how economically developed a country is. Furthermore, we haven't even yet begun to access the vast resources beyond the earth, so that's another reason that I'm not overly concerned with overpopulation.

new topics

top topics

join