It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do children hear voices?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 10:42 AM
link   
The last couple of nights my Granddaughter, who just turned three has complained about hearing people talking in her ears.

The first night her Mother came and told me that she told her that people were talking in her ears and that they were laughing at her. The mother got qtips and cleaned her ear and seemed to eleviate the problem.

Later that night Aeonna told me that her mommy "Got him off me" using the Qtip.

Last night while we were watching a movie the girl told me that "they are talking in my ears" we tried the Qtip thing and at first it didn't work, her mother cleaned out the ears and the child kept saying "Do it some more" when it appeared to not work we gave Aeonna the Qtip and she messed with her ears for a few minutes and we didn't hear anything else about it.

I understand that hearing voices is normal as far as imaginary friends and all, but I don't see this to fit that.

Has anyone else dealt with something like this?

Any advice or input would be helpful.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
This is definitely a most unusual case. I know that children are naturally attuned to the psychic world because they haven't receive a lifetime of programming to believe otherwise yet. Considering her mother was able to alleviate the problem the first time would suggest that it has something to do with her and her mother. Or it may be a certain energy field that her mother was emitting at the time that she was doing it that warded away the entity/thingie.

But, as long as she is not having night terrors or claiming that a dead monster is trying to kill her in her sleep, I'd say it was nothing to worry about.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Well, children do seem to be in-tune to something that us adults aren't. However, the whole QTIP thing makes it sound as if she may be suffering from some sort of ear infection.

Could she be hearing the voices of some other dimensional creatures? Possibly. However, I think one has to look for possible physical causes before they jump to the conclusion that it is something ultra-dimensional.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
Ok stop jabbing q-tips in her ear this could damage them, try Ear candling you can get them at most health food store's. Or stores like GNC.

Trust me I had a kid with ear infections one right after another, we candled his ear and he went almost a year till he had another, he ended up needing tubes.

My other son talked to people that didn't seem to be there. He drew what looked like a guardian angle on this wall by his bed when he was around 4 years old. It was like he was on a different radio station than everybody else.

Too bad these type of things are forgotten as you get older.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:33 AM
link   
Thanks for the replies.

I thought about an ear infection that may cause tickling, itching, or even pain, but I don't know how that would translate to voices and specific things like the mention of "them laughing at me" or even to translate it to be a male in the statement "mommy got him off me."

Last night when it came up we were watching a movie which we had to turn off because she thought it was scary. It was early into the movie when she said she was hearing the people talking in her ears.

I wonder if she was scared the first time and is manifesting it (fear) in a physical way.

My daughter has been living in the apartment for about 3 months now. She has told me that she has felt something in there that scares her. The accounts she related to me didn't really cause any concern on my part. Hearing sounds and things falling on their own. Those little things, when happening to someone else don't tend to cause much alarm, unless they happen to you! At least that is how it is in my case. But I am adding it in just in case there is a connection that I am not seeing.

I hope it just passes right on by as a "stage" because it is hard to handle something that doesn't make sense and I feel helpless to know what to do to help her.

It is just kind of creepy and scary that a child could be vulnerable and unable to communicate accurately what is going on.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by LDragonFire

My other son talked to people that didn't seem to be there. He drew what looked like a guardian angle on this wall by his bed when he was around 4 years old. It was like he was on a different radio station than everybody else.

Too bad these type of things are forgotten as you get older.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by LDragonFire]

Yes it is. We lose something with age, Dragon...

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Interested, is she exposed to a lot of loud noise? Over a period of time a person who is exposed to a lot of loud noise will hear auditory abberations. I can't imagine that applying to a three year old child, but it's a thought.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by SpeakerofTruth]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SpeakerofTruth

No not really with the loud noise exposure because everyone she hangs out with lives in apartments and you can't do loud because of the neighbors.

She is bright, demanding, and the center of attention by her mother, aunt, and myself. There are no other developmental or any other questionable behaviors with her. Her mom does play emotional mind games with her at times, but not bad enough to drive her over the edge already!

I can't really draw any conclusions at this point.

