It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Stephen Colbert is running for President

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 03:55 AM
link   

NEW YORK (AP) — Stephen Colbert announced his candidacy for president on "The Colbert Report" on Tuesday night, tossing his satirical hat into the ring of an already crowded race.

"I shall seek the office of the President of the United States," announced Colbert on his Comedy Central show, as balloons fell around him.

Colbert had recently satirized the coyness of would-be presidential candidates by refusing to disclose whether he would seek the country's highest office — a refusal that often came without any prompting.

Read full story here

I'm not sure if this is good or bad. I think Colbert is amusing and I don't think he's part of the elite. But, can people take him seriously?

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:39 AM
link   
From the article, it is tough to tell if this is for real or not. If he runs, I would give him my vote before a lot of other candidates. I think it would be interesting to see how this pans out, if it is true.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:46 AM
link   
i love this line:
"Both. I can lose twice."
when asked what party he would run for.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 06:28 AM
link   
I always thought it would be interesting if he and Jon would throw their hat in the race ... but, I don't quite believe it yet until I see him at a debate.

I think he would be beneficial to a candidate for them to say he would be their VP ... such as Kucinich or Paul.

It would force the media to swing attention to either one of those who currently get all but snubbed.

Well, I can't wait for further news on this and watch it in context. I will have to get someone I know with cable to DVR the repeat.

Thanks for the info

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:29 AM
link   
yes even hulk hogan has also been known to run for president.

yes, its a joke.

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:36 AM
link   
lol It may not be the best thing for this country but it would surely make the debate's the most viewed show on television.

Id pay good money to watch Jon Stewart and Stephen Colbert manhandle the candidates in a debate

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   
I think Colbert and Stewart not only entertain but educate. On that I am 100% serious if nothing else. It is amazing the "info-clout" they possess.

Both are capable of writing their own material (when not too swamped with laundry) and Colbert in particular has experience in international relations. His diplomacy is meat and potatoes; no foolin' around. Only need to hear it once. I've seen both work without a script and not seemingly "care".

"Crepes" Colbert, having soundly and practically single-handedly trounced Canada during the Super-Series-That-Must-Not-End could lead to expanded trade opportunities for the US and even longer lines at the border of folks waiting to spend and supply the economy with vibrant and expensive waiting. That means enhanced border security from gridlock. So Coach "Crepes" Colbert for me. Good fellow to pour a couple fifths or a 26-er, maybe a Texas-Mickey of Seagrams into I'm sure - strong constitution, that fellow.

Don't underestimate the value of Stewart internationally either tho' - Bien-sur, Il' est L'homme du fromage plus trop de pneu-fraiche fomidable sur le fentre-nouvelle, non? Wa?... he is so big in the Middle-East that folks of all cultures watch, but with the North American "not-liberal by their own descriptions" maybe - "not-so-much". A real gentleman's gentleman, classy, statesman-like even. Perfect for those delicate situations that Colbert would be not-enough "not-fist-in-your-face" as the more humoured, graceful and elegant Stewart. He has a certain, "Je ne c'est quoi" - make no mistake.

They both already know everyone in government and media and I think it might be a challenge to find an American who wouldn't defend their their prerogative to make the attempt. Both can find Canada on a map so... 23 Ski-Doo here in The Sovereign Dominion Of Great White North That-Is-Not-Now Nor-Ever-Will-Be Part Of The United Of America" or any non-sovereign hypothetical conglomeration. We know much about you and you know so little of us - this should change for your edification and interest.

An Aside And A Promise: We have the Mercer-device, give that some thought and Danny Williams wouldn't be afraid to unleash a torrent of non-lethal laughter that would... well, that's classified. Suffice it to say you'd be fighting well-above-your-weight. Your finest comedic-gladiators are "almost as good" but you lack the depth of bench and are hampered by the lack of new material. Everybody is funny in Canada, it's the unspoken-social-pact we have with Winter, Maple Syrup and Curling. You? Our fine friends below the 49th parallel only have one Steven Wright. We have our comedians-as-agents everywhere in your media and culture and you have but few here. You will be "laugh-similated".

