It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This is it the best burgerjoint overall

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 06:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by yeahright
The Nugget Diner in Reno serves a burger called "The Awful Awful". And just like Smucker's, with a name like that, it has to be good.

I've always wanted to try an In and Out Burger ever since I saw it in The Big Lebowski.

You, must come back to Reno.
Awful Awful, immediately followed by a couple of In And Out's Animal style burgers. Yes, we have In and Out now!
You will be blissfully miserable after..LOL

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   
oh god i hate those stores their food is the worst, the only thin i can eat from mcdonnalds is the nuggets and even so i still feeel crappy afterwards

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 12:23 AM
link   
McDonald's actually has high standards, if the crew and management lives up to it. That usually isn't the case. It is real beef and potatoes and all as well

When I ate meat, I agree, Checkers was good, Hardees too. Checkers, Arbys, and Juicy Lucy fries are all really good. When Whataburger opened here, it was really good, but, the quality dwindled with haste. I almost miss meat remembering the taste, but my mind can't deal with the though of it being flesh ... which is the reason. Not because of a diet, not as much because it is taking life (since plants are alive too) ... I won't get into it any further, since I don't wish to ruin it for anyone else

We have/had a local place that served a good hamburger the size of a plate, if you could eat it all, it was free.

There is nothing like a 'mom & pop' restaurant for the best of most foods. The chains have to make sacrifices in taste for production speed and profit margins. Though some of those 'fancy' chain restaurants do have some great stuff, even simple things like burgers.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 12:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by FreeThinkerIdealist
McDonald's actually has high standards, if the crew and management lives up to it. That usually isn't the case. It is real beef and potatoes and all as well

When I ate meat, I agree, Checkers was good, Hardees too. Checkers, Arbys, and Juicy Lucy fries are all really good. When Whataburger opened here, it was really good, but, the quality dwindled with haste. I almost miss meat remembering the taste, but my mind can't deal with the though of it being flesh ... which is the reason. Not because of a diet, not as much because it is taking life (since plants are alive too) ... I won't get into it any further, since I don't wish to ruin it for anyone else

We have/had a local place that served a good hamburger the size of a plate, if you could eat it all, it was free.

There is nothing like a 'mom & pop' restaurant for the best of most foods. The chains have to make sacrifices in taste for production speed and profit margins. Though some of those 'fancy' chain restaurants do have some great stuff, even simple things like burgers.

ah you have been brainwashed somehow into thinking meat is bad in fact you need meat and its not like you eat it raw, maybe you need a good cook

do you eat eggs if so u are basically eating a whole chicken guts and all jajaja

life is short my friend and god gave you choppers so use them just dont eat stuff like other humans

umm i so wana get a bbq on right now

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 05:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by razor1000

ah you have been brainwashed somehow into thinking meat is bad in fact you need meat and its not like you eat it raw, maybe you need a good cook

do you eat eggs if so u are basically eating a whole chicken guts and all jajaja

life is short my friend and god gave you choppers so use them just dont eat stuff like other humans

umm i so wana get a bbq on right now

Nope, I don't eat eggs I don't eat seafood foul, anything like that.

No, I have not been brainwashed. No, you don't need meat. Yes, I have eaten nearly raw meat before. No, I don't need a good cook, I have eaten some very fine pieces of meat from very high brow restaurants before.

A lot of the flavor of meat comes from the seasonings and sauces ... not all, but a lot ... so there is a lot of dishes that can be made just as good without a meat base.

I eat candy with these chompers just fine, as well as some wonderful veggie dishes. I actually tricked my family and made a spaghetti sauce they thought had meat in it, but, it was veggie meat.

I used to eat a lot of bacon, a lot of all you can eat bbq sliced pork and ribs, loved fried hot wings (the hottest they had) ... I know about meat ... it was about all I used to eat.

If you think you need meat for protein, that is a misconception. Soy, lentils, beans, etc. have plenty of protein. There are ways to get vitamins and minerals too.

If you must know, I stopped eating meat about 6 months to a year after working in the processing side of a beef slaughterhouse. Part of the orientation, other than constantly running videos during the application and interview process, is a full tour of the plant. I saw them from the trucks, the hook in the leg, the metal rod they shoot in the skull, the piercing of the heart and draining of the blood, the heads on chains, skinning, cutting in half, etc. I pulled a nice piece of tendon on a section of leg ... I was so in shock being there I don't even remember the name of the cut. I did enjoy wearing the chainmail sleeves and apron, glove ... and the long white coat. Learned how to properly sharpen knives and to keep them sharp. It was an experience. The problem is, dealing with it on that level, and not just the cooked end product magnified the already sporadic idea popping in my head of what I was eating.

It started with a friend talking about her cats disappearing while we were eating chinese food, and mentioning the texture and color of the meat. I noticed how stringy it was, which is something I never paid much attention to before. I couldn't get the thought of cats out of my head, and I couldn't eat any more. It took me a while after that. Back to bliss, I was eating boiled corned beef roast ... and the stringiness really stuck out. For some reason, it grossed me out, though I had eaten such a thing many, many times before in my life. So, I just stayed away from it, still ate it processed in corned beef hash.

