It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS is Propaganda too.....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
I hear a lot of talk here about how X news station is propaganda..and we can't trust the mainstream media..but the truth is that ATS is just as much propaganda as these other news outlets.

The difference, is that it appeals to a specific group of people..and it's propaganda they want to hear. There's just as much fear mongering on this site as there is on any media channel..the difference is that it's targeted to a different demographic of people. As an example..how many times have we heard that "x/xx/xx is the next date for the big false flag attack!" or "the government has [insert dastardly deed here]!". It's really no different than the media stations who make us afraid of terrorists..

The truth is that all .coms are designed to turn a profit. And all ATS really is (for the most part) is just a form of entertainment, designed to turn a profit...which is exactly what any media outlets goal is at the end of the day.

So to say that this is better, or more accurate, than mainstream media..is incorrect. First of all many of you probably don't know that legally..news stations aren't allowed to report anything that CAN NOT be FACTUALLY verified. However places like here..wild theories are allowed to be present as fact, and really don't require much "verification". See there are heavy fines, and a station can lose it's licence for doing things like broadcasting a hoax.

So what could be considered a hoax..well for example things like hologram planes..USA will attack iran on X date..many UFO related things..all could be considered hoaxes if broadcast by someone like CNN..because there's no way to factually verify these claims..through science or "official" documents. Therefore it's not that the media "shy's away" from some stories, it's just that they are NOT going to risk their broadcasting licence, by possibly broadcasting something that is false.

I'm not saying that anyone on ATS should feel bad, it's great entertainment..but understand that's what it is, entertainment. I'm just so sick of people bashing the mainstream media, yet they will belive what prison planet says like it was scripture. I work in the TV industry..i'll be the first to admit that they can be biased about certain issues..but is everything they say 100% false? Definatley not. In fact, usually the stuff is more true than it is false..biased as it may be. In fact none of it is false, it's just biased. The facts are true, but there is nothing illegal about presenting that information in a biased way.

So basically what i'm saying is you can't belive both 100% either way. You gotta take a little from column A and a little from column B. Just because it appeals to you, doesn't mean it's less propaganda..or more factually accurate than something on a reputable news station. And like i said, i'm not saying you shouldn't enjoy it. Hell in fact i wish the section i like (prophecies) was more active.

But please be aware that just because ATS content appeals to you, doesn't mean it's any more factually accurate..or any better journalism than mainstream media.

At the end of the day, it's all entertainment..designed to turn a profit..and there's nothing wrong with that.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:01 PM
link   
That was very well said. Everything is propaganda from somebody's perspective. Propaganda doesn't mean that something is false, just that there's a certain slant to it, and you the listener/reader needs to recognize that when coming to a conclusion.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:10 PM
link   
The bonus here though is that we get the propaganda from ALL sides and then the reader can decide for themselves.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:19 PM
link   
ENOUGH of such talk! You are ruining my diabolical plan to control the universe with my minions of evil, including (but not limited to) reptilians, greys, demons, man-eating trees and Mongolian death worms. Oh and Hillary Clinton.

Seriously, great OP. Members be warned, you don't know these people or their motives. Deny Ignorance

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 01:50 PM
link   
stars added for high levels of truth (denial of ignorance). Also loved the response about "here we get ALL propaganda and can choose".

The next huge and long-term world war is the Information/Belief-War.

But its not a "war" really, its just 5 Billion souls looking for some kind of consensus view for orientation an an increasingly mixed-up and fascinating world.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 02:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Spawwwn
First of all many of you probably don't know that legally..news stations aren't allowed to report anything that CAN NOT be FACTUALLY verified.

Do you think that stops them? What about BBC anouncing that building 7 had collapsed before it happened on 9/11? That obviously wasn't verified when it was announced.
And guess what, no one got in trouble.

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 06:59 PM
link   

I hear a lot of talk here about how X news station is propaganda..and we can't trust the mainstream media..but the truth is that ATS is just as much propaganda as these other news outlets.

I can't see how you come to that conclusion that news station and ATS are both propaganda? News stations are definetly propaganda and only tell you want they want you to hear. They even throw in corporate public relations videos disguised as news reports on newscasts VNR'S( video news releases ) that promote political messages.
ATS on the other hand is a discussion board that lets "free members" discuss pretty much what they want to. It's an exchange of ideas and debate with plenty of theories and skepticism. Here the staff demands respect for each other and we as members learn from each other. And we ATSers Deny Ignorance, not promote it like newscast do.

The truth is that all .coms are designed to turn a profit. And all ATS really is (for the most part) is just a form of entertainment, designed to turn a profit...which is exactly what any media outlets goal is at the end of the day.

Of course ATS has to make some money to pay the bills. But instead of charging members a fee to be a member they have advertisers and other ways of doing that. I imagine the three amigo's have learned alot from members that intelligently post in these forums.

See there are heavy fines, and a station can lose it's licence for doing things like broadcasting a hoax.

ATS doesn't broadcast hoaxes. And as soon as a hoax is proven by the administration or members then it is labled a hoax indefinitly. That's why everything is discussed with intelligent debate here.

But please be aware that just because ATS content appeals to you, doesn't mean it's any more factually accurate..or any better journalism than mainstream media.

We as the people get to choose whether we believe or not. It can be what the media says or what people say here at ATS. The media will only say what going on here or there. And the people can only listen. ATS members get to discuss the whole issue with a veriety of intelligent minds and ideas. I myself choose ATS.

