It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let's Give Burma Monks A Round Of Applause !

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:47 AM
link   
For Malaysia's charge-leading try here

news.bbc.co.uk...

and here

news.bbc.co.uk...

and here

www.abc.net.au...

This is China's military dictatorship supporting Burma's

www.rfa.org...

However, the Malays got (some of) what they wanted, as seen here

www.abc.net.au...

Note that Burma "has asked to postpone its chairmanship so it can focus on its national reconciliation and democratisation process."

Maybe we should ask Than Shwe how that national reconciliation is going these days?...maybe he didn't focus on it enough while he was building his new jungle capital...

news.bbc.co.uk...
news.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:11 AM
link   
A small update to the incredible situation in Myanmar. Thanks for bringing this to light. Every free person with the ability should get on this bandwagon, and I refer to the peaceful demonstrations that, as Ghandi showed, can really change the world.
news.yahoo.com...

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Its a surprise that ASEAN has let Burma be a part of itself all this time.

Even Pakistan was expelled from teh commonwealth when Mushy boy came to power..

Now it seems like Myanmar will not take chairmanship but will ASEAN press further for total expulsion?

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 12:17 PM
link   
I hope India and Malaysia are careful that they do not excessively intervene in Burma's affairs. Don't get me wrong, the current government is totally corrupt and a major overhaul is badly needed, but the last thing the Burmese people need is for the revolution to be commandeered by foreigners who care more about their own interests than they care about the Burmese people.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 01:58 PM
link   
I was delighted to see on the news tonight on my way home from work that over 10,000 marched through Rangoon today. Those Monks are the bravest souls i have ever seen. I do hope they can finally bring democracy to Burma and put an end to 40 years of oppression. Good on them and even though i am not in Burma, i am marching with them in spirit. I will say a prayer for the Burma Monks tonight and for all those living in Burma. i will also pray this will end peacefully, though at the back of mind i fear a certain massacre that took place in a Chinese Square back in 1989 will happen here in Burma. I hope it does not happen.

Viva the Burma Monks (and Nuns!) and Viva the Revolution in Burma !!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Wirral Bagpuss

Looks to me like so many are against the government that I don't think even the harshest of crackdowns would save them now. If I were them I would start shopping for offshore real estate!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 02:39 PM
link   
It has not made any major headlines over here in The States, as far as I know. But here are two BBC videos I got from cspanjunkiedotorg on youtube, if anyone is interested:

From September 20th:

From September 24th:

It seems tens of thousands of civilians are joining the monks and nuns. I hope everyone over there protesting stays safe and peaceful protest remains peaceful!

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 04:22 PM
link   
A little update on the situation in Burma:

Burmese military threatens monks

Burma's ruling military junta has warned it is ready to "take action" against Buddhist monks leading mounting protests, state media have reported.

Brig Gen Thura Myint Maung, minister for religion, warned them not to break Buddhist "rules and regulations" as Rangoon saw the largest march yet.

He blamed the protests on "destructive elements" opposed to peace in Burma.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 05:04 PM
link   
I would like to express my admiration for these monks, these nuns, and all of their supporters.

I would also like to say how pleased I am to read a story in which, in this era of religious tension around the world, religion is being used for GOOD.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   
I know very little about this situation, but what little I do know tells me that these people are doing a good and brave thing.

I also hope that this does not come to violence. I read an article in the paper this morning that stated that due to the immense respect that is held for the monks in this mainly Buddhist nation, that they are the least likely to be harmed by any hostile government action. The backlash would be enormous. Even so, what the monks and nuns and others are doing still has danger, and they should be commended for what they are doing.

posted on Sep, 24 2007 @ 10:28 PM
link   
Just a word of warning, to highlight how serious the situation there is. Reuters fed a news video worldwide of protest in Rangoon and then sent an advisory embargoing it because Burmese authorities who saw it would be able to put two and two together and have a good idea of the cameraman's identity, thus seriously endangering his well-being and continued ability to breathe.

But if you go here, you'll see photos that obviously are not a danger to anybody, except maybe Than Shwe and Soe Win...

news.bbc.co.uk...

As for ASEAN, Burma already passed on the rotating chairmanship, due primarily to Malaysia's actions. Burma was originally admitted as a means for ASEAN to actually pressure the junta, didn't work. Other members include Laos and VN, hardly pictures of healthy democracy, and Cambodia.

(mostly off topic)
For an idea of the moral character of the Cambodian authorities, go here:

www.youtube.com...

and here (where diplomatic immunity and UN markings are apparently meaningless)

www.youtube.com...

and these two are one of the favourite topics of conversation on the streets of Phnom Penh...

www.youtube.com...
pisethpilika.free.fr...

...and these are the people we expect to publicly condemn SLORC (or whatever their current nifty acronym is)...

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 12:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
I hope India and Malaysia are careful that they do not excessively intervene in Burma's affairs. Don't get me wrong, the current government is totally corrupt and a major overhaul is badly needed, but the last thing the Burmese people need is for the revolution to be commandeered by foreigners who care more about their own interests than they care about the Burmese people.