I had also watched faces of death and saw some gruesome websites with the friend, and watched some medical programs ... not pleasant memories burned in my mind ...

so, forward back to the beef plant, I have all these flashes in my head while cutting the meat ... sinking into my subconscious, as I was again, shocked by the original tour I was partly dazed out everyday as I went in. I still ate meat for quite a while ... I left because of a family illness and moved out of state.

Fast forward ... I slowly started to consume less meat. I no longer would touch hot dogs or sausages (the casing is disgusting), and eliminated some other foods that I had learned what they were made out of ... like things derived from bone marrow and such. I ate very little off of bones, except for hot wings. The last time I ate meat was eating hot wings from my favorite place ... I had several veins get stuck in my teeth and it just flipped me over the edge
. The veins, the muscle tissue, the blood, the bones ... I freaked out and became completely disgusted. I wouldn't even touch ground meats because I knew they were still tissue ground up. I see the larger part now, not the final product.

I have nothing against those who eat meat. I said that my choice wasn't a diet, my choice wasn't for the pure humanitarian reasons for I which I could full claim. I am not lacto-vegetarian/fruitarian because it is trendy. I am because I have a 'Monk-ish' ocd imagery when meat is placed in front of me. I don't restrict others from eating it in front of me, I don't refrain from places that sell and cook it. I don't like the smell, but it is tolerable to an extent. I still like the smell of hickory burning. I do make sure that when I eat something fried, it is not cooked in the same fryer as a meat product of any kind. I inspect the ingredients for meat powder, meat fats, etc.

I do so because this is my choice for now. Because I don't have a choice in my mind.

But I do disagree with meat eaters setting an agenda against non-meat eaters ... spreading lies that meat is required. That you shouldn't raise children without meat in their diet. It is just untrue. If a parent or person is planning a well-balanced diet, it can be done with or without meat, and with or without products with meat derivatives. It is a choice to a person or parent to make an educated decision and choice. It is much better to have a well-rounded vegan diet than a off balanced omnivorous diet and vice versa.

I will try to do my best to counter that brainwashing campaign set forth by the meat industry (and even dairy). Those products are in no way necessary for life. Lots of people enjoy the taste, good for them, and I support their choice ... but, I ask for the same respect in return. Respect my choice.

If anyone is considering a vegetarian/vegan/fruitarian diet/lifestyle/choice ... then research it fully for yourself. I may make an article one day, but right now I don't have the time to give it the effort it needs.

I cannot promise I will never eat meat again, but at them moment, I don't plan to. Looking at my fish who is almost 10" long and will grow to nearly 2 ft long ... I couldn't imagine eating him ... so when I think of fish, I think of my pet. When I see red meat, I think human flesh, when I see bird meat, I think feline. This is the main cause of me not eating meat. I don't expect anyone to understand how I feel, but leave me be.

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeThinkerIdealist

well yeah seeing that willmess up a lot of people for a while and i totally understand you and i hear what you are saying and i agree with you about everything you said about chicken and such.

i dont like the sight of blood personally but that pertains mostly to human mainly my own blood it makes me queesy but when i see a nice piece of steak before i eat it the first thing i imagine is how juicy its going to be and what the texture is going to feel like.

that stringyneww is just texture even plants have texture or stringyness its just softer on them when you cook them.

i dont like sausage cuz i know its the worst parts of the pigs much less a blood sausage thats just gross to me but hotdogs are great specially those sold on the corner out of those little shopping things.

i tried vegie burgers once but my tstebuds and sensory perception totally rejected it theres very little resemblance there. i dont eat bacon unless on a cheese burger cuz its like 100% fat.

the reason i like to eat meat the most has to be because i somehow just feel satisfied totally.

do you eat Jello cuz some jello has cow blood for pigment

this reminds me of the time i got sick from eating out of date lays chip

man i was pukin and going for a whole week every 10 - 20 mins it was really bad and you know after a short while all that was comming out was acid so i tried drinking a lot of water to keep the burning to a minimum but that just made things worse on the freaquency

[edit on 10/13/2007 by razor1000]

posted on Oct, 13 2007 @ 06:16 PM
link   
I don't eat jello ... the gelatin comes from boiling bones and skin. I do eat gelled things that are made with wheat gluten.

most sausages and some hot dogs casings are intestines ... that makes that classic 'snap' ... watching food network and how they bragged about it was horrible! I can tell you, a coney island hot dog is nothing special, since I was still a meat eater when I went to NYC. Hot dogs use a lot of organs and such ... some don't, usually the more expensive brands.

One thing I used to love as much as bacon was philly cheese steaks.

A lot of make up uses cow's blood for pigments, as well as other things like fats.

watch out for those olestra chips ... now that is something that can mess with our stomach! that and dieter's tea

I got food poisoning off some old taco bell. It wasn't fun. I don't get sick too often, and I don't want to
I am sure I would be ill if someone slipped me meat, since my body isn't used to processing it anymore.

most veggie burgers do suck. There is a veggie italian sausage that is pretty good and a veggie pizza burger and veggie philly cheesesteak burger that are pretty good. Most of the veggie meat are meant to be mixed in a dish, not served alone, but some do well. Most people who aren't veggies haven't tried enough, and usually pick the wrong things. veggie bacon is a no no, yuck!

there are some vegetables I could do without ... eggplant, a normal vegetarian fav has a horrible texture to me. okra is ick. I actually like crisp, fresh veggies. A veggie lovers pizza with jalepeno and pineapple is the bomb from pizza hut.

