It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Dog - Gotta Question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   
My Dog.
He's as dumb as a blade of grass, but he's a darn good dog. I saved him from a local Animal Orphanage about 9 months ago, and he is firmly entrenched as a member of the lombozo family.

He's getting to be huge. He's already almost 70 pounds, and he's only 10 to 11 months old. He and my son formed a bond immediately, and it is so awesome to see. My son doesn't abuse him, no not at all, but he does lay on him, and roughhouse with him alot. Trust me, if my dog wanted to he could do some real damage - but he just sits there and takes it.
When I wrestle with my son, or do tickle monster with him, the dog looks at me, and paces nervously making sure I'm not hurting him. It's actually quite cool.

Anyway - the reason I posted this is I have a question. By the way, we think that he's a lab/boxer mix. I'm noticing that he's having some problems with his back hips. He can climb stairs just fine, and he runs around like a loon. He also does this jumping, galloping thing when he gets excited.
However when he's been laying down for awhile, he get's up funny. You can tell that his back hips are 'stiff' for lack of a better word. He's such a young dog. Hip displacia? Arthritis? When I touch his hips it doesn't seem to bother him in any way.
Any suggestions, or advice?

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
Honestly there buddy..I would take him to the vet to be sure...
A weight of 70 pounds I don't think is uncommon for a dog that is a lab/boxer mix,as both breeds can be quite heavy.His young age though worries me.Too young for arthritis and some dogs especially specific breeds can have hip problems right from the start.I suggest you get him checked out...perhaps this is something that can be fixed before it gets worse. Good luck to you my friend, there is no greater bond between a boy and his dog.Except maybe between a boy and his dad.
Hope "Yabastad" is feeling better soon.
AccessDenied

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I'm no vet, but I understand hip displaysia is quite common in labradors. He could also have a tumor or something that is pressing on him and making him uncomfortable.

He could have hurt himself, running or jumping as well. Was he neutered at a really young age? I had a cat that the shelter neutered at about 9 weeks. He broke his hip jumping down from somewhere and when I took him to the vet, they said that (in cats anyway) if an animal is neutered too young it can cause their bones to develop abnormally, something about the growth plates and soft bones, and they can be subject to fractures much more easily than an animal that was not neutered so early.

If he's part boxer, that's great for your son. Boxers are notoriously good with children. my dad's boxer tolerated my son chasing her around, poking her in the eye and putting his fingers in her ears with good grace when we visited, despite her not having been around little ones much previously.

Good luck to Yabaaastad. I hope it's something minor and benign.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 03:39 PM
link   
That is a common problem for labs, even young ones. The vet can tell you what the problem is for sure and prescribe something so he's not feeling discomfort. My dog is 13 now and is starting to get some arthritis so I give him glucosamine every day...but check with your vet before giving him anything to be on the safe side.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 04:26 PM
link   
Other than a visit to the vet, I have no advice to give.

I just want to see a picture of your cute pup, possibly with little lombozo rough-housing with him.

[edit on 10/10/2007 by anxietydisorder]

top topics

join