I guess I was really hoping for alot of others to be experiencing this so I could attribute it to "the thinning of the veil" or something mysterious but explainable.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:47 AM
link   
When I was maybe 11 or 12 I too started having voices in my ears.
It started as whispers then grew in loudness and became pretty much unbearable to the point where I would have to stop whatever I was doing and get out of the room.
These voices were not clear in what they were saying but there seemed to be dozens of them all talking at once.
Can I also mention that this was at a time when I was starting puberty.
That was 20 years ago and only lasted a few years but is still a very vivid memory.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

I guess I was really hoping for alot of others to be experiencing this so I could attribute it to "the thinning of the veil" or something mysterious but explainable.

Well, it may be attributable to that. I wouldn't rule it out...

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by introxic
These voices were not clear in what they were saying but there seemed to be dozens of them all talking at once.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I guess these things have been happening to people for a long time without rational explanations. That is fortunate that you outgrew it but it is not so good that it lasted a few years!

You speak of more than one voice like she did. At first she said "they" and then changed it to "him" then "voices" again. Plural.

I just hope it goes away soon, I don't want to make a big deal about it with her but it is scary to me.

Wig

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I have on occasion heard voices, when my mind is starved of sleep, so the propensity to hallucinate is heightened, also when stoned (not drunk) I have heard voices, the peaceful relaxed state of being stoned must also open your mind to similar hallucinations.

Children being less evolved wil also "hear voices" I put it down to the same effect, an hallucination which they have notyet learned to control.

When you look at clouds or other patterned things the mind tends to want to see faces, to is the same thing, when you hallucinate sound you tend to want to hear voices/laughter. She will eventually learn to ignore it and it will be forgotten about Or she will continue to hear them and she will stop telling you, because telling you has no effect (you can't hear them so you are not much help) if she does this IMO she is latching on to her hallucinations (believing they are real) and this could lead to problems in later life.

Wig

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by introxicThese voices were not clear in what they were saying but there seemed to be dozens of them all talking at once.

That's exactly what I heard when I hallucinated, I tried to make sense out of the voices but never could.

The child in OP has simply taken the hallucination/imagination a step further.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:07 PM
link   
It could be that she's got water in her ears from a bath or shower. Sometimes it can make crackling or hissing noises. Maybe that's what she's hearing and she thinks it's laughing. Kids do have a powerful imagination. Keep her away from scary films too. One wrong movie at the wrong time can have an ever-lasting effect on a child. I grew up on them and now I'm a right morbid old bag, lol.

[edit on 23-10-2007 by wigit]

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:32 PM
link   
What is most often described are multiple voices that start out softly and then continually get louder until it almost sounds like a sports stadium. This would happen to me at age 5, or at least that's the last time I can remember it. At the time I actually thought it was normal and never even talked about it.

I also had lots of ear infections on the order of 3 a year with lesser problems associated with wax buildup the rest of the time. I see a possible connection here with the OP and IMO the child has no other way of describing her discomfort.

I would definitely get her ears checked out.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry its actually quite common for children and adults to hear voices.

Hearing Voices: Some People Like It
www.livescience.com...

The article says that alot of people that do not have schizophrenia hear voices. They guessed it was around 4% of the population.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by elusivetruth
I wouldn't worry its actually quite common for children and adults to hear voices.

This is quite true and I actually started to add that to my post but I didn't feel it was relevant in this case.

Good point though!

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I really don't think there is anything abnormal with her. If she had a medical condition, from schizophrenia to an ear infection, then she would have other symptoms than hearing voices. Young children might not be able to effectively communicate their symptoms through language, but they can express pain and discomfort, usually by crying. (No "lifetime of programming" here.) An ear infection causes plenty of pain and discomfort.

She's not crazy, and probably not psychic either. The voices are multiple and indistinct as well, making me suspect auditory pareidolia, something natural especially for someone her age.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 08:34 PM
link   
Wow, good responses for this topic.

I do feel somewhat calmer and reassured hearing from all of you who have either shared your own experience with this or who have offered their own ideas about it.

I guess I will not worry, but try to be there to listen and offer her reassurance unless she does become distressed about it.

It is one those subjects that you leave not really knowing anymore than you came in with, yet you aren't alone with your lack of understanding and just have to expect things that you won't understand.

But where do the voices and or hallucinations come from?

I guess that is something we won't ever know for sure.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by interestedalways

It is one those subjects that you leave not really knowing anymore than you came in with, yet you aren't alone with your lack of understanding and just have to expect things that you won't understand.

Too many things are like that. sometimes you just have to accept an explanation given and say, "To hell with it." However, I would keep a close eye on her, regardless of the cause.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join