I don't mind seeing my own blood. I am usually in awe or shock of however I hurt myself.

It really isn't a big deal ... I just can't see myself eating it for a long time still. If I ever break, there goes my cholesterol ... I will eat about 20 lbs of bacon the first week, hit a few bbq joints, eat some hot wings extra crispy (though thinking about it grosses me out right now - nasty shiver down my spine) ... so it is probably best I don't go back
oh well

Thanks for being understanding, I appreciate it

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 01:12 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Love
Every city in every state has a great burger joint.

I live in Texas, but I was born in Los Angeles and went back many a time to see my dad (divorce). In and Out Burger is still the best I've ever had and I've lived in Texas a long time now. I only know In and Out from California, not sure if they're in other states as well.

Carl's Jr. makes a damn fine burger too.

Peace

I am a fellow Los Angelino. In-n-Out is a fine burger place and I could see why many people, including yourself, consider it their favorite. LA actually has several great burger places and chains, not just In-n-Out. My personal favorite is Carney's which makes the best chilli burgers. Fat Burger and Tommy's deserve honorable mentions.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 12:52 PM
link   
I agree that most meat-based dishes can be made with vegetable substitutes, and they taste just as good (if not better). My mom's started eating VERY little meat due to a cholesterol problem, and when I eat over there for dinner now there are a lot more vegetables than meat (if there's any meat at all). It doesn't bother me at all to not have meat. My boyfriend's another story - if I'm making an all-veggie dish, I'll tell him there's some kind of meat in it then "forget" to put it in. Like my vegetable stew that he LOVED, then went "...seriously?" when i told him it was meatless.

Anyway! I still love a good hamburger when the mood strikes! The best hamburger I've ever eaten came from the University of Oklahoma (went there for a year before transferring somewhere much cheaper). The student union there had a burger joint called Crossroads, and it was, for lack of a better word, perfect. You got a choice of cheeses, of a bunch of different veggies, and their legendary curly fries that were to die for. I plan on going back to OU at some point in the future (lots of friends still live in that area) to get a Crossroads burger.

posted on Oct, 14 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
reply to post by FreeThinkerIdealist

oh man dont even get me stated on the egg plant i have hated that thing since i was born, i just cant stand the way it feels in my mouth i feel like i'm eating brains eww

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
They may not be "The Best", but as Harold & Kumar know, sometimes only a sack of Whitey One-Bites will do.

posted on Oct, 15 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
anyone here try five guys i think they are ok but whats the deal with the mushrooms??

posted on Oct, 17 2007 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is a local thing, but anytime you're in the Milwaukee area, gotta try a Kopp's burger. Mmmmmmmm, haven't had one in ages.....pardon me while I wipe the drool from my chin....

posted on Oct, 24 2007 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I like Cheeburger Cheeburger the best. Wendy's is a far second. There aren't too many good burger joints around these days. Most are mediocre.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by Keruieh

i just went to this place called urban burger and they have a pretty good cheese burger there when i got it it was all juicy yum yum

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:39 AM
link   
The burger I ate Monday afternoon might very well have been one of the best I've ever had. 5 Napkin Burger at Nice Matin. 10 0z, aioli, grilled onions and I added bacon. this thing was oozing juice.

That and the burgers at Snug Harbor and Port 'o' Call. Of course the Snug/Port burgers are companion to Monsoons and Huma Humas and that might make them taste even better but they are still top notch.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Crakeur
That and the burgers at Snug Harbor and Port 'o' Call. Of course the Snug/Port burgers are companion to Monsoons and Huma Humas and that might make them taste even better but they are still top notch.

Are you talkin' New Orleans here?

My brother in law was raving about the Port o' Call and it's burgers, so we all went as a family and the burgers just didn't seem to live up to the billing. Now, the Monsoons on the other hand, those were good, and they really hit you late.
Watch out for those things people.

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
reply to post by Dr Love

Ayuh, N'Awlins. The burgers are stellar - that baked potato, the booze, the crowd. Yummy. You either had them on an off night or you didn't wait long enough and, therefore, didn't have at least one Monsoon before you sat down.

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 08:57 AM
link   
reply to post by Crakeur

Maybe you're right, we'll go again next time we're there.

You could hardly move in the freakin' place it was so packed. I had at least one Monsoon before I sat down. I thought it was a weak drink until about a half hour or so after my first, then I knew I was in trouble. I didn't want to pass out in the "fruity" part of town.

Peace

posted on Oct, 25 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
I'm actually in the planning stages of a weekend in NO for a trip to Port and to hear some music.

I'm doubting Domilicies is still open but that would be on the list for lunch if it was. Maybe Mother's on day day two.

Perhaps we can send niteboy out to ship us food and drinks and save us the trouble of that pesky 4 day hangover.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join