It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

***Seen the banner guys?!!***

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:54 PM
link   
Dear all!!

I *just* logged off ATS because it's nearly midnight here in UK, but *had* to come back on-line - have you seen the wording at the bottom of the board now??

ATS - deny silence - Coming soon.
Join the AboveTopSecret.com SETI@HOME team,
and earn ATS points.

People - our prayers have been answered!!

Thanx to *everybody* who has helped us reach this tremendous achievement.

Go ATS SETI@home team!!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   

I was happy to see that.
I just lend some computer time to SETI, but it'll be nice to see Genya & crew who *really* put alot into it get some deserved recognition!

-B.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:03 PM
link   
wow

what can I say. that is excellent. that will really raise the profile of the team.

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Does this include the current active membership,..?

Maybe consider reward points for those that hit certain milestones?

50 WU
100 WU

etc.

As incentive to keep the numbers crunching?

(of course Bob88 would get an amazing amount of points for this!)

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by smirkley]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Banshee

I was happy to see that.
I just lend some computer time to SETI, ...-B.

You are racing up the board Banshee!!
The *challenge* is to knock Bob88 off the top - are you up for it?!!

Thanx - it's a ATS SETI@home *team* thing, isn't it?

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
wow

what can I say. that is excellent. that will really raise the profile of the team.

pantha - thanx buddy!! That's all I can say...

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by smirkley
Does this include the current active membership,..?

Maybe consider reward points for those that hit certain milestones?

50 WU
100 WU

etc.

As incentive to keep the numbers crunching?

(of course Bob88 would get an amazing amount of points for this!)

Hi smirkley!!

Thanx for your comments - all duly noted, my friend.

I *think* the detail has still to be worked out - but I'm pretty sure that ideas along the lines you've discussed, such as "milestones", *will* be a feature of any recognition.

Does Bob88 *need* the points??!!
Yeah, of course, just look at the team stats board!!
(If I could catch him, I would, but he has some *awesome* IT stuff there... Bob88, what on Earth are you using??
)

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I'm currently figuring out two levels of reward for participation. Points for your individual SETI work, and points to the ENTIRE TEAM for the team's points (individuals don't share team points unless they produce new results every month).

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:41 PM
link   
DENY SILENCE !!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I'm currently figuring out two levels of reward for participation.

Points for your individual SETI work, and points to the ENTIRE TEAM for the team's points (individuals don't share team points unless they produce new results every month).

*That* is more than generous SO - we'd "number-crunch" regardless - but thank you and all at ATS for making ATS SETI@home team a "significant other"!!

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Genya]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
DENY SILENCE !!!

John, very many thanx for your support from the team - Deny Silence - says it all really, doesn't it?!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
The idea of points for the entire team as long as they are active sounds good because those that can't do huge amounts of units are still getting recognition for their efforts, and the points for individuals is a nice pat on the back especially for those at the top of the board who are obviousley totally dedicated to the cause.
A big thankyou for making this happen

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pantha
The idea of points for the entire team as long as they are active sounds good because those that can't do huge amounts of units are still getting recognition for their efforts, and the points for individuals is a nice pat on the back especially for those at the top of the board who are obviousley totally dedicated to the cause.
A big thankyou for making this happen

All agreed pantha - it depends very much on what equipment you're able to use of course. When I started SETI@home, my machine was a P3 233Mhz, with 128 MbRAM - and it took me about 35 hours to complete one WU (that was when I first joined SETI@home in July 2001). Reaching my 100 completed WU's certificate was a *real* achievement - nowadays, because I've upgraded machines, etc, I can "knock out" about 100 WU's every 10 days or so... (I don't say this to "brag", it's to do with Moores Law and such like).

So, "recognition" is the "key" here, I think: SETI@home was designed to be a screensaver - only operating when the machine had been left unattended - whereas some of us disable the screensaver and run SETI@home constantly - to produce *more* WU's in a given time...

So,
to everybody who contributes to ATS SETI@home team's WU's - go team!!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:30 PM
link   
To the SETI@Home ATS Team and to any others,
ATS has been a great place for me. It has allowed me to become part of a community and now has allowed me an opportunity to become part of a family......and I am grateful.
I guess what I am trying to say is that when you think that many aren't or don't pay attention to your comments, attitudes, thoughts and opinions, be assured that that is not always the case. I'm glad to have played a small part and to have had the opportunity to possibly repay the community members within the SETI@Home Team for their kindness and work in contributing to ATS and to the community itself.
I will only say that "patience is a virtue"....

William and some of the other mods deserve amany thanks for their unseen efforts and the many things that they do...sometimes, bending over-backwards doesn't quite decribe this nor do it complete justice to what I am trying to indicate.

The ATS community is growing, the community spirit and sense of community is growing...in such, SETI@Home Team will continue to benefit and grow. Stay positive, continue to uplift each other and pound those WU's out for the greater good.....'recognition' comes in a variety of unseen and seen ways.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 07:55 PM
link   
Hi Seekerof!!

Very many thanx for all your comments, that I'm sure all of the team echo and applaud whole-heartedly. I avoided quoting directly. as I'm sure that I would have quoted the entire script
and wanted to avoid unnecessary bandwidth!!

We're all very grateful for what you - and others - have done "behind the scenes" - and look forward to being an intrinsic part of ATS - recognised as writers/ fighters/ scholars are already - and showing that our *collective* spirit is truly indicative of ATS itself: whilst having our own points of view on certain matters (of course!!
) we can cooperate and seek to find evidence - *real* evidence - of civilisations outside of the one we already know about - the Earth!!

All it takes is *one* "WOW" signal to be verified - and the ATS SETI@home team *might* stumble across that.. *that* is an amazing thought, IMHO....

And, what are we employing these computers for anyway?? Let them crunch numbers, I say!! Keep them busy... run SETI@home 24/7....!!

Thanx again Seekerof... much appreciated my friemd...

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:02 PM
link   
WOW...an idea !

(seekerof.....hope you dont mind the suggestion)

Up there with the "writer-fighter-scholar" tags in the mini profile...

how about one called...

"Seeker"

for the Seti crew!

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:03 PM
link   
You do not have to post a response to this Genya, but in all due honesty, William and some of the other mods deserve the greater hand of applause on this.

"Attention" was all that was needed....glad I could help.

regards
seekerof

[Edited on 22-1-2004 by Seekerof]

posted on Jan, 22 2004 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Thank you.... "Seeker" sounds fine (but we'll take a vote!!)

and, as it's now past 0200 GMT, I'll go to bed.. (but the machines have SETI monitor installed, with cached WU's, so they will silently crunch units.. what *else* would they do?? Be switched off?!!
) As Meridian Love would say "I?? But I am a creature who doesn't sleep, when there is a party".... but, *that* is another story of course....

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 06:53 AM
link   
just to let it be known that if it comes to a vote then I do think that seeker would be very fitting as a tag for SETI members.

posted on Jan, 23 2004 @ 05:20 PM
link   
I'm happy with "seeker" too - short and snappy (rather like a Jack Russell terrier, really!!)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join