It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Vetoes Child Health Insurance Plan

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Bush Vetoes Child Health Insurance Plan

www.msnbc.msn.com

President Bush, in a confrontation with Congress, on Wednesday vetoed a bipartisan bill that would have dramatically expanded children's health insurance.

It was only the fourth veto of Bush's presidency, and one that some Republicans feared could carry steep risks for their party in next year's elections. The Senate approved the bill with enough votes to override the veto, but the margin in the House fell short of the required number.

The White House sought as little attention as possible, with the president wielding his veto behind closed doors without any fanfare or news coverage.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.npr.org
www.cnn.com

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:35 AM
link   
What a terrible shame.
Billions of dollars can be spent on killing people in other countries, and yet a child in America can't get access to proper health care.

The President should hang his head in shame over this veto.

“One of the things the president can do is say, ‘I'm not going to sign a bill that comes to me with extraneous spending. I'm not going to sign a bill that has policies in it that should not be a part of the United States policy.”

Dana Perino, White House spokeswoman

I guess the health of children is an extraneous expense...

www.msnbc.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 04:03 PM
link   
The President was right to VETO this bill,

Hopefully congress will rewrite this deal get rid of the pork and get back to the spirit of the S-CHIP program.

The bill congress sent to the White House was a step towards socialized medicine.

There is nothing wrong with helping the needy and unfortunate.

This bill want to increase those covered, even those whose families can afford health care.

The increased cost of the bill was to be raised from a $0.61 a pack tax increase on cigarettes.

I think that congress has already taxed smokers enough already

Heck there's a congressman now who wants to start a SURTAX on the US citizens to pay for the war on terror.

Not to mention a draft proposal from another congressman to institute a carbon tax which would further burden the citizens.

Why not just take your whole paycheck and feed you school cafeteria food.

Enough with taxes.

I 'm still waiting for the midnight pay raise deal congress likes to pull this time of year before sneaking out of town.

Bush explains health-care veto during visit here

President Bush speaking Wednesday to about 400 people in West Hempfield Township justified his veto of a proposed expansion of a children's health care program by saying government shouldn't be competing with private insurance.

The program — called the State Children's Health Insurance Program — provides health care insurance to about 7 million children, but Congress recently passed legislation to expand it to enroll another 4 million.

Congress needs to fund the current program as is and stop playing the raise taxes game.

You want to see social medicine in action, just watch San Francisco, they just implemented their program and it will be interesting to see how their plan fares in the future.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 06:01 PM
link   
In what other country is a 25 year old considered a "child".

That is one of the reasons for the veto!

This was just a prelude to Nationalized Health Care. Start by making 25 year olds children, and work your way up!

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 09:03 AM
link   
Bush did the right thing by vetoing this bill, for reasons already listed. Of course, the Democratic Congress will now label him as cruel and uncompassionate - it's an old song and dance.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 10:10 PM
link   
If it is taken out of the cigarette tax...I would be perfectly content with it since I don't smoke. Then again....people shouldn't be relying on other people to pay for their brats.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This article really ticked me off. I was home sick on the day that Bush had a press conference about this bill. It was held before Congress voted on the bill and he was very angry. He had seen the bill and told Congress in a VERY stern and definite tone that if they didn't take the pork out of that bill, he was going to veto it and a lot of children will miss out on this health care bill.

After he gives this stern comment and talks about how great this child health care bill could be he opened up the floor for questions from the press. Not one single press agent asked a question about this bill. Not a one!!

You know why? They didn't care! They wanted to be able to put their own spin on it and make Bush look like the bad guy when it was Congress dragging it down the whole time.

top topics

join