It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

State of the Union was a crock

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:30 AM
link   
Although there are many statements within the address that made me gag...here are a selection that I found particularly hard to swallow.

1. The Patriot Act:

"For years, we have used similar provisions to catch embezzlers and drug traffickers. If these methods are good for hunting criminals, they are even more important for hunting terrorists. Key provisions of the PATRIOT Act are set to expire next year. The terrorist threat will not expire on that schedule. Our law enforcement needs this vital legislation to protect our citizens - you need to renew the PATRIOT Act."

--That's right America, please sign away your freedom for good this time...I don't want it to expire in another couple of years again. To show you how much you need to do this I will back it up with threats of more terror to come if you don't. There's democracy! George, let the people decide whether they want their rights stomped on or not, don't threaten your own people into submission...brutal.

2. Dangerous Regimes
"America is committed to keeping the world's most dangerous weapons out of the hands of the world's most dangerous regimes."

--LOL, seems to me that the good old USA is responsible for the most killing in the past decade...perhaps they should dismantle their own weapons. They should probably hand their weapons to Canada, the only country that truly believes in peace right now, I think (althoguh, I may be biased :p)

3. WOMD
"We are seeking all the facts - already the Kay Report identified dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations."

--WOMD-related...lol, that could be anything, many manufacturing plants, power plants, technology development sites could be deemed WOMD-related. The simple fact is, they could just have easily been programs for producing better technology, more efficient power, and better manufacturing process'. This does not justify your war Mr. Bush.

4. Health Care
"A government-run health care system is the wrong prescription. By keeping costs under control, expanding access, and helping more Americans afford coverage, we will preserve the system of private medicine that makes America's health care the best in the world."

--LOL, LOL, LOL, "best in the world" are you crazy. I would almost rather get sick anywhere than the US. People with gunshot wounds are asked to wait because they don't have proper coverage...now that's number 1 in my books. Public healthcare is the best way, sure it costs more, but everyone is covered and treated. Give me the Canadian healthcare system any day. If you truly want to see the best HC in the world...look North my friend.

Does anyone else have similar or contrary comments? I don't want to be thought of as anti-American. I am not. I AM much more pro-Canadian though. I truly believe that the American people have "elected" a baffoon to run their country...a great country.

[Edited on 21-1-2004 by Lukefj]

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 08:36 AM
link   
Does anyone else have similar or contrary comments? I don't want to be thought of as anti-American. I am not. I AM much more pro-Canadian though. I truly believe that the American people have "elected" a baffoon to run their country...a great country.

I'm all American. All for America. And a recovering former Republican. The State of the Union address was pure pablum. It looked like one big frockin pep rally. There's your 'boy wonder' America. Nothing but a pathetic, lying, little cheer leader for war mongers/profiteers. Go ahead, America. Elect the buffoon at your peril. Four more years of BushCo. and this nation will be straight down the third-world toilet.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 11:57 AM
link   
They really have to stop those constant standing ovations and clapping after every sentence.

They've done that for decades and it looks bad on television.

The speech should be limited to 35 minutes, and there should be no applause until the end.

I'm glad I didn't watch it.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:16 PM
link   
I'm glad I didn't watch it either. I can't stand the applause after ever other sentence.

I'm a conservative also, but a very pissed off one at that.

I'm also Canadian. My dream as a little kid was to live in hawaii and have a mansion with my best friend and tennis courts, as naive as it sounds, I wanted it up until a few months ago, when I learned the truth. Moved to the states, and got angry with bush.

I poo poo on this gov. But I still love the country.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 01:40 PM
link   
i specifically liked when he referred to other country's wmd's as "weapons of mass murder" as if our nukes are righteous but everyone else's are evil

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:06 PM
link   
What about him resorting to talking about the letter from the 12 year old girl Ashley Pearson of RI, I almost gagged when I heard-

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   

--LOL, LOL, LOL, "best in the world" are you crazy. I would almost rather get sick anywhere than the US. People with gunshot wounds are asked to wait because they don't have proper coverage...now that's number 1 in my books. Public healthcare is the best way, sure it costs more, but everyone is covered and treated. Give me the Canadian healthcare system any day. If you truly want to see the best HC in the world...look North my friend.

Have to disagree with you there... Having many friends in Canada, and that I often visit, while your health care system has a lot of plusses, it really lags when it comes to non-immediate care... UNLESS you are seriously injured, you're in for a long wait. Contrary to opinion, you will NOT be turned away from a hospital if you have a life-threatening condition, or other serious issue, (such as a gunshot, heart attack, etc.). It is illegal to do so.... Even if not a lethal condition, you can still get medical attention fine (you just end up owing an arm and a leg, hehe.) without insurance.

There is a reason many people come here from other countries to get medical services... Regardless of what you may believe, the USA has the best doctors and hospitals to be found anywhere...

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   

1. The Patriot Act:

"For years, we have used similar provisions to catch embezzlers and drug traffickers. If these methods are good for hunting criminals, they are even more important for hunting terrorists. Key provisions of the PATRIOT Act are set to expire next year. The terrorist threat will not expire on that schedule. Our law enforcement needs this vital legislation to protect our citizens - you need to renew the PATRIOT Act."

