It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

5 Questions to STIMULATE You. -- Just for Fun --

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:11 AM
link   
Hey guys,

It's late and I'm incredibly tired, so.....naturally I decided to start a new thread hahaha.

I figured I'd pose a few questions here to stimulate an interesting and informative thread.

Perhaps you will enjoy this thread; perhaps not. Either way, I hope for the best.

5. If the universe is constantly expanding, what occupies the space it hasn't reached yet?

4. Why does it seem that most people of religious faith are so adamantly against having faith in anything else they can't see, taste, touch or smell? Wouldn't it make sense for them to be the most willing to accept the mysterious?

3. Why are humans considered by some to be the pinnacle of evolution when 90% of the planet's other species are so far superior to us in everything but ruthlessness?

2. If there were no humans, what purpose would god serve?

1. If you could travel back in time and change just one thing, what would it be?

Jasn

P.S. Prepare for the future, start buying Silver Eagles.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   
5. Vacuum and dark matter?

4. Seems so, but all things considered, I'm glad that don't believe in the paranormal, that would just make the subject even MORE scorned.

3. Tool use..... mainly tool use. lol

2. That kind of goes back to the whole "Tree falls in the woods" question. If there were no Humans, "would" there be a God??

1. I would go back and get my fiancee' to the hospital earlier as they may have been able to save her life.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:18 AM
link   
5. If the universe is constantly expanding, what occupies the space it hasn't reached yet?

Null pointers.

4. Why does it seem that most people of religious faith are so adamantly against having faith in anything else they can't see, taste, touch or smell? Wouldn't it make sense for them to be the most willing to accept the mysterious?

Actually the Religious folk I know seem to be suckers for everything mystical. A big ball of every loopy idea that comes along.

3. Why are humans considered by some to be the pinnacle of evolution when 90% of the planet's other species are so far superior to us in everything but ruthlessness?

Cos we are Humans. I'm sure crocodiles think that they are pretty cool too.

I'm sure he'd find something else to entertain himself with.
Making suns go Super Nova is probably alot more fun that watching our little lives.

1. If you could travel back in time and change just one thing, what would it be?
Let the English win the American Revolution. Just to see if things would turn out better.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by SimiusDei
Hey guys,

It's late and I'm incredibly tired, so.....naturally I decided to start a new thread hahaha.

I figured I'd pose a few questions here to stimulate an interesting and informative thread.

Perhaps you will enjoy this thread; perhaps not. Either way, I hope for the best.

Jasn

P.S. Prepare for the future, start buying Silver Eagles.

Silver eagles spend about as well as they fly in a quarantine...

1. The future.
2. None, since "purpose" is of anthropogenic origin.
3. Because "some" are humans. Would not a prideful lion consider itself the pinnacle of evolution?
4. Western religions are many things and "willing to accept the mysterious" is not one of them.
5. Other universes. Posit infinite largeness and smallness. Other universes may lie within yourself.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:48 AM
link   
The answer to all of these are...irrelevent as we live in a "Matrix" style program and when the greater mass of people become aware of this the program terminates.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by mazzroth
The answer to all of these are...irrelevent as we live in a "Matrix" style program and when the greater mass of people become aware of this the program terminates.

Then I'll add a sixth question. What is outside of the Matrix?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:53 AM
link   
haha pretty funny stuff thusfar.

And by the way, silver is doing nothing BUT going up lately. Could easily double or even triple in the next year. At between 12 and 13 bucks an ounce, you could actually do fairly well with little money.

By the way, if you are spending them at the dollar face, send a few dozen my way hahaha.

Jasn

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Zenagain

Yakamet the Yeti. That joker controls everything. (

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:14 AM
link   

1. Nothing. Just in case.

2. God would not exist as a concept if there were no humans, or animals with a brain as 'evolved' as ours; enough to ask questions about their own existence and have a complex enough semiotic structure with which to compose those questions, as is evident from the wealth of all living things on Earth (bar us) that do not have any 'God' concept at all (that we know of).

3. Well, superior in evolutionary terms is a difficult concept to outline. Evolution is really about adaptability through the natural selection of living things by the genes that can aid their own (the genes) preservation. As for the opening part of your question, it is only some humans that consider humans to be superior, and that's probably down to a combination of arrogance, lack of scientific education and religious faith.

4. I don't think there's a lot of compelling evidence to suggest that people with religious faith are less willing to accept the 'mysterious' ( I presume you mean other supernatural claims such as spiritualism). Indeed the Spiritualist church operates on that fundamental belief.

5. There's lots of theoretical models in physics and cosmology that suggest multiverses, extra dimensions (of a mathmatical-physical kind, not spiritual) and the like. It's best to read some Stephen Hawking material, or similar, to get a broader idea.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Skunky]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 03:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Skunky

Wow! Very well said and nice answers.

I have often wondered if certain animals species have something similar to our "religious" beliefs. I feel this is a great possibility, especially amongst some of the more 'socialized" animals such as bees and ants. Bees and ants especially seem to exhibit the same kind of structural mentality that tends to radiate from the religious human types.

I wasn't really meaning "spirtuality". I was thinking more along the lines of aliens, bigfoot and such.

