It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police identify man who died while in custody [after Taser]

page: 1

join
share:
apc

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   

Police identify man who died while in custody [after Taser]

www.kansascity.com

Police gave this account: Officers responded to reports of a man taking off his clothes and smoking drugs. They found White and ordered him to comply with their instructions.

Instead, White fled into a wooded area. Police attempted to subdue him, but he broke away from them and attempted to flee again. While officers struggled with White, a Taser stun gun was used on him.

None of the officers were injured in the incident.
(visit the link for the full news article)

apc

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 10:17 PM
link   
There's not a whole lot I can say. Another death resulting from unnecessary use of a taser. It doesn't surprise me one bit the incident is with KCK cops. I know them well. When KCMO starts killing people just because they ran, I think we're going to have a real problem in this city.

www.kansascity.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 11:25 PM
link   
I still think that ordinary civilians should be allowed to carry and use tazers, stun guns and stun batons.
Even given the above story, stun weapons still cause less fatalities than guns and knives.

Okay, that being said,
this is a sad story, well...sort of.
What "drugs" was the guy smoking?
Because if it was crack or meth, than it's very likely that he had a cardiac event that could quite possibly have been accelerated by the use of the tazer.
But, I'm not a doctor so I can't say for sure.

apc

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 07:51 AM
link   
On the TV news it was reported as crack.

Civilians can carry tasers depending on the state's laws. We don't have access to quite the level of technology police have access to, but for 500 bucks you can still get one that shoots electrode darts.

Thing is if people were to start defending themselves with Tasers, they would get shot with real bullets. Gotta love the hypocrisy.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 09:50 PM
link   
Hmmm...good point.
Ah, to long for the old days when you could walk around with a sword and whatnot.
*sigh* yeah, good times...good times.

Well, the dude was smoking crack, he's lucky that alone didn't kill him.
I guess that, coupled with the physical trauma of getting shocked caused a cardiac episode (that sounds like a lame tv show) and that's probably what did him in.
The article paints a picture of the guy being a menace and out of control.
So, instead of the cops using a gun or a baton on the guy, they shocked him.
It sort of makes sense, but you know that the extreme liberals are going to cry "foul" on this one.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

apc

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 10:12 PM
link   
Yup almost every death is caused by heart failure usually presented by either preexisting condition or drugs and set off by the taser.

Since the police are not about to look for bracelets or interview the suspects prior to shocking them, a good way to avoid killing people unnecessarily is for police to only use tasers in situations where they would be otherwise justified in using bullets.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   
I'm anti Tazer and Stun Gun. Cops have gotten a little too used to not scuffing up their shoes and are doing shoddy police work nowadays because of it. Jeeze arrest the guy, their called handcuffs...hello. they work, humans have been using them for about 1000 years now with great sucess and probably less deaths involved. Seriously guys. we pay you cops hazard pay to occasionally get a boo boo or a scrape apprehending the suspect.

Tazers are not non lethal. THey are less lethal than a bullet in a vulnerable part of the body but thats it. something like 500 poeple died last year alone from police tazers. wonder what the statistic is for people getting shot to death by the cops using a firearm.

Also there is a reason that amnesty international and other watch groups have continually classified tazers and stun guns under pain compliance and torture not policing tool. They have a reason I'm sure, and it's not to affect Tazer Intl. stock prices.

Police abuse tazers and stun guns period. too quick to use them and they apparently get a kick out of torturing people with them too. Sad. Fact is if you pull a handgun on somebody you are probably going to be less likely to actually use it and kill the person. therfore you would have to act in a more proffessional manner and actually address the situation without resorting to pumping 750,000 volts through a persons heart. Cardiac arrest they say he had. well duuuuuuuhhhhhh no (solid excrement) what do you think happens when you pump 750,000 volts through another device (human heart) that opperates on a small electric charge.

ANd don't give me any of the doctors said their safe BS either, cause those doctors are paid off. ask any real doctor who isn't getting paid to say that and they'll say heck no pumping any amount of electricity through the human body in high voltages is safe. In fact it was the argument used against tesla the inventor of AC current by thomas edison. Ever seen interviews with the guys that own and operate those tazer companies. they look like real douche bags. comming across all smug, bragging because they create tools that are more often than not used to torture. sick jerks.

Now wheres that Thor's Shield tech at. Like to se the look on the cops face when he shoots me with a tazer gun for jaywalking and nothing happens.

apc

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
Do you have a legitimate source for that 500 number?

Legitimate as in something other than prisonplanet, alternet, etc?

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 07:55 PM
link   
this link says 70 deaths this year and 10 in aug alone. its cbs.
www.cbsnews.com...

apc

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
It's 2004, but thanks. I can definitely use that to aide in my efforts to get local police departments to reevaluate their taser policy.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:15 PM
link   
i guess i am one of those far libs cause i don't think it is justified cause he was smoking crack, or cause he ran...

the smoking crack didn't make him die. nor did the running.
apparently it was the taser...another one down.

i don't get the feelings like just cause a person broke 'the law' that the punishment handed down by the cops makes it any more just.

apc

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Radical liberals kill people just as easily as radical conservatives. I don't think it has anything to do with left vs. right. It's just plain wrong.

posted on Oct, 4 2007 @ 08:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by apc
It's 2004, but thanks. I can definitely use that to aide in my efforts to get local police departments to reevaluate their taser policy.

sorry i must have misread. dam# crack heads always makeing it harder for the rest of us. oh well one less drug addict to feed the cia drug cartel..

new topics

top topics

join