It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Questions about Seti Monitor

page: 1

join
share:
who

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Is it possible this program is making my units go faster? I havent changed anything in my setup and it seems that my wu's are going in under 3 hours since i set the program up. another question, just wondered who has had some signals that have shown high strengths. some of the stats that program shows are interesting, just wondered for those of you using it what you have seen so far.
I have:
strongest peak of 27.9
best triplet of 11.8

thanks

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Hi who!!

I don't think SETI Monitor makes the program "work" harder or "faster" - but, SETI isn't having to wait for connections or downloads, since it can use the next WU in the cahe, so maybe that cumulative effect is what you're noticing??

As regards "high peaks", have a look at

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Hope that helps?

who

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Damn, hate it when that happens. I looked for other topics and read quite a few before posting, trying not to post the same topic twice. I think you are right about the effect i have noticed.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by who
Damn, hate it when that happens.

No worries my friend!!

Sometimes, we *have* been known to "go off the thread" a bit as well, which doesn't help - but that's what being in a dynamic team's all about I suppose?

Keep on crunching them WU's who!!

Go ATS SETI@home team!!

who

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:06 PM
link   
Thanks Genya.

Has anyone ever gotten an error message from seti monitor that says a peak was detected that is most likely an error caused by the computer? Says something about overclocking and if you are doing it that you should stop. I am not overclocking my computer. Just wondered if anyone else if having this problem.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   
I've not heard of any "warnings" re corrupted data caused by your machine who. Perhaps others have?

I'm led to believe, however, that, on average, about every 500th WU you crunch is one that you've already processed, so that *that* result can be compared (as it were) to remove (quite probably) any problem signals or errors that were introduced locally. SETI itself (through "local" interference at Arecibo) can cause WU's to be corrupted too...

So, the need to keep cracking those WU's people!!

who

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I checked my computer when I woke up this morning and found a message from Seti Monitor that said "Unit 9 has found an interesting signal". I checked it and found a strength of 54.38 and a Pulse of 2.59. Checked it against everything else I have done and i cant find anything even close. Has anyone else gotten a message like this?

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 08:54 AM
link   
Well, I must say Ive never seen a message like that...but I have had a few of those error messages and I stopped overclocking, but I still get the messages..I posted a message about a peak I had a while ago of 89978.41
, and so far no body has had one anywhere close to it, Ive tried taking a screenshot but it doesnt seem to work

who

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 09:11 AM
link   
I still get that message about overclocking, but that is on a different computer. I got this message on an extremely stable machine. After checking the graphs I noticed the levels are a great deal higher than anything I have done up to this date, just wondered if anyone had gotten this. I have seen numbers like yours, but the program said it must be computer error, although nothing is certain.

who

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 09:32 AM
link   
Just found another on my other computer that has a peak strength of 84.21 and a best gaussian of 10.61.

posted on Jan, 31 2004 @ 05:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by who
Just found another on my other computer that has a peak strength of 84.21 and a best gaussian of 10.61.

You are gettig all the good signals my friend!!

I don't *think* I've had results like that - and certainly I don't appear as producing a signal in the SETI@home "Best candidates" list - setiathome.ssl.berkeley.edu... - so perhaps you could check there to how how your signal compares??

Whatever you do - keep on cracking those WU's - it's quite exciting, isn't it?

top topics

join