It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Groom Lake security chopper at Basecamp

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 12:54 PM
link   
www.lazygranch.com...
This is the Groom Lake security helicopter photographed at basecamp. The image was tweaked quite a bit so that the tail number can be seen. Photo taken 9/17/2007.

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 09:37 PM
link   
Cool.
I see copters like that everyday flying over. We live on an Air Force base. Love them! I believe (but im not positive) that is a refueler.

However, this photo could have been taken anywhere

[edit on 30-9-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Sep, 30 2007 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Nice catch, gariac! Keep 'em coming.

We already knew about the Groom/Base Camp connection, but it's always nice to have a more solid link.

The photo should be of great value to scale modelers, as well.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
There is a photo and some info on the tail number on this page
www.lazygranch.com...

The funny thing is the chopper doesn't look like it moved from the time I photographed N196D:
www.lazygranch.com...
The door is in the same position. The gear inside hasn't been touched.

I did leave a bit out of the story. Let's just say I didn't get to linger while photographing that chopper. I've been very nice not to expose any workers at these facilities, but the next one that gets in my face will find their photograph on the net.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   

Cool pictuers, thanks for sharing.

I just wanted to let you know that those exact signs - literally the exact signs are posting at all military bases
I see them every day. And we have cameras almost identical all over base - esp at entry points. And security going up and down the permiter. That is just how military bases are.

With that said, I still find your photos great and have bookmarked the site!

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 09:31 PM
link   
reply to post by greeneyedleo

I don't recall seeing "use of deadly force" signs at any other base. Can you name a base that has them? The "no photography" signs are more common.

Funny thing is Basecamp doesn't have the no photography sign.

posted on Oct, 1 2007 @ 11:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac

I don't recall seeing "use of deadly force" signs at any other base. Can you name a base that has them? The "no photography" signs are more common.

There are "no photography" signs located all over our base. There are "use of..." in many locations on base. Specifically in areas that house weapons.

I guess I dont see it as a big deal.

I certainly dont want anything of our military getting into the hands of our enemies. Im all for tight security

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Hi,

Are you sure this is a 'security' chopper? Looking at the picture closely it clearly says 'rescue' on the tail, coupled with the winch above the door and the medical trolley inside I'd say it's a Rescue chopper!! Mountain Rescue perhaps?

Cheers

Robbie

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 12:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by stratsys-sws
Hi,

Are you sure this is a 'security' chopper? Looking at the picture closely it clearly says 'rescue' on the tail, coupled with the winch above the door and the medical trolley inside I'd say it's a Rescue chopper!! Mountain Rescue perhaps?

Cheers

Robbie

That is exactly what it is. And a refueler at that. That is not a gun attached to it...its a refueler boom.

I see this exact chopper EVERY DAY flying over my house (we have a resue team here)

Pave Hawk Refueler

Pave Hawks

Pave Hawk Rescue

[edit on 2-10-2007 by greeneyedleo]

[edit on 2-10-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:26 PM
link   
The MH-60G PAVE HAWK helicopter in the photo is used by the G.H.O.S.T. Squadron at Groom Lake for mission support, security, and crash rescue operations. It is one of three choppers currently assigned to the unit. This is one of the helicopters that has been sent out to check on tourists encroaching on the Nellis Range border near Area 51.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by gariac

Thats because it's on public land, and right off the highway. I took many pictures there, but because most had people in them, not just friends and acquaintances, but govt. employees, I don't post them publicly. Besides, it's not proper to publish someones pic without written permission.

posted on Oct, 2 2007 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Just for the record, it is absolutely positively 100% NOT a refueling helicopter!! The boom on the front is to BE refueled not to refuel.

Sorry but I wanted to keep the thread as accurate as possible and there has been eroneous information regarding this being a refueling chopper. It is a Pave Hawk for sure but not in a refueling configuration in any stretch of the imagination.

Nice pic, and a little research may yield you the result as far as which it detachment it may belong to for sure. It's a nice chopper but the Blackhawks are just not used in a refueling configuration usually. If they are, there are huge fuel tanks on the outboard pylons(2 minimum) that have a droque basket that can be seen.

All for now, nice thread....Peace, Mondo

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mondogiwa
Just for the record, it is absolutely positively 100% NOT a refueling helicopter!! The boom on the front is to BE refueled not to refuel.

Sorry but I wanted to keep the thread as accurate as possible and there has been eroneous information regarding this being a refueling chopper. It is a Pave Hawk for sure but not in a refueling configuration in any stretch of the imagination.

Nice pic, and a little research may yield you the result as far as which it detachment it may belong to for sure. It's a nice chopper but the Blackhawks are just not used in a refueling configuration usually. If they are, there are huge fuel tanks on the outboard pylons(2 minimum) that have a droque basket that can be seen.