I find it especially fascinating when theists find the concept of ghosts to be absurd. In my personal opinion, ghosts JUSTIFY their beliefs more than just about anything else.

Thanks for the great reply. Keep 'em coming.

Jasn

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 05:21 AM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

It's actually a great post - I think about some of these questions a lot - especially those to do with humankind's supposed superiority over all living things. That's often stated by religious thinkers as being our reason for existence - we are the only living thing spiritually close to the Creator. Out of all living things we know of on Earth? Not to mention the unkown universe? I don't think that's a reasonable viewpoint.

As for Bigfoot etc. I would agree that it's odd that people will invest faith in a supreme universal creator and yet discredit suggestions of mysterious occurrences that beg further investigation. What's nice about the scientific approach is that there is no reason to fully credit or discredit these mysteries until there is workable evidence to support any hypothesis or theory. Religion works by the perceived virtue of blind-faith - belief without proof; directly at odds with the methods we use to investigate and learn more about our environment and the universe in which we exist. These methods have given us help with medicine, communication, travel, ecology, environmental issues, social and psychological issues etc. The list goes on. Many people who are happy to dismiss scientific enquiry and the rigorous approach to evidence based objective learning it demands are living by it's direct benefits every day.

cheers

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Skunky]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:01 AM
link   
As for Human superiority, I think we are possibly the only animal that knows what it is.

I don't think a dog knows that it is a dog.
It doesn't think about dog-kind, or where dogs fit into the universe.
It just is.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Great thread.

5. This is a question that I ask myself all the time and is one I'll never find the answer too. Which is why I love it, it's the question that shows how small we are, that there is something were probably never going to know.

4. At least they have faith. Sure, some people let it cloud their perceptions of other views or faiths, but it's what they believe and we need to respect that.

I'm an atheist and my only faith is in technology. Technology is what we should be worshiping, for it will be the only thing that can save us if everything goes all 'bottoms up' as it were.

We should be using new and exciting technology to first fix, then preserve this wonderful planet because in the scheme of things, everything else is irrelevant. War, race, religion all have no place if the poles melt and were all under 20 feet of water.

3. Nothing else is superior to us. Can anything else on this planet build a car? Fly a plane? Get to the Moon? No. We are superior, maybe not evolution wise, but we don't need to be. If there's a problem, we solve it. Not always in the best way, but at least we get it done.

Very good point on the ruthlessness though, some humans are sick, twisted and evil, but you have to remember, were not all that bad.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   

Nothing, that's why the universe is expanding into it, and it is not part of the universe

Religious people are not adamant against belief in aliens, ghost or other spiritual matters, they just define those encounters differently based on there religious perspective.

Well we have intelligence to, as far as ruthlessness their are many species that are far worse. We are just smart enough to make it part of society and institutionalize it so we can ignore it.

Hence why he created man with free will.

Posting this reply
Just kidding nice questions.

[edit on 5-10-2007 by Redge777]

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by Anubis Kanubis
3. Because "some" are humans. Would not a prideful lion consider itself the pinnacle of evolution?

Are you thinking of the analogy of leaders of society being the lions, in your answer? Or did I not get it.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:19 AM
link   

reply to post by Skunky

I find it especially fascinating when theists find the concept of ghosts to be absurd. In my personal opinion, ghosts JUSTIFY their beliefs more than just about anything else.

I can't speak for anyone else, but the Holy 'Ghost', or Holy Spirit is part of the trinity. I think most Christians think of other non Holy Ghost, or spirit encounters as from the other side, not that they deny they exist or happen. But this is just my view on it.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:47 AM
link   
I'm an atheist and my only faith is in technology. Technology is what we should be worshiping, for it will be the only thing that can save us if everything goes all 'bottoms up' as it were.

We should be using new and exciting technology to first fix, then preserve this wonderful planet because in the scheme of things, everything else is irrelevant. War, race, religion all have no place if the poles melt and were all under 20 feet of water.

quick question but isnt there an argument that suggest that "technology" is one of the reasons that the poles are melting? this world is wonderful and im sure it was doing just fine before we came along......just what do you mean by technology will save us? i think you will find its the other way round for it is technology that has made us into a race that has forgot our roots and taken this planet for granted!!!

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 08:48 AM
link   
sorry i dont know how to quote someone elses words!!! can someone please enlighten me as to how we do this?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by The-Brown-One

In the top right of the post you want to quote is the ''quote'' button, hit and your game.

Anyway, to technology. Yes, it's to blame for how we've made the planet, but it's also the answer.

My perfect world would be on where technology and nature can co-exist and hopefully well see that soon.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:54 AM
link   

It's not moving into anything because there's no "there", there. The idea of the universe expanding is a conceptual model to explain astronomical observations, but it's not analogous to the way a balloon might blow up in an empty box.

I've read this question three times and don't understand it. Sorry.

Who says we're the pinnacle of evolution? Evolution doesn't even have a pinnacle. It's just a series of species competing for resources over billions of years.

If you mean the traditional theistic God of the mideast religions, than God is perfectly content being God apart from his creation of humans.

The Cubbies '03 season. I was hoping that a Cubs/Red Sox World Series could happen this year, but the Cubs are already down two games to the Dbacks.

[edit on 10/5/2007 by Toromos]

top topics

<<   2 >>

join