It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Our Drinkable Water Supply Is Vanishing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:06 AM
link   
We need the Sun, Water, Food and Oxygen to live, take away anyone of these things and we all die.

According to some scientist we will face a shortage of fresh water in as little as 50 years.

[the Rant begins]Our economy based society, our sensationalized news, our cell phones, our fast food, our power hungry government lust for unending war, our religions that believe we are in the end days so it doesn't matter if we destroy the Earth, because Jesus is going to make everything all better. We are blind to the Fact that one of the most important things like Water, a thing we take for granted, we turn on the faucet an waa laa fresh clean water. Will be in short supply before we know it. Does any one care? Does anyone know this is a possibility? Our capitalist/free market form of society is killing us, and the following might give us a good estimate when this time will come.[rant ends]

Thanks to global warming, pollution, population growth, and privatization, we are teetering on the edge of a global crisis.

Please don't Even argue with me about the whole Global Warming or is it climate change! The Earth is always under going climate change! It is clear the Earth Right now is warming up.

Demand for water is doubling every 20 years, outpacing population growth twice as fast. Currently 1.3 billion people don't have access to clean water and 2.5 billion lack proper sewage and sanitation. In less than 20 years, it is estimated that demand for fresh water will exceed the world's supply by over 50 percent.

In the wild, one day there is enough food for everyone, but with overpopulation the next day there isn't enough for anyone. I assume the same can be said for water, we will find out soon enough.

The Ogallala aquifer -- the largest in the North America and a major source for agriculture stretching from Texas to South Dakota -- is currently being pumped at a rate 14 times greater than it can be replenished, they wrote. And, across the country, "California's Department of Water Resources predicts that, by 2020, if more supplies are not found, the state will face a shortfall of fresh water nearly as great as the amount that all of its cities and towns together are consuming today," add Clarke and Barlow.

This Greedy world is going to kill us all, unless we change.

Link: Our Drinkable Water Supply Is Vanishing

AGGGGGGGG!

[edit on 12-10-2007 by LDragonFire]

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:24 AM
link   
You don't really believe that we have a shortage of water do you? It is water mis-management (intentionally or not) that is causing problems. People are trying to 'own' water.

In Australia, where there is a 'drought' it is ILLEGAL to have a rainwater tank. The people pay $1,000 and Cocoa Cola pays $24.00 for the same water which they turn into poison -- something is seriously wrong here. We are being conditioned to the idea that water is something that we have to PAY for.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I was just reading your other thread about possible natural disasters that could wreck horrible havoc on humanity. I'm guessing your glass is half empty.

This drinking water thing is pretty much the same as the global warming thing everything seems to be talking about nowadays. With global warming, it's 'Does it really exist?' 'Yes it does!' 'Aww, I dunno. It could be just natural cycles' 'Are you stupid. Have you looked at the statistics I just showed you?!' 'Well, you know what they say about statistics. 77% of them are made up . . .' 'Well, I can assure you-' 'MONEY!' 'Uhh, wha?-'.
They've got us doing this thing here in Australia where they will make it illegal to buy incandescent lightbulbs in 1 years time, or something. But isn't it funny how all those TV ads fail to mention the amount of mercury that those bulbs contain? Replacing one problem with another.
The mentality of Joe Citizen is that if he sorts his recyclables from his trash and gets rid of his incandescent lightbulbs then that's his part done. And what's more, the government here actually backs that assumption with numbers and stats.

If you've seen Monty Python and the Holy Grail then here's a good metaphor:

These issues are going to keep getting bigger and bigger, and we are just going to continually ignore them, until it is just too late.
And if that does actually happen, then good. Perhaps it will post-humorously teach this race a lesson.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
Warming global weather really means more water in the atmosphere. Rain events may be fewer but more rain per occurrence is possible. The real problem is overpopulation in areas that nature can not supply. Then mankind thinks technology will provide an answer and then more problems develop.

Perfect example is the American Southwest. Large cities in deserts. Big dams built to hold water on rivers from snow melt, not a problem so far. More people move in, water is still available. People try to raise grass in yards of homes. now a problem, they are trying to make a prairie out of a desert. Excess water is used for a dumba** reasons. Then several years of drought have set in and a water crisis is coming. People now realize they live in a desert. Laws set in place to try to correct water usage, but mom nature has final say. Las Vegas and Phoenix have a very interesting couple of years ahead of them.

From what I've seen in regards to glacier melt water and populated areas of Asia and Africa, I think the same situation can be stated.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:06 PM
link   

In the abundance of water, the fool is thirsty.

- Bob Marley

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:13 PM
link   
As the U.S. population increases (whether from increased births or immigration), most of our resources will be dwindling (not just water). People need to stop and think about this before they procreate. But then... the majority of the population doesn't really think at all. Maybe that's why the U.S. has the highest prison population in the world.

posted on Oct, 12 2007 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Maybe this old thread of mine's would be of interest to some regarding the topic of water shortages
Soon to be Worldwide Water Shortage??

new topics

top topics

join