[edit on 10/26/2007 by Solarskye]

posted on Oct, 26 2007 @ 07:29 PM
link   
I must disagree with the OP on this. Propaganda is the presentation of an issue with the purpose of influencing the listener/reader to agree, and can only work when any contesting views are stifled. Anything less is not propaganda but viewpoints.

Therefore, ATS as a venue for so many different viewpoints is the exact counter to propaganda.

But it is great entertainment as well.

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:08 AM
link   
ATS is more of a two pronged news outlet, rather than a source of propaganda. Sure, we have some threads that are just as guilty of fear mongering as any of the major networks, and some of the same tactics are used. But, in the same breath, just as many members are guilty of honest approaches, to subject matters that none of the major networks are willing to tackle. So we tackle issues that networks will not, and we are able to house a discussion like no other .com could.

That is why ATS is so special.

The way I see it, what are you going to focus on?

The Administration of this site are not in the business of silencing members. So those that are out to garner attention through absurd headlines, they are going to continue to post on a regular basis. Rather than allowing it to get to us, ignore those and pay attention to those that are legitimately discussing the issues.

As intrepid said, we're getting it from all sides as well. Every network has someone in charge that has an inner bias, and this individual is going to have some say over the content that is aired. Biased, one-sided propaganda. Here, only the members have a say on what is aired. Every thread authored has the opportunity to be a "headliner".

Through flags, stars, etc., every member has the same platform as anyone with an opposing view.

Above Top Secret has no stance. The opinions of it's members, it's staff, and even it's Administration, do not represent the views of Above Top Secret. It is a completely neutral entity that supports all view points.

Members grow upset when a thread supporting one view point is given some attention, but they can not forget that a thread in opposition of that, will be given the exact same attention if it were authored.

You guys control the content, so the question remains.. What are you going to do with it?

[edit on 28-10-2007 by chissler]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:14 AM
link   
It cant be denied that some conspiracy-theorists are just as biased to a version-of-the-world as are MSM journalists.

It cant be denied that CTs are sometimes just as negative and fear-mongering as the Mass-Media.

The good thing about ATS of course, is that its user-generated, meaning WE the people decide what is important, not some editor restricted by the norms of what constitutes "news".

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by chissler

Above Top Secret has no stance. The opinions of it's members, it's staff, and even it's Administration, do not represent the views of Above Top Secret. It is a completely neutral entity that supports all view points.
[edit on 28-10-2007 by chissler]

ATS neutrality stops at its gate, which for a .com is its very name. Every ATS fellow more or less agree on the fact that western world, and specially USA, is hiding truth from its people on a conspiracy basis.

Hence ATS can be taken as the most paranoïd place in the world. And propaganda is often spread by paranoïd systems ruled by paranoïd people : stalinian communism, hitlerian fascism...

However Chissler's democratic -if not anarchist in the "autogestion" sense- argument is rather convicting.

The Sermon on the Mount

1 Seeing the crowds, he went up on the mountain, and when he sat down, his disciples came to him.

The Beatitudes

2 And he opened his mouth and taught them, saying:

3 "Blessed are the poor in spirit, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

4 "Blessed are those who mourn, for they shall be comforted.

5 "Blessed are the meek, for they shall inherit the earth.

6 "Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they shall be satisfied.

7 "Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy.

8 "Blessed are the pure in heart, for they shall see God.

9 "Blessed are the peacemakers, for they shall be called sons of God.

10 "Blessed are those who are persecuted for righteousness’ sake, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven.

11 "Blessed are you when others revile you and persecute you and utter all kinds of evil against you falsely on my account. 12 Rejoice and be glad, for your reward is great in heaven, for so they persecuted the prophets who were before you.

Salt and Light

13 "You are the salt of the earth, but if salt has lost its taste, how shall its saltiness be restored? It is no longer good for anything except to be thrown out and trampled under people’s feet.

14 "You are the light of the world. A city set on a hill cannot be hidden.

15 Nor do people light a lamp and put it under a basket, but on a stand, and it gives light to all in the house.

16 In the same way, let your light shine before others, so that they may see your good works and give glory to your Father who is in heaven.

The ultimate counter-propaganda ? Good to remind sometime...

[edit on 28-10-2007 by Rigel]

[edit on 28-10-2007 by Rigel]

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 06:54 AM
link   
reply to post by Rigel

How, in Hades, does the Sermon on the Mount reveal the shortcomings of ATS?

Would you please be so kind as to explain it explicitly in a general orthographic sense so we can all benefit from it no matter what colloquialisms we are used to?

posted on Oct, 28 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by masqua
reply to post by Rigel

How, in Hades, does the Sermon on the Mount reveal the shortcomings of ATS?

You say so. Shall I try to explain your own thoughts from my very french brain through the subtleties of your proper mothertongue ? Gonna try it for every ATS fellow benefit...

Being an ATS member is feeling as being misled by the System and seeking the Truth despite evil sycophants who rule it.

But ATS members probably seek truth in the wrong place. There's no truth, there are facts. Truth is the Spirit. The spirit is within everybody. Seeking truth outside the body is the beginning of the fall.

Forget what your biological father told you to do : do what you like (not what you will).

Behave like the little child does. Your Spiritual Father will fulfill your needs.

Average ATS member feels betrayed ? He is not.
Average ATS member seeks the truth out there ? It is within him.
Average ATS member believe he's right ? He's wrong.

I guess those are your deepest feeling. But I'm probably wrong...

The Sermon on the Mountain could be as well taken as a mean to justifie ATS. That was my point. Not yours. Am I wrong ?

Real christianism is anarchism. Do not call anybody father as your father is in heaven.

Got it ?

From France, with love...

new topics

top topics

join