It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

San Antonio Apartment Complexes are Refusing to Rent to People with Tattoos and Body Art

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:21 PM
link   
reply to post by FredT

I guess it would also depend on what the lease stipulates. If it says in the lease that they can't have tatoos, well then they falsely presented themselves and that puts a whole different twist on things.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 01:40 AM
link   
When I moved to a new house I asked my mother to send me my venetian blinds www.blindsuk.net... from home, as they are really great and cannot do without them in a house with large windows. Luckily the windows sizes were the same so I could fit them perfectly.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 02:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by scientist
totally legal. The complex (among with many others in San Antonio) was bought and "remarketed" towards a higher-class demographic.

So you are suggesting people with Tattoos or body piercings are lower class people?

I find that amazing, there are people from all walks of life that have tattoos and body piercings. As an example, Rich Franklin is currently a UFC fighter. He has tattoos. Previous to fighting professionally, he was a high school teacher. So even though now he has plenty of money, is a high school teacher in your opinion a low class person?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
Just out of interest, are the Constitutional rights something than can be exercised against the individual or against the government? In otherwise, while the government may not be able to pass a law that breaches those rights (in theory, of course), can you stop an individual from adopting a policy that breaches those rights?

Also, how does this stand with regards to freedom of contract?

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   
Hey I live in San Antonio! This isn't a conservative town at all! There are plenty of gang members here with tatoos and regular folk with tatoos. I never heard of anyone being denied an apartment because of it!!

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:22 AM
link   
Unless the tattooed people bring in some "protected class" argument, the landlord can pick and choose who lives there.

The landlord will only get into trouble if the angry applicants find other tattooed people living there, and those other people happen to be single, or married, or a different skin color, etc. If the "real" reason was familial status, or race, or disability, then the landlord is fried, but otherwise his choice is his choice.

He should probably updated his application to ask the question, and then he can easily deny the applications if someone lies about their tattoos.

Also, if someone really wanted to live there, they could claim religious or veteran status for the tattoos. The landlord cannot discriminate on those bases, so if the applicant claims the art is part of initiation in a special military or religious group, then the applicant is protected.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I too live in San Anto, and I believe that I had actually looked at apartments that have a restriction on the number of tattoos. My wife and I both exceeded the maximum amount. we both teach high school, and I a nationally certified motorcycle safety instructor.

Go figure.

posted on Mar, 28 2011 @ 11:30 AM
link   
reply to post by MagoSA

I probably have too many also, but they are easily covered by a T-shirt.

I guess the pool could then be a problem though? Hmmmmmm, that sucks. Oh well, I don't do well in close proximity to yuppies anyway!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join