It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Should the Yankees Bring Back Joe Torre?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 08:32 AM
link   
What do you guys think? Was '07 Joe Torre's last year? I think it's very possible. If he doesn't leave, then he will probobly only come back for one more year. Maybe the Yanks will want a new manager to go with their new ballpark in 2009. Should he stay or should he go?

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:03 PM
link   
I think he should stay.
He has already proven to be a winner.
I honestly think he is gone from the Yankees though.
And it'll be a shame to see him leave NY.
He will land on his feet though,a great coach like him will have no problem finding a new coaching job.
NY's loss will be another teams gain.
And the guy who steps in as the NY coach will have huge shoes to fill,good luck to him.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:23 PM
link   
If they ask him to stay he should leave. Who the hell wants to work in an environment like the one in the Bronx? That said, I don't think he's very good at what he does. Before y'all point out the banners, championships and titles, let me point out the talent afforded him and the failures of that talent. The failure of the players is the coach's fault (to some degree). When you are given that much talent, your main purpose is to keep them motivated. He has a hard time doing that because he's so damned laid back. His "method" was passed to Willie Randolph, who's like a corpse anyway, and the lack of fire is evident in the team's on field persona. Sure, these guys can crush the ball, that's why they won as often as they did. But, when you throw them against a team that's got talent, heart and desire, the playing field is evened out thanks to the yankee's complete lack of fire.

He's gone. Steinbrenner won't want to contradict himself twice. The problem will be finding someone who wants to step in and fill the bill after the long, successful run Torre oversaw. Sure, it's still the same job for the next guy but they will be compared to Torre, with regards to making the playoffs and the win loss records and that is going to be too much for most to handle.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Torre rejects Yankees' contract offer

Well, that answers that. I wish he would of stayed, I like him. But what can you do...

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

By chance are you a Red Sox fan?
Lol.

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 06:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Black_Fox

Or a Mets fan

I predict great struggles for the Yankees in the future. Along with not having Joe Torre, they will be leaving a ball park with so much winning history, it's sure to put a jinx on 'em.

Then, the Mets will then become the new Yankees.

You heard it here first!

[edit on 10/18/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I'm a baseball fan. The Mets are my preferred team but I'll watch it for the game and I always root against the yankees. Bunch of overpaid, underachieving whiners. Torre telling Steinbrenner to get lost is awesome. Sadly, I doubt Torre will have much success as a manager elsewhere.

posted on Oct, 23 2007 @ 11:32 AM
link   
Torre has forgotten how to manage baseball, but its not all his fault, GM Cashman has much fault too, if you want to win baseball you need pitching, talent and speed, the Yankees have been making the playoffs for the last years on talent alone, no speed, no pitching.

To win in the playoff you got to play small ball, a hit here a hit there, a bunt here and there to move the runners over and score first in order to put pressure on the other team and take some of from their starting pitching, in many instances the Yankees had guys on first and sometimes in first and second no out and Torre did not bunt, only to see his players hit to DP's or strikeout or pop out. There is no excuse for that, managers got to manage he has not don't that, I remember back in the mid 90's when Bernie would still a base, Jeter stealing, they had speed and they would use it to put pressure on the other team. The last years no one bunts, no one steal bases, just relying on the HR is not going to cut it no more.

top topics

join