It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Who Made All of This?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:33 PM
link   
I often find myself pondering this at night. Who made life, the universe, and everything (quote the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)?

For example here are a few questions I have:

- Who decided that nothing would look black? Why doesn't nothing appear to us as white or green or purple? Why is it that when a space in the universe is completly devoid of anyting it is it black?

- Who decided that light would give us warmth? Why doens't darkness give us warmth? Why do we sleep when it is dark and are awake when it is light?

- Why is it that those certain elements you mix together make cement? Why is it that other things do not make cement. Who decided that when you mix together all the ingredients it becomes cement and not something else?

- Why is Hydrogen the lightest element?

- Why do we prefer to sleep on a soft pillow than maybe a hard rock. Who decided that we like a soft feeling more?

-***And the big one. Who decided that the universe would look the way it does?

So who decided all of this? Was it god? Or was it just a coincidence that eveything we know is as it is and not as something else? How did this all come to be?

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
This is my favourite subject and I have absolutely no answers. There is so much out there that can't be properly explained. Although the questions you ask have rather obvious answers.

I am tired at the moment and havent got the energy to answer them but i'm sure others will.. ie the light giving warmth and softness being preferred to hardness etc.

I hope this thread gets a good response

[edit on 6-10-2007 by fiftyfifty]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

Yea me too, so far im getting no responses!

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Based on MY religious beliefs, simply God. Its an easy answer to a complicated question, but I bet you were expecting that one to come up 100 times in the next 300 posts.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Good thread

This reminds me of sitting around a camp fire pondering life on a cold dark night,

I wish i had the answers but i guess I'm still trying to figure out life,

I really look forward to reading others thoughts on this,

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Shackleford
- Who decided that nothing would look black? Why doesn't nothing appear to us as white or green or purple?

Why is black nothing and how do you know that if all you could see was white then it would be something, when all black is nothing? Why is black nothing? or is it?

Why is it that when a space in the universe is completly devoid of anyting it is it black?

Either it isn't, or if it was something else then it would not be devoid of everything because it would not be devoid of colour, so it must be black. Unless it's white.

- Who decided that light would give us warmth?

It doesn't. At least not universally. I mean, it doesn't always.

Why doens't darkness give us warmth?

Doesn't give whom warmth? How do you know it doesn't? Is it ALWAYS cold?

Why do we sleep when it is dark and are awake when it is light?

Maybe you do, you assume the same for all? Again, it's not set in stone, you are under the illusion of societal conditioning.

- Why is it that those certain elements you mix together make cement? Why is it that other things do not make cement. Who decided that when you mix together all the ingredients it becomes cement and not something else?

Happenstance. If it made a banana, you would say, why does it make a banana and not something else. The combination of anything makes something, even if it's still the constituent raw materials. We just named it.

- Why is Hydrogen the lightest element?

Why not? Maybe it isn't. Something has to be.

- Why do we prefer to sleep on a soft pillow than maybe a hard rock. Who decided that we like a soft feeling more?

We did. One feels good, one feels bad. We like good. Don't we?

-***And the big one. Who decided that the universe would look the way it does?

So who decided all of this? Was it god? Or was it just a coincidence that eveything we know is as it is and not as something else? How did this all come to be?

errr, that would be me. Sorry for the screw ups, it's a work in progress. Bear with me, I'll get right on it.

[edit on 6/10/07 by Prote]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 03:59 PM
link   
There is nothing better than sitting outside on a cold clear night looking at the stars and wondering where it all came from. I guess the intrigue comes form the fact that although there is speculation and theories, nobody really knows.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 04:12 PM
link   
It can also get down to a lot of psychology as to why we like and don't like the way things are, and why we perceive things in certain ways. You can always rely on chemistry and physics to explain the way things are, like why does light make things bright, and dark conceals them, etc, but I am assuming that what you are trying to get other people's opinions to, is to who or what made these laws, or how they were created. From there, you have to believe in something big, and/or supernatural. Thats where religion comes in. As for me, I believe in Christ, and God, and that God made the universe, and the laws of physics and the math of the Universe, and the elements and all that neat-o stuff. But this isn't a religious forum, so I'm not here to try and convince anyone of anything, but thats just my beliefs. I believe we were created to make decisions based on what feels good, and what doesn't. But where does the original difference of "good" and "bad" come from, such as in the case of a soft or a hard pillow, I do now know. Human instinct that has been in us from the start maybe? Couldn't tell you. IMO, you have to believe in something Bigger than just a "random spawn" of humanity in order to have a "bases" of where it all comes from.

