It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The English language is too modern for true Biblical meanings.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
My theory is that the English language messes up what the Bible is trying to say for example the book of Revelations in Italian for example is called
Apocalisse which does not mean doom and gloom but a Revelation.
The English culture gave it that meaning as it's not what it should be.

The king James bible is more accurate because it uses old English and modern English has lost some of it's meanings of words.

So people go beyond this anyway because they go back to original translations and to me the English Language does not justify the true meanings hence why maybe people complain about contradictions in the English speaking part of the world. Do other nations complain as much or are they happy with how things sound?
=====================================================
Apocalypse

This article is about the religious meaning. For more uses of the word apocalypse, see Apocalypse (disambiguation). Apocalypse (Greek: Ἀποκάλυψις -translit. APOKALYPSIS, literally: the lifting of the veil), is a term applied to the disclosure to certain privileged persons of something hidden from the mass of humankind. The Greek root corresponds in the Septuagint to the Hebrew galah (גלה), to reveal. The last book of the New Testament bears in Greek the title Αποκαλυψις Ιωαννου, and is frequently referred to as the Apocalypse of John, but in the English Bible it appears as the Revelation of St John the Divine, or the Book of Revelation. Earlier among the hellenistic Jews, the term was used of a number of writings which depicted in a prophetic and parabolic way, the end or future state of the world (e.g. Apocalypse of Baruch), the whole class is now commonly known as 'Apocalyptic literature'. However, the Apocalypse technically refers to the unveiling of God, in his guise as the Messiah, and not to all of the destruction of the world which will accompany God's Revelation of Himself to Humankind.

www.babylon.com...

See more at Wikipedia.org...

[edit on 30-9-2007 by The time lord]

---------------------------------
Added 'ex' tags and a link

Please read Posting work written by others

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 30-9-2007 by The time lord]

[edit on 30/9/07 by masqua]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   
The problem is not only obsolete words and meanings changed through the natural evolution of language but also excessive verbosity:

• There are 8,674 Hebrew words in the OT and 5,624 Greek words in the NT, according the counts found in Strong's Concordance.
  • There are 13,018 unique words used in the original King James version.
  • The Bible In Basic English, printed in 1965 by Cambridge Press in England, uses a total of 1,000 unique words in translating both the Old and New Testaments.

Here is a page titled Obsolete Words in the KJV by Robert A. Joyner.

Einstein said: 'When the solution is simple, God is answering.'

And yes, 'apocalypse' means 'unveiling.'

'Eschatology'
is the word which applies to the study of 'the end of the world.'

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:07 AM
link   
The bible and its meanings are obsolete TO US OVERALL, we have grown above the use of fairy tales to explain the truths that should be natural to us, we have grown from 2000 years ago let us evolve our minds as well and move on to the next stage of religion which has been changed through out the ages to suite to that time frame and the needs of the people!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
reply to post by Kolosowski

seconded. though there are a few good things in the bible, we don't really need it to tell us those things. we develop those ideas independent of the religion.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:16 AM
link   
It is not simply the language issues that make the translations questionable. It is the political motives behind those translations that make it questionable. Unless you are reading the original, how can you truely believe that you know what the true meaning of the book is? I guess you have to have faith....

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by Karlhungis
It is not simply the language issues that make the translations questionable. It is the political motives behind those translations that make it questionable. Unless you are reading the original, how can you truely believe that you know what the true meaning of the book is? I guess you have to have faith....

I agree totally with this, but even the original we might not be able to get the true meaning out of it, and honestly i think the only original writers would have the original meanings and maybe the people of THOSE days did but as we evolved so did our versions of the stories and i wouldn't be surprised if the church or other powerful organizations used and edited them for propaganda.. honestly would u be surprised!

Kolosowski

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:20 PM
link   
50 translations
www.biblegateway.com...

Hebrew-English
www.mechon-mamre.org...

The Catholic Vulgate in Latin
www.sacred-texts.com...

4th century and earlier Latin
www.vetuslatina.org...

Original Orthodox Greek
www.ccel.org...

I say If you really want to learn a book from a foreign time/place take three translations and read them side by side. Aside from The Bible, I have used this technique to come to an understanding with the Tao Te Ching, Koran, I Ching, and Bhagavad Gita; as well as a few other lesser known texts.

