It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

multi wu simultainiously

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 05:52 PM
link   
any program other than seti-keeper for this? they wont make a goddamn 98 port.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:58 AM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
any program other than seti-keeper for this? they wont make a goddamn 98 port.

Hi fswfer!

I've got no experience of this i'm afraid. Sorry

There is a thread www.abovetopsecret.com... which discusses around this point. Perhaps you could read through these posts and see if they cover what you need to know?

nwscc is our "resident" expert at all things to do with multiple "crunching". Perhaps you could U2U him specifically if you need further advice?? Sorry I can't help further...

Good luck! Please come back and tell us if you disciover anything we need to know as a team!!

who

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 06:42 PM
link   
My brother is a software engineer and after i got some advice on how others have done multiple work units i had him help me set it up. Although my computer has an AMD Barton 3000 processor and 1 gig on PC2700 ramm, it still took just as long to do each work unit. double the time to do 2 work units. nothing was gained, at least not for me.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 07:12 PM
link   
seti@home is very cpu intensive. One will not see a boost from trying to do multiple work units at the same time on a single processor.

I run seti on a 4 processor Origin system. 4 instances of setiathome running. That is really the only way to do multiple wu's at the same time and see a difference.

Here is where I run setiathome:
1 CPU Sparc Station (SunOS)
4 CPU Origin server (Irix)
1 CPU AMD 1900+ (Windows XP)
1 CPU Intel celeron 700 (Windows 98)

Unfortunately setiathome is not ported to a Cray. I would like to see the numbers. Probably could compare it to a G5 (is the G4 vector?).

Of course the Cray I would run it on has 4 vector units, so I think it might be quite fast. Oh well.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 07:16 PM
link   
Hehe, I am content just doing 1 wu at a time.

I don't notice any slow performance, and I play online games all the time, with win amp running and seti going.

I just let it run basically all the time, I hardly turn off my computer...

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I'm running www.nwscc.com... on my system. I am running an Intel 3.0 HT 800MHz with 2 gig crucial ddr400 ram on a Giga-byte 8IPE 1000 pro board. I guess I see a performance increase because of the hyper threading (emulates dual processors) now trying out working 5 at a time with them completing in 3 hours and 37 minutes. Only thing noticibly different is the cpu temp running at 120 degrees F instead of 98 degrees. www.nwscc.com...

I also run 20 WUs at a time on an Intel Aspen series server quad 550 with 2 gig ram. Those 20 complete in 10 hours. www.nwscc.com... recently added Seti@home to another computer I just built for my daughter 1800 Athlon XP 1 gig ram. Just doing one WU at a time there though. AMD processors get to hot. almost a 30 degree temp difference between AMD and Intel at max load.

Thanks Genya!

ps. everyone sign my guestbook. www.nwscc.com...

[Edited on 26-1-2004 by nwscc]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 03:51 AM
link   
Thanx for all the info folks!!

There's some *serious* equipment out there!!

Out of interest, Crayon, any idea how fast a Cray *could* crunch a WU? I'd imagine it would be quite spectacular but could you give an indication please??

(Besides, a Cray would look awesome in your computer shack, wouldn't it?!!
)

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Genya
Thanx for all the info folks!!

There's some *serious* equipment out there!!

Out of interest, Crayon, any idea how fast a Cray *could* crunch a WU? I'd imagine it would be quite spectacular but could you give an indication please??

(Besides, a Cray would look awesome in your computer shack, wouldn't it?!!
)

Laf, yeah, there was a joke while I was a Senior in college that I had a Cray in my closet.

If I had to guess, if the FFT libraries are optomized (which I believe they are on the new Cray X1), then pretty fast. Just looked at the stats, and am going to base my GUESS on one of the Alpha's listed. I have to make a few assumptions though. I am going to assume this is the latest Alpha and its vectorized.

So based on that, I am going to GUESS somewhere between 10 and 30 minutes per WU. There is always a chance it could run faster, but it all depends on the algorithms and how much work outside of just number crunching is needed.

I still would like to get the algorithms used and see how fast they run, but not sure if seti@home would even allow me to have those.