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:13 PM
link   
the answer to your questions is "42"

/obvious

i tend to think that everything is the way it is, because it is possible for it to be that way...
basically a longwinded way of answering the question "why" with "because".

but its a good questiong though

[edit on 6-10-2007 by TheRepublic]

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by For(Home)Country
Based on MY religious beliefs, simply God. Its an easy answer to a complicated question, but I bet you were expecting that one to come up 100 times in the next 300 posts.

yeah i was expecting that one to come up a lot! But i don't mind everyone should voice their opinion.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 11:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Prote

Prote, I love all your answers except the one about that we decided that we liked a soft pillow more than a hard rock. Who decided that humans would naturally prefer to sleep on something soft than hard?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

Who decided that humans would naturally prefer to sleep on something soft than hard?

Not Who but why?

That's what you are really asking, isn't it? for who? or whom? is the wrong question for the only answer is God within human comprehension and is unsatisfactory.

Our designers are not a "who" (singular) or a race (singular) so the real question is why were we designed to have a natural desire to lay upon soft rather than hard?

The answer is because WE are soft. Our bodies (the hardware) is soft, so the software favours the soft, not hard so as not to damage the hardware.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 02:22 PM
link   
If our hardware desires soft, then does our software desire... hard?
All joking aside.

Just stopping by to say that I appreciate all the answers given by prote. Bravo!

Nothing more to add except that nothing would have no color. To apply a color to no thing is to give it the attributes of thing; contradiction or not? But nothing is another topic unentirely.

[edit on 7-10-2007 by LastOutfiniteVoiceEternal]

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Why is it that the sun gives us the sensation of warmth and not cold?

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:16 PM
link   
Now this is my kind of thread, no politics, no war, just questions and absolutely no answers.

I believe that it's for the best that we don't know why, things are like this simply because they are, be it a God, chemical processes, computer simulation. It doesn't matter, its what you believes important.

Because with these kinds of questions, no-one is right or wrong.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 04:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
Now this is my kind of thread, no politics, no war, just questions and absolutely no answers.

I know don't you love it! haha

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Prote

Why do we sleep when it is dark and are awake when it is light?

Maybe you do, you assume the same for all? Again, it's not set in stone, you are under the illusion of societal conditioning.

Well, actually, the fact that our bodies produce melatonin at night, which makes us tired, is probably why we sleep at night. So, therefor, our societies are generally structured around that model. So, it is kinda natural to sleep at night. Why was it made that way? Who knows.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 05:59 PM
link   
You know as stupid as it seems we could be nothing more than a little world in somebody's match box. Nothing different than us putting a few fish in a fish tank and leaving them to it. We could simply be pets.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
The only answer that can be given to questions like this is "we don't know".

Why are there extraneous elementary particles that appear to do nothing, and only can be observed for tiny fractions of a second in particle collisions?

Why do we only observe three (or four) dimensions when there are at least six more that make up our universe [According to M theory]?

Perhaps most daunting, why are we here? The probability of intelligent carbon-based life developing is dismally small. There are numerous explanations for this, including supernatural ones, none of which have been verified.

posted on Oct, 7 2007 @ 09:08 PM
link   

I often find myself pondering this at night. Who made life, the universe, and everything (quote the Hitch Hikers Guide to the Galaxy)?

Unfortunately, it seems you have fallen into the deadly trap of "having some spare time", which appears to have generated a condition known as "thinking".

On a serious note.
Because you think along these lines and "often", large amounts on information will flow your way, most of it false.
In time, I feel you will become "addicted" to seeking information and as a result, will eventually find all the answers you seek in life.
And remember, spare time is good for you!

top topics

<<   2 >>

join