It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gold rings create first true invisibility cloak

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:13 PM
link   

Gold rings create first true invisibility cloak

technology.newscientist.com

The new cloak, which is just 10 micrometres in diameter, guides rays of light around an object inside and releases them on the other side. The light waves appear to have moved in a straight line, so the cloak – and any object inside –appear invisible.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:14 PM
link   

So far it can only be done on a very small scale, and is not very likely to be developed for three dimensional applications. But it's always a possibility. For now the technology will likely be used in computer chip components.

technology.newscientist.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: spelling

[edit on 10/3/07 by AcesInTheHole]

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:17 PM
link   
Awesome find! Wow that was pretty fast. Last I read-up on this technology, which was about two years back they said they were at least 5-10 years away from visible light spectrum cloaking.

I wonder what the military has now

Predator suits..

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:21 PM
link   
Wow that's awesome

Great find...Thanks for posting that.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:26 PM
link   
reply to post by pstiffy

Thanks.

At least now we know that visible spectrum cloaking, while not probable, is possible.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:12 AM
link   
Here's a site that describes some visual spectrum cloaking experiments that took place at Purdue University...

www.scienceblog.com...

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:26 AM
link   
Thanks for a very interesting post and for teaching me a little something different today. You always bring good info and view-points.

Interesting idea, pictures, explanation...this is why I started coming to ATS. Reptilians, not so much!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:37 AM
link   
Good find.

But if that report is correct, it can only bend one spectrum of light, not all of them. I'd imagine it's going to take a long time for true invisibility.

Nevertheless, this is a great step forward for us and I hope that this can be put to uses other than killing people.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zanzibar
But if that report is correct, it can only bend one spectrum of light, not all of them. I'd imagine it's going to take a long time for true invisibility.

Yes thats the Purdue experiment, the original article deals with the entire visual spectrum, but only in a 2 dimensional environment so far. It has not been proven to work on a large, 3 dimensional scale yet, but hey you never know where the technology could go.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:09 PM
link   
This is old news. Obviously, J.R.R. Tolkien knew decades ago that a gold ring can be used to provide invisiblity

....seriously though, it seems as though scientific progress is continually breaking down the barriers of what people deem is possible. These are exciting times we are living in!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 12:49 PM
link   
I thought British scientists did something like th
is last year with copper rings? I will search for that thread later and see how it re
lates. Works the same as far as I remember.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by DYepes

Yeah, it was a US-British team. But they were cloaking the microwave spectrum, so this is an advancement. That was the article I was referring to earlier.

Experts test cloaking technology

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:20 PM
link   
video.google.com...

video.google.com...

this links a video called, invisible coat. THere are more than this. ITs way cool and sure to be hot on the market by peeping tom, thieves and rogues in video games that are popular today.

[edit on 4-10-2007 by mastermind77]

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by mastermind77

Thanks for the input.

These videos have been around for awhile, I'm sure many are familiar with them. This technology involves projectors and such, not true cloaking. This is acheived through complicated means, and still doesn't full hide everything. But imagine where that technology is now! It could hold big things for the future.

More explained here...
www.star.t.u-tokyo.ac.jp...

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 12:57 AM
link   
If the British project could be applied to a full size person, would it not then, theoretically, be able to deflect the Rays from a Directed energy Weapon?

Does this gold one have that ability?

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 04:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by DYepes
If the British project could be applied to a full size person, would it not then, theoretically, be able to deflect the Rays from a Directed energy Weapon?

Does this gold one have that ability?

You know, those are good questions. I think the British project shows far more promise in at least deflecting those sort of weapons. Seems reasonable.

This gold cloak doesn't seem like the likely candidate because right now it's only working in 2D. Mainly because it's very difficult if not impossible to "direct" the flow of light in 3D with current technology...

Three-dimensional invisibility cloaks would have to control light waves both magnetically and electronically to steer them around the hidden object. But two-dimensional surface plasmons are easier to direct, explains Pendry. "You can operate on either the electric or magnetic channel alone," he says.

However...

Smolyaninov's cloak is unlikely to be developed into a version that works in three dimensions. But Leonhardt says it could be useful in the near future. "It could be used on computer chips," he says. "You could use surface plasmons to communicate between different areas of a microchip."

Pendry agrees, saying they might replace fibre optics as a way to carry signals: "Light on a chip might seem more prosaic than an invisibility cloak, but in the end it might be more practically important."

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 10:39 AM
link   
""All truth, in the long run, is only common sense clarified.""

top topics

join