It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

School Orders teacher and children to dress as Muslims???

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I was just wondering how everyone would respond to this one. A primary school ordered the teachers and the students to dress in Islamic garb in celebration to an Islamic holiday...

the story is here...

www.thesun.co.uk...

I was first just wondering, do Islamic men dress much differently than western men....
or will it be just the girls that are changing their dress for that day.

Personally, I think I would have a problem with it....would probably dress as a Muslim man just to tick them off, really...

was just wondering what others thought...
because I think it would be rather sexist really....do schools really want to be teaching sex descrimination?

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I think that this is an effort to secretize religion. While secretization is a good idea, it'll never work. "Christians" and Muslims will never allow it to work... Too much hate.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
I think that the basic idea is a good one.

Lets embrace all the holidays from all religions and make a better world where we could work less and have many celebrations all year round.

But that news piece makes me think that there is more than they wanted to say.

Why do they say "ethnic garb" and "Christian"? Ethnic does not mean from a different religion, I can be a Muslim (which I am not, I am an atheist) and be of the same ethnic origin as a Christian or a Budhist.

And I think usualy, when mixing "Asian" and "Muslim" in the same or close sentences, they (in the UK) mean from India or Pakistan, but I think any UK member can make that point clearer.

I think this is more the result of a personal idea than anything else, did you notice that the afternoon is women only party and that the headteacher of the school is called Sally Bloomer? I think that could be a "conspiracy"...

Remember, stupidity is the cause of most of humanity problems.

Oh, and I think that there isn't such a thing as Muslim clothes, the only thing that I remember from the Koran about that is that both men and women should dress in a simple way and not "promoting" their bodies as a thing that should be looked at.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:16 PM
link   
Looks like a multicultural approach to other religions and people, however I disagreed with forcing teachers and students to do this kind of act. I would have used guest speakers to help students understand Islam, not make them dress up in some garb and expect to feel Muslim.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Well, this was done in the UK which does things differently then the US.
There is no way this would ever happen here in the US.

I agree with Deltaboy. There are far better ways at teaching these sorts of things. And quite frankly, IMO, their idea is ridiculous.

With that said. I lived in England for a summer. The neighbors of my close friends (whom I was staying with) were Muslim. They invited us to the wedding of a 10yr old girl
We were the only "white/Christian" women there. One of the neighbors actually made us a traditional Muslim dress to wear (we asked her too)- a Sari . Didnt harm me at all

[edit on 31-10-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:46 PM
link   
To be brutally honest, this was written by the sun - i also note that it's a 'exclusive' report too.

I'm half tempted to find the number for the school myself and ask them.

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 05:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by greeneyedleo
With that said. I lived in England for a summer. The neighbors of my close friends (whom I was staying with) were Muslim. They invited us to the wedding of a 10yr old girl
We were the only "white/Christian" women there. One of the neighbors actually made us a traditional Muslim dress to wear (we asked her too) . Didnt harm me at all

posted on Oct, 31 2007 @ 07:59 PM
link   
I find it interesting that to have kids dress up as Normans, Romans, Ancient Egyptians or Greeks, it is all ok, but if that alien culture is still in existance it is kind of taboo. Maybe a bit of insecurity about one's old culture?

posted on Nov, 1 2007 @ 05:13 AM
link   
or maybe it's just one's insecurity about the position of ones gender in the world....

maybe they should dress the little girls up in burkas, and well, whip them if their shoes make too much noise, and hey, for lunch hour recess, they can bury one of the girls in sand up to their necks and have fun.....

Saris huh?? So, I guess the male equivalent would be something like these?

www.cbmphoto.co.uk...

since I can't see anyone sending their kids to school in one of these...

www.pbase.com...

who's paying for all these fancy clothing anyways, the parents? or is taxpayer money?
I remember when I was a kid, our school decided that all the little girls should be wearing dresses to school in the middle of winter....my mom called the school and asked them if they were planning on paying the hospital bill when I got pnumonia walking though the snow drifts that were up to my thighs. I was sent to the office everyday till they changed the stupid rule while my parents and the school had their war. In the morning, while all the little boys were sitting at their desks, doing homework or goofing around, whatever, all the little girls were lined up at the bathroom, waiting their turn to change from the pants that they were to school into the dress....(wearing a dress outside in the middle of winter wasn't even close to appropriate)

Later in life, I refused a job that was offered me in a bank, simply because they mandated the women to wear high heels.....those of you who have read my posts regarding the healthcare system probably understand why I won't wear high heels!

traditional women's clothing has always been cumbersome, inappropriate, and restrictive. IF you don't believe me, you try wearing a dress in sub-zero weather through snow drifts up to your behind!

If this story is true, I would about be willing to bet all the little boys got away with wearing western clothing, with maybe a fancy belt or something, while all the little girls had to get all pretty with their flowing gowns and headscarves.
and, during recess, all the little boys went their way like they always have, and all the little girls sat around, unable to play because of their get-ups....just like all the little girls in my elementary school, stood in line for about an hour waiting for their turn to change their clothes....or maybe in the emergency room being treated for frostbite!

I'm much worse than my mom, if I had a daughter in such a predictament, I probably would send her to school in a burka, just to remind everyone.....
historically speaking.....
tradition has not been kind to women!!!

[edit on 1-11-2007 by dawnstar]

new topics

top topics

join