Personally, when I really want to dig into something bible... I go hebrew-english, alongside KJV, alongside the Vulgate. Sometimes phonetical greek helps....

Somebody, from way back when, was trying to pass a very important message to you... do not let your ignorance of their language prevent you from listening.

Sri Oracle

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 09:50 AM
link   
The bible is written in semetic languages,which is different in structure from the latin type of languages(german,english,spanish,greek),and some words or phrases/sentences in the semetic language have no words for it in latin languages. So when translating you may ruin the meaning,the mood,and many other means of communication through the reading.

posted on Oct, 5 2007 @ 11:02 AM
link   
yes, there are words & meaning that are some "six-degrees-of-seperation"
drom the archaic meanings....

but this example is but one of many that is not lost in meaning...

the context is concerning the (near) future 'End-Times',
and is describing the 'Whore'=Mystery Babylon, who is destroyed by the very inhabitants of 'babylon' and the other 7 nations that make up the anti-christ kingdom;

Revelation 18: 11-13 (in KJV)

And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyne wood, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

And cinnamon, and colours, and ointments, and frankinsence, and wine, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.

looking closer at the very last paragraph, we could say in modern terms;
spices+perfumes+food staples+food protein+Automobiles...Slaves+souls
~~~~~~~but how can there be 'Slaves' in this modern era?~~~~~~~
along with 'souls of men' that are publicly traded, as these verses tell us
will be the accepted condition of the world at the time of the 2nd coming?

too many inconsistancies,
in this modern era Slavery is outlawed worldwide,
so either the definition of 'slave' and 'souls' has changed
~or ~
as is commonly theorized the modern EU, the Vatican, or even the USA
being the final embodiment of 'Babylon'>Whore>atop the anti-christ kingdom
is a completely erroneous speculation or else we are nowhere near the 2nd coming.

Quandry,? or let's hear someones' rationalization

posted on Oct, 6 2007 @ 05:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by St Udio
yes, there are words & meaning that are some "six-degrees-of-seperation"
drom the archaic meanings....

but this example is but one of many that is not lost in meaning...

the context is concerning the (near) future 'End-Times',
and is describing the 'Whore'=Mystery Babylon, who is destroyed by the very inhabitants of 'babylon' and the other 7 nations that make up the anti-christ kingdom;

Revelation 18: 11-13 (in KJV)

And the merchants of the earth will weep and mourn over her; for no man buyeth their merchandise any more:

The merchandise of gold, and silver, and precious stones, and of pearls, and purple, and silk, and scarlet, and all thyne wood, and all manner vessels of most precious wood, and of brass, and iron, and marble,

And cinnamon, and colours, and ointments, and frankinsence, and wine, and fine flour, and wheat, and beasts, and sheep, and horses, and chariots, and slaves, and souls of men.

looking closer at the very last paragraph, we could say in modern terms;
spices+perfumes+food staples+food protein+Automobiles...Slaves+souls
~~~~~~~but how can there be 'Slaves' in this modern era?~~~~~~~
along with 'souls of men' that are publicly traded, as these verses tell us
will be the accepted condition of the world at the time of the 2nd coming?

too many inconsistancies,
in this modern era Slavery is outlawed worldwide,
so either the definition of 'slave' and 'souls' has changed
~or ~
as is commonly theorized the modern EU, the Vatican, or even the USA
being the final embodiment of 'Babylon'>Whore>atop the anti-christ kingdom
is a completely erroneous speculation or else we are nowhere near the 2nd coming.

Quandry,? or let's hear someones' rationalization

It's a good point but in a way there is illegal immigrants in the UK who work as slaves even if the term is not used. Children are used as slaves in India and there is the sex trade too.

We are slaves to some point to the system of world governments, we have to work to pay the energy of our homes and food, but I bet if the free energy issue is true discovered by Telsa we are being slaves to paying for something that should be free. The last days will reach a point where these things will come about and if Revelations is right then the world will experience a shut down effect that will result in some form of slavery.
Accepting the Mark of the Beast will be that form aswell, man will slave it self to it so because it does not sound right now does not mean when the world is at it's end people will not go down to this level, and maybe we are slaves to the system without knowing it, I bet there is enough food and water and energy and non petrol alternatives to make all these things free to the point where there is no charge. By definition we are slaves and by poverty in the world it still exists.

top topics

join