It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Nuclear Power Yes Or No

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:27 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyBlonde

In a Nuclear power plant, there is usually three coolant loops. The first, is a closed curcuit, it does not use any seawater, just very sterile water (This water does not get very radioactive unless there are particles in it). This coolant loop runs through the reactor core, and through a heat exchanger, it exchanges heat to a second closed curcuit coolant loop which runs through the turbines to generate electricity. The heat is then taken away through a third heat exchanger and a third coolant loop. This third coolant loop is open curcuit, and typically gets water from the sea, lake, or river.

ALL reactors have a similar design to that, so the water that gets pumped from a Nuclear plant has not even been close to the Reactor or any Radioactive water. If it comes in fresh, you can guarantee it will come out fresh. Infact, if it were using glacial spring water, there is not a thing in the world which would stop me from drinking the water that has circulated through the third coolant loop.

The waste that everyone talks about is made through decay. Through the splitting of atoms, and radiation, enriched Uranium will slowly decay into normal Uranium and other radioactive isotopes. Obviously this is unusable so people typically dump it in the ground. Obivously the waste is still highly radioactive, so you have to be very careful with it and shielding.

However, with modern technology, what you can do is, re-enrich it using breeder reactors, use it for other things, or re-enrich it and sell it to other countries.

Does that answer your question?

[edit on 26/9/07 by JimmyCarterIsSmarter]

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:34 AM
link   
reply to post by JimmyCarterIsSmarter

I wouldn't drink it.. not that it's radioactive. I always heard that reactor water can give you a serious case of Montezuma's revenge since its so pure..?! not willing to test the Myth myself. You certainly know your reactor loops so..don't forget to wear your lead underwear..

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:55 AM
link   
reply to post by DIRTMASTER

The water being pumped in and out of a Nuclear plant is just used to cool a secondary coolant loop which in itself is not radioactive nor is it heavy water. All the water being pumped out runs through is a heat exchanger and maybe a cooling tower. That's it.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 03:20 AM
link   
Don't forget all the DU headed bullets and mortars we would not have without nuclear power either. Geez, could you imagine!

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by jpm1602
Don't forget all the DU headed bullets and mortars we would not have without nuclear power either. Geez, could you imagine!

Um... I don't think they have anything to do with reactors. During the milling and refining process of U3O8, the enrichment of u235 can be varied..., which is how you get enriched fuel, etc..

DU does not have anything to do with a nuclear reactor.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:08 PM
link   
Have anyone of you figure out, how many people have nuclear power plant killed ( Chenobyl ) compare those killed by fossil fuels ( explosions, fire and war )?

So why NOT to nuclear power plant?

Leave Iran alone ok?????????

I don't think they are a threat to world, they are YES a threat to greedy coward American.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 05:18 PM
link   
One thing that amazed me in visiting the UK (when I could afford to pay attention to something other than driving on the left) was the proliferation of nuclear power plants. They are literally all over the landscape in six packs, eight packs, and more. Some are close enough to the free-er-I mean M Roads that you could throw a rock and hit the cooling towers from the autos as you drove by.

Here in the US of A the mere mention of nuclear power throws the eco-fascist bicyclists into hissy fits. So it's not going to happen here no matter how reasonable it is. I suspect here it's going to be the S-words: Solar, Soybeans, and synthetics that will provide the majority of power in the future.

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Fossil Fuels are not running out. Lmao. They are just greedy bigots and create false scare. I am not supporting the oil industry (automotive,power)actually, I hate it. I can understand using oil for plastic and such, but we don't need to use it for fuel. Fossil fuels are not running out...

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 10:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by lawlb0t
Fossil Fuels are not running out. Lmao. They are just greedy bigots and create false scare. I am not supporting the oil industry (automotive,power)actually, I hate it. I can understand using oil for plastic and such, but we don't need to use it for fuel. Fossil fuels are not running out...

No one said they are running out, they are just dirty... At least the nuclear industry has high standards on waste management and emissions.

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 01:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by schuyler
One thing that amazed me in visiting the UK (when I could afford to pay attention to something other than driving on the left) was the proliferation of nuclear power plants. They are literally all over the landscape in six packs, eight packs, and more. Some are close enough to the free-er-I mean M Roads that you could throw a rock and hit the cooling towers from the autos as you drove by.

There are no nuclear power stations next to Motorways in the UK.

There are only 9 active plants in the country as it stands at the moment.

Please read the following article

Nuclear Power in the UK

posted on Sep, 27 2007 @ 02:04 AM
link   
reply to post by schuyler

Proliferation of N-Plants? ERRRRRR I think you are mistaken sir

We have a lot of gas and some coal powered plants but AFAIK we have none next to, or anywhere near Motorways so I suspect you were looking at FF power plants.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join