Well the irony is that if they do NOT excessively intervene, the Military will just get more powerful with continued support from China..

Its not that everybody has been sleeping for the last 20 years.. Nothing has helped..
And I doubt much will change.. unless there is a bloodbath in the near future..

I detest the irony.. no action unless blood is split..

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
bbc news website headline is saying that troops and riot police are reported to be moving in on the protesting monks in rangoon - no other details as yet.

hope it doesn't turn into bloodbath

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:28 AM
link   
Burmese monks defy army warning

From the link:

Tens of thousands of monks and civilians in Burma's main city Rangoon have defied military warnings and staged new anti-government protests.
Some chanted "we want dialogue", others simply shouted "democracy, democracy".

Earlier lorries with loudspeakers warned residents that the protests could be "dispersed by military force".

After the march finished, eyewitnesses told two news agencies they had seen several military trucks moving on Rangoon's streets.

That is indeed what BBC News are reporting.

I really, truly hope these people succeed, and manage to end the vile and corrupt military junta who rule them, who are more concerned with the brass buttons on their uniforms than the people.

Seeing them march, the monks, nuns, ordinary civillians, in defiance, and bravely, hand in hand sends a shiver down my spine.

I feel and sense their fear, their excitement. the photos, the video footage, the history of their country makes it that palpable.

But equally, a shiver runs down my spine to hear the reports of military trucks entering Rangoon.

It reminds so much of Tianamen Square, 1989, and indeed of Burma 1988.

I hope the people triumph.

But I fear the worst.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 07:31 AM
link   
I just pray this doesnt turn out like the last attempt when thousnds were shot and many many people killed.

France should also take some responsibility for their company Total Oil Buying Burmese oil and gas and paying millions to the Generals.

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 03:08 PM
link   
Hmm i hope the Monks come to no harm as well. They are very brave souls and i salute them every step of the way. If they are harmed, the UN should go into Burma and take over. Blue helmet job. And on the way home once democracy is brought to Burma they can sort about Muguabe as well. It is time for these evil regimes to go and go NOW

Viva the Burma Monks !! Will light a candle for them this weekend in Church. i suggest everyone do the same!

posted on Sep, 25 2007 @ 09:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wirral Bagpuss
once democracy is brought to Burma they can sort about Muguabe as well. It is time for these evil regimes to go and go NOW

Viva the Burma Monks !! Will light a candle for them this weekend in Church. i suggest everyone do the same!

As Leo Amery said to Chamberlain, "In the name of God, go!"

Than Shwe, Soe Winn, you can offer nothing your country needs and everything it doesn't, so please, for the sake of millions, in the name of God, go and let the Lady take the position the people chose her for.

Looking at the situation, and the way it changes several times a day, I think this really is the end-game in Burma for the Generals. They've managed to put it off for 18 years, but I think, I really do think, that the light at the end of the tunnel is actually the 8:15 express rushing towards them. I can only hope that some bright spark doesn't decide that if the Generals can't have it no-one can and put a bullet in Suu Kyi as a parting gift.

Burma after the Generals will need someone with her patience at the helm. Fire-breathing radical students do not good transitional governments make...

posted on Sep, 26 2007 @ 02:41 PM
link   
Oh no! Just come in from work with a filthy cold and seen on news that some Monks have been killed and lots of arrests and beating up/tear gas used. Have the soldiers no shame? They are killing peaceful non violent monks for crying outloud. This is totally unacceptable. I really do hope Justice will prevail in the end.

If any of the Monks or anyone from Burma is reading this, then i wish you to know you are in my thoughts and prayers. May your God go with you and i hope you find the freedom you are looking for.

[edit on 26/9/07 by Wirral Bagpuss]

posted on Sep, 28 2007 @ 02:11 AM
link   
RIP Kenji Nagai, just the latest journalist to die trying to bring a story ot the world.

ca.news.yahoo.com...

Kenji Nagai, a Japanese video photographer was killed by Burmese troops while covering the protests in Rangoon on 27/9/2007.

Also killed were 8 Burmese. Official state media count was one dead. Australian Ambassador said it could be "multiples of the official count of ten".

For what it looks like, go here

www.youtube.com...

The state-owned media is accusing the BBC and VoA of "a skyfull of lies" and blaming the protest on foreigners (been reading Mugabe's playbook?). Rather wierdly, they have claimed the protestors were threatened into taking part (if you can work that logic out, let me know).

news.bbc.co.uk...

Here is the ITN interview with UK Ambassador to Burma

rtv.rtrlondon.co.uk...

highlights:

"I think our concern is they will make the mistake of thinking
this is some sort of foreign inspired plot which is exactly what the official
media has been pretending it is.

"I mean it is not, it reflects deep, deep misery amongst the
population of their economic hardship and it reflects deep, deep frustration
at the absence of political progress.

"We have had a political process that's been going on now for
several years and has delivered nothing in terms of political