I want a shared international component though. I propose John Wing and Sean Majumder as Ambassadors with Beldar Conehead as a shared ambassador to Remulak and all other sentient "newcomers" with rotating former SNL talent every second Tuesday of every month to co-incide with Microsoft "patch" Tuesday.

Above all: Don't. Ever. Make. Us. Activate. The. Shatner. Bomb.

We'll use it if we have to - don't make us, we can stop time between each spoken word planet-wide. Enough. No more threats of humour among friends who used to share the longest and most beautiful undefended border in the history of mankind.

Arnold got elected n'est pa? In "Cal-e-for-ne-ah" I think, doin' a good job by some accounts - gets (or used to get) his cigars in Montreal same place as me... Cuban - finest quality - exceedingly, no - ghastly expensive. Not to mention Arnold's longest biz relationship with the French-Canadian Paragon Joe Weider. California - Ontario trade is actually quite impressive.

Colbert is an American I feel I can trust - he is consistent and carries himself more "Presdentially" in dire-times than Jon Stewart (a fine man and a great split ticket Veep, good guy to buy a Canadian beer for). What about an entirely write-in vote? Does America have that voting option in any jurisdiction?

Colbert will tell it straight - there will be conflict - there will be a hockey match - honour will be at stake - winner gets the Russkies.

We will co-exist in harmony in search of a shared and enlightened future... soon our shared comedy-ecology will take over the planet and folks will spontaneously smile - they won't be able to stop smiling with a snicker stifled by only good grace and the decorum of respect and the fact that we all - planet wide could use a little - fun. It's that serious.

I issue an open challenge - I throw the gaunlet of Canadian daring down to Colbert and Stewart and challenge them openly to come to ATS as members in good standing and debate me in defense of this obivious and blatant and inflammatory waffling they perpetrate. I'm waiting - "Crepes", Mister Stewart? Bring it to "ATS". Bring the good stuff. I need no second. En-garde!

Have an absolutely great day! Some folks only live once, so you might as well live it up - enjoy what you comfortably can.

Cheers,

Vic

This international good-will public service ad was paid for by The Committee for the Advancement of User-Generated-Comedy-Content and the Ministry of Smiles-Are-Free-And-Save-Energy (a non-profit-viral-meme-agency).

[edit on 17-10-2007 by V Kaminski]

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 07:43 PM
link   
I think he just wants to win one delegate so he can have a show around it at the convention.

My personal feelings on the guy are inconclusive, his layers are many and it is rare when you get a real emotional read on him.

A couple reads where when O'Reilly yelled at him, he went into fear and then a kind of lower posturing that was a bit of submission.

He allowed the owner of the media company (he called him the crypt keeper) to make him stand up and move when he said Simon says, the owner was showing his puppeteering.

Although his comment on the tasering of 'don't taz me bro' guy he showed a emotional dislike of all those that sat and did nothing.

He is a tough one though, he wears that ego well, yet it seems to be the way he wishes he could act, but doing it with a different agenda.

A few of my observations, although I have to say I only watch him occasionally.

One more instance, Balls of Steel when he roasted Bush at the News correspondence dinner.

The Hindenburg

I also think Colbert has been courted by some power brokers, It seems the naming of a plane after him by Virgin Airlines, and a few other oddities seem to be an invite for him into the club.

[edit on 17-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 18 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   
now we just need jon stewart on the ticket and my "stewart colbert 08" shirt will be incredibly topical

posted on Nov, 2 2007 @ 10:36 PM
link   
The real story is how it ended.

The South Carolina Democratic party rejected his bid to be put on the ballet, and they did it with smug conceit.

This is why are congress is bought and sold by corporations, if a dozen elites do not agree that you 'fit' and would make a good congressmen or president, you do not get on the ballot.

Forget his qualifications, he had more support then two mainstream candidates, yet he was disqualified by a few elites. This is the system that maintains our dictatorship.

On a side note, the comments he made before he took the phone call were repeated back to him by the lady on the phone, either she was privey to the script he was going to use, or she had someone listening in the audience.

Her comments seemed to be a responce to his comments he made before he spoke to her on the phone.

top topics

join