It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Species Discovered - Agent Orange To Blame?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   

[ New Species Discovered - Agent Orange To Blame? ]

news.yahoo.com

HANOI, Vietnam - Scientists have discovered 11 new species of plants and animals in Vietnam, including a snake, two butterflies and five orchid varieties, the Worldwide Fund for Nature (WWF) said Wednesday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
en.wikipedia.org

[ edit - title correction ]

[edit on 26-9-2007 by Choronzon]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Could this be a side effect of Agent Orange, now 40 years later?

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:38 AM
link   
the title of this thread is misleading, especially for a news alert.

the article didn't mention agent orange at all.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:43 AM
link   
AS scientist said, this article doesnt mention Agent Orange, so speculating that it caused the growth of 11 new species is a bit of a stretch.

For now, im guessing its just natural evolution. At least until more information and study is available.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:11 AM
link   
I don't see why we should jump to an Agent Orange conclusion.

I think it's an interesting story all on it's own without coupling it with Agent Orange.

It's interesting to see stories like this that involve our planet because it's completely separate from all the war and all the trash in Hollywood.

So yeah, the title is misleading, and I think it's interesting news without tying it to something having to do with war.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:16 AM
link   
Gotta agree with the rest of the guys here.
TOTALLY misleading thread title.

This should be in the scientific forum.
There have to be many hundreds,thousands possibly millions of undiscovered species of life on the planet..All of which also probably have nothing to do with agent orange too.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
I think that the title of this thread should be "11 New Species in Vietnam"

Then if you want to present evidence that Agent Orange created these new species, so be it. But couldn't it be just as likely that these species were never found? Or found, but never classified?

I personally think it is a shameful act to use Agent Orange at all, I think it is nearly as shameful to jump to conclusions regarding its effects. Pulling its mutagenic qualities out of thin air to sensationalize a conspiracy forum thread about new species in Vietnam is wrong on a moral an intellectual level. Are you making light of the many deaths caused by this toxic substance, because it can magically produce pretty butterflies? I think so.

DocMoreau

Edit to add: I am sorry if I came off harsh. I just found it so crazy to claim that Agent Orange 'created' new species, when it is much more likely that Agent Orange wiped out 11 rare or unknow species because of Man's lack of foresight for the future of our planet and our own species... Sorry to have sounded like a jerk.

[edit on 26/9/2007 by DocMoreau]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 11:59 AM
link   
I disagree...

It is not wrong to infer that toxic chemicals which have been proven to instantiate genetic defects, led to the genetic mutation of localized species.

There are plenty of people who would rather not ask questions, because it does not paint a pretty picture. But life is not pretty.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Choronzon

Ask questions. Be skeptical. But only do so when you have evidence to back it up. The article doesn't mention Agent Orange, and there is no proof to suggest Agent Orange was involved.

Is it possible? Sure. But that doesn't mean that's what happened.

Since you're the original poster, it's up to you to set the trend of the discussion, and if you provide no proof to back up your title and your claims, then how else should the posters respond other than the type of responses you've received?

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 12:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Choronzon
I disagree...

Actually, according to the rules for news submission,

Headline: Please use the original story headline from your source. If the headline is biased or otherwise inapporpriate, provide a descriptive headline that is accurate and reflects the article you're submitting. Submissions with inaccurate, biased or otherwise deceptive headlines may be removed.

This explains why your headline is not in compliance with the submission guidelines.

Your opinion is easily given to us in the "Your Comments" portion of the submission form.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:56 PM
link   
This could make an interesting topic in skunk works, but in Breaking (they found a new mammal in that ares about 20 years ago), Alternative (finding new species?) News (it hardly is)?

Beside that area was one of the few to be spared from agent orange - or they wouldn't be finding much more than cockroaches and rodents today.

Where are the mods here?

You're grossly violating the submission rules for this forum.

new topics

top topics

join