It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

turkey: parliament to OK incursion into northern iraq

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   

turkey: parliament to OK incursion into northern iraq

www.bloomberg.com

Oct. 16 (Bloomberg) -- Turkish Prime Minister Recep Tayyip Erdogan said the parliament will approve plans for an incursion into northern Iraq to attack Kurdish militants, defying a U.S. demand to show restraint.

There is a ``common will'' among lawmakers to sanction a cross-border assault when they vote on the proposal tomorrow, Erdogan told a televised meeting of his party in Ankara. He said a military strike would come under international laws governing self-defense.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 04:24 PM
link   
ive been following this story carefully. we have failed to protect our ally from the PKK a kurdish terrorist organization, and in turn turkey let us use there country as a staging area for equipment coming into iraq. now turkey is taking matters into there own hands and despite US warnings planning on moving into northern iraq. i saw this coming but i thought it may be the result of a mass exodus and then turkey taking action in iraq, however this wasnt the case. many people have been assosciating this with the armenian genocide bil but i think that was just the straw that broke the camels back. im glad to see turkey ignoring criticismt to do whats best for its people. i hope the US doesnt take action when they do it would anger me to no end to see us turn on such a good ally. and this could all be solved if we would simply do the same thing were already doing to al-qeada in the region to the PKK. but it wont happen.

www.bloomberg.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Consider your thread flagged.

If they went ahead with this, it would mean that something VERY BIG was happening - Iraq is still on the world stage, and this may just stir up some contradictory elements of what the allied forces in Iraq at this very minute intend to do about it.

A few questions that pop into my head would be along the lines of;

1 Are we simply going to let them roll in and take 'action' against a group of people whom appear to have absolutely nothing to do with turkey?

and

2 The kurds themselves were shat upon from a great height by saddam's family, If we were to ignore the fact that they are once again being targeted for no good reason other than simply being kurdish, wouldn't that be a little hypocritical?

finally

3 if we were to take military action (
) wouldn't that make an enemy against a group with quite a bit of sway in that area of the world?

possible conspiracy: Current prime minister of turkey was once foreign secretary, therefore he may have had contact with people of other nations whom he may be collaborating with and consequentially subverting the people who voted for him with the express purpose of 'pciking on the kurds'.

That said, and the lack of personal concentration required to research it myself, What is it that people have against the kurds anyway?

posted on Oct, 16 2007 @ 07:16 PM
link   

its not the kurds as much as the PKK the kurdish workers party. which has been launching rocket attacks into turkey for quite a while. im very worried if the turks invade that we will take action and lose a valuable supply route for iraq further complicating our situation.

new topics

top topics

join