[Edited on 1/27/04 by crayon]

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:04 PM
link   
Thanx crayon for all the info!!

10-30 mins? Now, that would be fast!!

I wonder if ATS mods would like to buy one for the team?!!

Start saving up, people, shall we go on eBay and place an advert for a seconf hand Cray?

who

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:32 PM
link   
This may be a stupid question, but what is a Cray?

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by who

There are no stupid questions. Not everybody knows about Cray.

Cray Inc.

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 02:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by who

No worries who!!

The "Cray"'s were talkingabout are Cray Super Computers - www.cray.com...

"For example, the AHPCRC was able to run the NCAR/Penn State Mesoscale Weather Forecast Model (MM5) application for a 24-hour weather forecast at a resolution of 5-kilometers for the entire United States in only 3.5 hours. Current operational weather models for the United States are typically run at a resolution of 10 kilometers due to the demanding computational and memory requirements of smaller resolutions. "

Check them out - they are awesome (but serious money!!)

who

posted on Jan, 27 2004 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. Does anyone know any actual specs on these monsters? power consumption, hardware, cost? just wondered. Very cool systems from what i read!

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 09:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by who
Thanks for the answers, much appreciated. Does anyone know any actual specs on these monsters? power consumption, hardware, cost? just wondered. Very cool systems from what i read!

Hi who!!

Have alook at the site again and the pdf files - here's an example:

"CPUs16, 64, 256, 512, 1024, 2048, 4096,

MEMORY
64 - 256 GB
256 � 1024 GB
1024 � 4096 GB
2048 � 8192 GB
4096 � 16384 GB
8192 � 32768 GB
16384 � 65536 GB

PEAK PERFORMANCE
204.8 Gflops
819.0 Gflops
3.3 Tflops
6.6 Tflops
13.1 Tflops
26.2 Tflops
52.4 Tflops
52.4 Tflops in a 64 cabinet configuration"

4096 CPU's? 65 536 GB's? 52.4 TeraFlops??

Makes *my* SETI@home cruncher look quite tame!!

who

posted on Jan, 28 2004 @ 11:30 AM
link   
That is some truely remarkable equipment. I would love to see the cost on that thing, and the power consumption numbers.

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 08:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by who
.. I would love to see the cost on that thing,...

Hi who!!

It's probably like what they used to say about buying a Rolls Royce: if you have to ask the price, you can't afford it!!

Certainly, I don't think you can drop into your nearest computer store and buy one discounted?

posted on Jan, 29 2004 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by nwscc
I'm running www.nwscc.com... on my system. I am running an Intel 3.0 HT 800MHz with 2 gig crucial ddr400 ram on a Giga-byte 8IPE 1000 pro board. I guess I see a performance increase because of the hyper threading (emulates dual processors) now trying out working 5 at a time with them completing in 3 hours and 37 minutes. Only thing noticibly different is the cpu temp running at 120 degrees F instead of 98 degrees. www.nwscc.com...

I also run 20 WUs at a time on an Intel Aspen series server quad 550 with 2 gig ram. Those 20 complete in 10 hours. www.nwscc.com... recently added Seti@home to another computer I just built for my daughter 1800 Athlon XP 1 gig ram. Just doing one WU at a time there though. AMD processors get to hot. almost a 30 degree temp difference between AMD and Intel at max load.

Thanks Genya!

ps. everyone sign my guestbook. www.nwscc.com...

back ontopic, i cant run DOS seti, onscreen keyboard and all...

posted on Jan, 30 2004 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by forsakenwayfarer
back ontopic, i cant run DOS seti, onscreen keyboard and all...

But SETI@home client is ok I take it?

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 03:55 PM
link   
Why not get hundreds of xboxes and link them in a computer cluster and they use them as a supercomputer.

posted on Feb, 5 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by cloudx
Why not get hundreds of xboxes and link them in a computer cluster and they use them as a supercomputer.

I have *one* XBox cx, I'm not sure I could afford "hundreds" of them unfortunately
And, if I could, I'd probably go for a "dedicated" SETI-cruncher anyway (though not a Cray, because they are *way* out of my league!!)

top topics

join