--That's right America, please sign away your freedom for good this time...I don't want it to expire in another couple of years again. To show you how much you need to do this I will back it up with threats of more terror to come if you don't. There's democracy! George, let the people decide whether they want their rights stomped on or not, don't threaten your own people into submission...brutal.

Naw, maybe let all the drug runners in. Everyone else too. That seems to be Canada's answer to the problem. They just look right over top of it and say "what problem"? Many terrorists entered from Canada, or maybe you forgot. I think a few might have been hiding the in mad cow shipment.
Or maybe use what the democrats said in return, give the authorities better equipment to "respond" to a problem.
So, we go from proactive to reactive. Attention terrorists...come on in!

2. Dangerous Regimes
"America is committed to keeping the world's most dangerous weapons out of the hands of the world's most dangerous regimes."

--LOL, seems to me that the good old USA is responsible for the most killing in the past decade...perhaps they should dismantle their own weapons. They should probably hand their weapons to Canada, the only country that truly believes in peace right now, I think (althoguh, I may be biased :p)

Canada just doesn't believe in standing up to anyone. If they do, they need to make sure the USA is standing right behind them like a big brother.

3. WOMD
"We are seeking all the facts - already the Kay Report identified dozens of weapons of mass destruction-related program activities and significant amounts of equipment that Iraq concealed from the United Nations."

--WOMD-related...lol, that could be anything, many manufacturing plants, power plants, technology development sites could be deemed WOMD-related. The simple fact is, they could just have easily been programs for producing better technology, more efficient power, and better manufacturing process'. This does not justify your war Mr. Bush.

Indeed and I suppose it's what the focus shall remain instead of the fact that a great many people died at Saddam's orders. He took over Kuwait for...oh yeah, fun, land, and plunder. He attacked Iran. He gassed the Kurds over religion. He played games with the UN and weapon inspectors. Of course after all of that...the USA is the bad guy.
Is not the USA just doing the same thing? Took over Iraq for fun, land, and plunder. So why don't they get the same break Iraq seems to get in everyone's heart? And if that was the CN Tower, have no doubt that Canada would be asking for help to solve their problem.

4. Health Care
"A government-run health care system is the wrong prescription. By keeping costs under control, expanding access, and helping more Americans afford coverage, we will preserve the system of private medicine that makes America's health care the best in the world."

The USA is 11 countries below on the list. Even though Canada has an entire population smaller than the state of California. Not to mention you shouldn't get cancer or need a transplant in Canada...you might die before you ever get the chance.

I know Cretin or Chretien was so much better. HAHAHA! Or was that just a bid to entice Quebec to stay part of Canada? What about Mulroney? Campbell? Martin?
I am sure Canada has never voted someone bad into office. But that is because Canadians don't run their country. If so, then why can you not have a say about basic television? Just one small liberty, right? Canada actually has government censures. The government dictates 30% of what is on. Well, of course you can get beer at the store. No? Government controls that? Glad you can take up arms. Hmmm...strict controlling gun control that many Americans fear?

I guess Canada has always been perfect.
Ohhh...wait

December 2002 � For over a decade the Ukrainian Canadian Civil Liberties Association (UCCLA) has sought recognition and restitution for the wrongs done to Canadians of Ukrainian and other European origins during this country's first national internment operations of 1914 to 1920. Thousands of men, and some women and children, were labeled "enemy aliens," herded into Canadian concentration camps, forced to do heavy labour, had assets confiscated, were disenfranchised and subjected to various other state sanctioned censures. These government policies were the result of wartime xenophobia, ignorance and prejudice.

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gazrok

Have to disagree with you there... Having many friends in Canada, and that I often visit, while your health care system has a lot of plusses, it really lags when it comes to non-immediate care... UNLESS you are seriously injured, you're in for a long wait. Contrary to opinion, you will NOT be turned away from a hospital if you have a life-threatening condition, or other serious issue, (such as a gunshot, heart attack, etc.). It is illegal to do so.... Even if not a lethal condition, you can still get medical attention fine (you just end up owing an arm and a leg, hehe.) without insurance.

There is a reason many people come here from other countries to get medical services... Regardless of what you may believe, the USA has the best doctors and hospitals to be found anywhere...

Agreed!

for example Buffalo NY a small city with maybe 1.5 Million in region has more high end medical imaging devices that does Toronto with nearly 5 million urban population. Doesn't sound right to me!

posted on Jan, 21 2004 @ 03:10 PM
link   
I did not watch all of his speech but most of it and I was impressed.

Nor did I think that it was too over the top as suggested here by some. I have seen more tacky ones in past such as Clinton's for example.

The only complaint I have was several of Bush's errors which you don't expect to see. He did deal with them well though, so he is learning. Obviously, he is not as good a speaker as Clinton was, but he is far better than our past Prime Minister Here in Canada, Chretien. He is also likely better than our new Prime Minister Martin, who is very boring to say the least.

top topics

join