All for now, nice thread....Peace, Mondo

Thank you for the correction. You are correct, and it was typed out incorrectly on my part.

posted on Oct, 3 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   
This is 100% postively an SAR 'Hawk. As mentioned before in this thread, the winch and "rescue" on boom are clearly visible, as is the stretcher configuration inside. The boom on the front is indeed a refueling boom, most likely from a C130 due to airspeed.
Don't know where you got this picture in FACT, but these are quite common at ANY US base with ANY aircraft whatsover... somebody's got to go out and find them when they drop off radar and they stop squaking...
No conspiracy here, that's for sure.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 01:37 PM
link   
reply to post by cbianchi513

It always bugs me when someone says they don't know where I got a photograph that I took. I took the photo at basecamp.

The chopper has been there for so long I wonder if it needs repair.

Incidentally, the chopper when at Groom uses a Sierra Papa callsign, which I assume means Security Patrol. They are heard on the mil air tower frequency.

posted on Oct, 9 2007 @ 09:16 PM
link   
I live in the EXTREME southeast part of the Las Vegas valley, and there is a new heliport just a mile or so away from my house. I hear choppers all the time overhead, and for a while I would run out to see what kind. Mostly news choppers/tourist choppers on their way to Lake Mead/Grand Canyon, but every once in a while, I'll hear the distinct heavy thuds of a military chopper.

I've seen only 4-5 of them in the couple of years the heliport has been operational, but the picture you've provided looks familiar.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 01:15 AM
link   
www.lazygranch.com...
shows this chopper at Basecamp on 6/14 and 6/15/2007. The exposure was poor, making it hard to get the tail number. The other photo was done 3 months later. yet the chopper didn't appear to move. The gear inside is in the same place. Even the doors haven't been closed. There could be a badger nesting there.

The same helicopter can be seen on this page:
www.lazygranch.com...
The relevant information from scramble.nl is included, showing the chopper comes back to Ogden Air logistics.

I'm just baffled about all these posts from those that believe this is not related to area 51.

I got a partial tail number for 90-26352 here:
www.lazygranch.com...

The only Groom chopper I haven't photographed is 90-26223. The base stopped sending the chopper after me after I documented the tail numbers that had only been "spotted" up to that point. It's really hard to get a tail number from these choppers since the aircraft generally needs to be tilted a bit to illuminate the tail, not to mention the low contrast paint job.

If you want the base to send a chopper, it is best to go places near the border where the camo dudes can't see you. You will still be monitored from Bald Mountain. Some poeple have had the chopper show up at Road Block Canyon.

posted on Oct, 10 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Thanks again, gariac, for an informative post. The reason you are taking so much flak is that most people on this site are not interested in factual information about Area 51.

If you try to post facts, they will be ignored or scoffed at. Sometimes these threads are derailed so far off topic, so quickly, that I wonder if it is an attempt to muddy the waters with intentional disinformation and misdirection.

Keep fighting the good fight.

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 01:04 PM
link   

The reason you are taking so much flak is that most people on this site are not interested in factual information about Area 51.

Some of us just don't see what the big deal is.....because in reality, having that chopper there is not a big deal.

Maybe some people want to make something out to be something that isnt factual? I dont know.

It is a rescue chopper. I see ours (we have 2) fly almost every day. Does that mean something "peculiar" is going on? They mostly just fly around, since no rescue has been needed, since I have been here (4yrs).

Some bases that are not even chopper bases, have at least one there - for just in case.'

It is not a security chopper. It is a rescue chopper - which all Air Bases will have at least one. And this, is an air base.

Here is a picture of ours flying over base housing. Just flying around.

i80.photobucket.com...

I know, not close up....but I wasnt prepared to take the picture as they were flying by. LOL

[edit on 11-10-2007 by greeneyedleo]

posted on Oct, 11 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   
Nobody is saying anything unusual is going on, except that the chopper usually isn't present at Base Camp. It is usually at its home base, Area 51. That is what makes it interesting.

As I pointed out in an earlier post, this is one of three MH-60G PAVE HAWK helicopters used by the G.H.O.S.T. Squadron at Groom Lake for mission support, security, and crash rescue operations.

This is one of the helicopters that has been sent out to check on tourists encroaching on the Nellis Range border near Area 51. Most people don't get a close-up, static view of this aircraft.

I'm not sure why so many people on this board are disdainful of anyone with an interest in Groom Lake support aircraft. The JANET commuter planes are just ordinary 737s and B1900s, but we are interested in those, as well. They are all part of the big picture.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join