It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

London police breached health and safety laws

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   

London police convicted over terror shooting

www.smh.com.au

London\'s Metropolitan Police force was found guilty on Thursday of breaching health and safety laws in the fatal 2005 shooting of a Brazilian who officers mistook for a suicide bomber.

The ruling prompted angry calls for the resignation of Metropolitan Police commissioner Ian Blair, who is Britain\'s most senior police officer.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 1-11-2007 by helium3]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:19 PM
link   
This really makes one think who is REALLY creating the terror ?. Im really glad that the truth came to light, i can only hope these evil cops end up in jail.

www.smh.com.au
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
Misleading title.

The Met was guilty of breaking the Health and Safety Act of 1974. No one was convicted over the shooting, just punished for putting the public at risk.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by infinite
Misleading title.

Just copied what the smh site had as there title.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by helium3
Just copied what the smh site had as there title.

Well, its about breaching Health and Safety laws...

so maybe you want to change it?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Yes, it's a misleading title.

If I remember right, the police officer who did the fatal shooting was earlier this year promoted as head of the queens special security force.

No, in the WOT police will never stand trial. Like in every war colleteral damage is expected and respected.

Which leads to the question, who are the true terrorists?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

Sorry, but when London was on the highest terrorist alert, after one attack and a failed copy-cat, you REALLY shouldn't run from armed police.

Plus, he shouldn't of been in the country either.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Sorry, but when London was on the highest terrorist alert, after one attack and a failed copy-cat, you REALLY shouldn't run from armed police.

Would you feel that way if you was your father, brother or son ?. pull your head out of your A%#.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   

Would you feel that way if you was your father, brother or son ?. pull your head out of your A%#.

How would you feel if all of our fathers brothers and sons were in the station and it turned out the guy was actually a bomber? You think the right thing to do would be for the police to just stand there let him run off and get on a train and potentially kill them all?

Running away from the police in a subway system which is on high alert isn't very clever...

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:20 PM
link   
reply to post by infinite

Again if I remember right, He was wearing a long over coat - in the heigth of summer - and that was what triggered the police attention. Also, again if I remember right, there are conflicting reports if the police let themselves be known before pulling the trigger. And also, he did stop after running, but he made moves to his coat, making the police officer shoot, fearing he was about to realease a bomb.

You can't really blame someone for wearing an over coat, even in the middle of summer; the English summer can be chilly to tropical dwellers.

But you should blame the paranoia authorities create with their WOT.

Yes, he had overstayed with a few days.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by malganis

How would you feel if all of our fathers brothers and sons were in the station and it turned out the guy was actually a bomber? You think the right thing to do would be for the police to just stand there let him run off and get on a train and potentially kill them all?

Running away from the police in a subway system which is on high alert isn't very clever...

I dont have a problem with the police detaining the guy just in case he was carrying a bomb. BUT the firearms officers had already had him pinned to the ground when they shot him 11 times. So i think you need to read the facts and sollow that pommy pride.

Wiki's page on Jean Charles De Menezes

[edit on 1-11-2007 by helium3]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   

reply to post by infinite

Again if I remember right, He was wearing a long over coat

Nope just a regular denim jacket.

Not the type of jacket id wear if i wanted to conceal a bomb, is it that hard to admit this was a horrible accident ?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:45 PM
link   
He didn't run from the police, he walked through the station picking up a free newspaper as he went.

He was not wearing a long coat, it was actually a short lightweight or denim jacket.

He did not make a move to his coat, but got up from his seat when pointed to by Ivor as he was alerting the SO19 armed unit to where Jean Charles was sitting.

That was spin laid down by the police immediately after they realised the error they had made.

The eye witness who was sitting between Ivor, the surveilance officer who was following Jean Charles, and Jean Charles himself, claimed that she had no idea the men who stormed the train carriage were police officers. She also thought that Ivor must have been Jean Charles as he appeared to be quite aggitated, where as Jean Charles had not attracted her attention.

Although a guilty verdict is a good result, it is insignificant, to think that the police are found guilty on H&S laws.
Could there have been any other verdict?

An innocent member of the public is gunned down without question and we have to have a court case to decide if H&S laws have been broken.

This is a gross miscarriage of justice and blame lies in many places, but it in no way lies with Jean Chalres de Menezes

Edit: Although I believed Jean Charles was shot 8 times, it apparently was 5 times, according to BBC News 24.

[edit on 1-11-2007 by Koka]

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by helium3

Yes, I've just read the Wiki article, and learn that he was apprehended inside the carriage and didn't attemp to escape. No explanation to why they did shoot though. Fear of he was about to realease a bomb, is among the statements I do remember was in the press at the time.

Checked the initial BBC report too, and Jack Straw is quoted for:
"I haven't got any precise information on his immigration status, my understanding is he was here lawfully,"

The true picture of what happened was distorted by conflicting eyewitness reports and the fact the police altered their explanation several times to make it digestable to the public.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 08:05 PM
link   
Hence my reason the guilty parties should have the book thrown at them, but sadly they all will end up being promoted to higher positions.

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   

Hence my reason the guilty parties should have the book thrown at them, but sadly they all will end up being promoted to higher positions.

You mean like Cressida Dick was?

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Oh please grow up.

Everyone knows you don't run from armed police. Let me tell you this too, many Europeans and Americans have been victims of wrongful actions by police in Latin America, try complaining there and see what happens.

He didn't run from the police, he walked through the station picking up a free newspaper as he went.

He was not wearing a long coat, it was actually a short lightweight or denim jacket.

Oh, was you there then? Due to your post being so certain, I take it you gave evidence to the Court

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   

Okay:

He DIDN'T run, he walked calmly... the Police lied about this.

He DIDN'T wear a huge over coat. the Police lied about this.

He had no idea that the men who grabbed him and shot him in the head were police, in fact eye witnesses also mentioned that not one of the police shouted anything about being a police officer. The first thing Jean Charles knew was when he was grabbed and had a bullet explode through the side of his head.

He had as much right as you or me to be in this country.

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:46 AM
link   

Oh, was you there then? Due to your post being so certain, I take it you gave evidence to the Court

With respect Infinite, you're making a fool of yourself.

Before sarcastically lambasting people I advise doing some homework on this case as you are clearly not up to speed.

Edit : Despite myself and other individuals pointing out what actually occured you insist on reiterating false information spewed by the media fed by the police.

I'll assume you are having an off day, as you are normally a little more switched on.

[edit on 2-11-2007 by Koka]

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Koka
Before sarcastically lambasting people I advise doing some homework on this case as you are clearly not up to speed.

With respect Infinite, you're making a fool of yourself.

There have been numerous accidental shootings by police in the United Kingdom, I don't see why this one is different.

Yes, it was a tragic accident, but with people thinking the police went out and murdered someone is pretty childish.

You cannot blame the police for being shakey after a large scale terrorist attack on the United Kingdom, which the Jean Charles de Menezes family seem to forget. If the family want to talk about police corruption, maybe they should pay attention to the police force in Brazil.

Some seem to forget 52 citizens were killed two weeks before that.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join