It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

good ole weapons

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 03:59 AM
link   
I once heard a legend of a spear called the dragon fly blade it was said to be sharp enough to pierce any armour and shatter any stone with the least bit a force. Its name came from the day it was forged, it was said that a dragon fly landed on the newly sharped blade as it lay on the table an cleanly cut into two.When the weapons of to day are compared to those since forgotten the modern weapons pale in comparsion

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:04 AM
link   
That's like me saying,

'Hercules was super-strong! Look how much we must've devolved.'

Legends and myths make for poor comparison-points.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:15 AM
link   
I always liked the boiling oil thing from the ramparts. Good scream effect.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:08 PM
link   
The sword does not exist, unless they somehow centrifuged the steel, or electrically aligned the atoms to be perfect, the steel can not do this. Wait a second... What year did adding carbon to iron come about? Early 20th century, late 19th? Something like that. So the sword you speak of must have been forged with iron. Iron is incapable of doing this, physical impossibility.

Originally posted by jpm1602
I always liked the boiling oil thing from the ramparts. Good scream effect.

Haha, off topic but ya, lets bring back cutting off convicted people arms/hands for stealing and dipping people into burning oil for corporal punishment. Then see crime rate fall to its LOWEST ever in a matter of weeks.

I liked that George Carlin said, cut off convicted killers heads off with guillotine and have their heads roll into 1 of many numbered holes, now let the mob bet on it with taxes, and BALANCE THE BUDGET.

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 11:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by 1337cshacker
The sword does not exist, unless they somehow centrifuged the steel, or electrically aligned the atoms to be perfect, the steel can not do this. Wait a second... What year did adding carbon to iron come about? Early 20th century, late 19th? Something like that. So the sword you speak of must have been forged with iron. Iron is incapable of doing this, physical

Steel has been around ever since a smith first hot hammered an iron blank into something, the iron will pick up carbon from the fire, and turn the iron into steel.
Steel has been around for millenia. in the 14 century the Japanese were making steels that werent duplicated till the 20th century.
That whole 19th centruy thing come from when bessemer developed his system for MASS production of steel.
There seems to be an almost universal myth of a blade that cleaves tgings cleanley in two. In the nordic myths it is a dwarf who forges a blade of extraordinary quality. The dwarf places the blade in a stream edge wise, and floats a tuft of lambs wool down the stream and it is split cleanly in two as it floats by.
In the japanese version replace the dwarf with a well know 14-15 century smith and the the lambs wool with maple leaf, and you have the same story.
There a two versions of the story of Richard the Lionheart meeting Salahuddin. In the european version, the two meet and as a show of their baldes quality Salahuddin cuts a silk pillow with his scimitar, Richard then has an anvil and iron bar brought in and cleaves the iron bar in two with his sword. In the arab version Richard cuts an iron bar on an anvil with his sword, an Salahuddin, tosses a silk scarf in the air and cleanly cuts it in two, while still falling to the ground.
In the movie,"The Last Samarai" there is the scene where tom cruise is ambushed by men working for the evil industrialist. This scene was based on a true story, where the group of samarai rebels were to meet with the emporers officials in Edo. As the Samarai were now forbidden from wearing sword in public they were forced to relequish there swords upon entering the capitol. An old friend of the leader of the group offered them the use of swords from his personal collection while they were in the city.One of theses swords was a 4 centruies old family heirloom, made by a legendary smith.
The samarai was ambushed while returning to his benefactors house, and was at a 5-3 disadvantage, when the combat was over all of the attackers were dead and both of the samarai's companions were severly injured, he fought off the attack mostly by himself. 3 of the enemies blades were cut clean through by the heirloom blade that only recieved minor nicks in the combat.

[edit on 8-10-2007 by punkinworks]

posted on Oct, 8 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
why not look around your house for improvised weapons

do you have any radial saw blades ?

www.rockler.com...

you can get these fairly cheap at yard sales / junk stores

now say you grabbed one of these
and throw it like a frisbee at someone's face
and even it that person gets their hands up to block it
you have another 2-3 to throw

you'd be surprised
what kind of good ole improvised weapons you can find around the house

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   
reply to post by CANADIAN-guerilla

Aside from a few scratches and bruises you'd give them, it wouldn't make a very effective weapon. I actively work with wood saw blades, they suck unless they're spinning at high-RPMs.

Also easy to dodge if you see it coming.

Shattered OUT...

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 11:38 PM
link   
if i can make a radial saw blade stick into a sheet of plywood
i think it would do more than " a few scratches and bruises "

it does matter which way you hold the blade prior to throwing

but the main point is to try to improvise weapons
from everyday household items

new topics

top topics

join