It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

will the AI be free?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:10 PM
link   
i was just interested when humans will create an AI, do you think it will be free? do you think there will be a free robots? also is there gonna be a standardized AI or different for every robot?

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   
No, if you mean as you and I are free..someone will manufacture and own the technology...it wouldnt serve any purpose if it were leading an autonomous "life".

posted on Jan, 24 2004 @ 11:28 PM
link   
well that's too bad! cause they will be slaves! why to create an AI then? it won't be AI if you keep it limited, you can create a very clever programs instead with lots of algorithms

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Why would AI be free? Never in the human existance have we had slaves for free, or even advanced technology. If someone was out there making robots for nothing it would cost him tons, when he could be makin a profit. Also, in the olden days (even Romans) they would trade slaves for maybe money or something. AI would probably vary from company to company, and would probably be fairly similar to each other within the company - since they would be mass produced.

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 12:30 AM
link   
However, one must note that all slaves, everywhere in human history have led rebellions against their masters. We are ratehr machien dependent, as a people...so there is a great chance that an AI rebellion would cause millions of deaths.

DE

posted on Jan, 25 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   
"everywhere in human history have led rebellions against their masters"

not all of them, some of them got freed, but i think AI will defenatelly rebel

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 11:12 AM
link   
The thing is, what do you mean by 'AI'. AI, as I understand, is simply Arttificial Inteligence and can work when we want it to. As long as some bumbling ideot doesn't go along and try to give these machines emotion, we'll be fine. If the machines never develop emotion they would feel no need to rebel. As long as AI simply grows smarter, it will never rebel without emotion or provocation.

I guess there may be a point, though, where the AI gets so intelligent that it becomes self-aware. It is still a machine though - and as long as it is not programmed like the brain of a human, they should never have any emotional provokation to rebel.

posted on Jan, 26 2004 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by CyberGhost
i was just interested when humans will create an AI, do you think it will be free? do you think there will be a free robots? also is there gonna be a standardized AI or different for every robot?
I don't think that it will be free as long as the human element has access to the AI's power switch. It is probable that AI robots will be highly regulated by government legislation, on what type of knowledge can be programmed into them. Just imagine what an AI robot can accomplish if it had access to the internets information, and take into account the robots ability to access satellites around the world.

new topics

top topics

join