It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Marry Our Daughter" - Disgusting Website

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:03 AM
link   
I have seen a lot of weird and disturbing things in my years on the internet but this is right up there with some of the worst.

Marry Our Daughter is a website where parents put their daughters up for sale (some as young as 13) to men on the internet. All defended by the bible.

some quotes from the website:

Marry Our Daughter is an introduction service assisting those following the Biblical tradition of arranging marriages for their Daughters.

Q: IS YOUR SERVICE LEGAL? A: Absolutely. Within the United States girls can marry as young as 13 years old with parental permission, and the Bride Price is a custom of long standing, mentioned many times in the Bible, and as such is a protected religious practice.

Some of the disturbing testimonials:

"At first we were worried that Janine was too young to get married, but then her new husband bought her a house and a car and jewelry and the money we got let us buy a house for ourselves. Getting out of the trailer park at our age was the best thing that ever happened to us, and it’s all thanks to Marry Our Daughter!"

“I was SO scared getting married so young, but my husband is an okay guy and I am SO proud that because of me my parents were able to get their first brand-new car and take the trip they always wanted to. I couldn’t have done it without your site!"

“Our 15 year old daughter Mary wasn’t very popular and did nothing but mope around the house bringing everybody down, so we decided to marry her off through your site. Now our house is a lot cheerier and we love our new swimming pool and Jaccuzi! We’ve told our youngest that when she turns 15 we’re going to marry her off too!"

A couple sold their daughter off so they could have a HOLIDAY?! This is sick.

When I first saw this site I thought it HAD to be a joke, but I can't find anything that says it is. If you do then please, by all means, show me.

Does anyone else think that these people putting their daughters up for sale to strangers on the internet at such a young age and all in the name of the bible as disturbing as my friends and I do?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
Dont you have laws against Paedophiles in the US? surely this would contravene them?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Sounds like a joke but it's a crazy world so probably genuine. Sad thing is it'll probably take on, some folk are so greedy. Worse when they're stupid too.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:10 AM
link   
reply to post by Toy_soldier

Well they must also put into consideration the life expectancy when the bible was written, and also those times are very different from today. Selling your daughter off for marriage is very wrong in my opinion, but it is still done by some Muslim families around the world.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Chorlton

I'm in Australia but I'd imagine they'd have very strict laws against pedophiles in the US, but apparently this is a protected religeous practice and the website says that it is legal for girls as young as 13 to be married in the US, as long as they have their parents permission.

That doesn't make it any less wrong though.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:11 AM
link   
Legal?

My foot. This is by no means legal! It does fall under pedophiles and that's punishible by law.

...so that they could get out of the trailer park..... Yea, there's a clue for you.
This is very sick.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:15 AM
link   
reply to post by dgtempe

Yes, I saw the trailer park comment also and thought 'Bloody figures'.

But I suppose they are saying that MARRYING the girls at 13 is legal, but anything sexual that the husbands do with the girls has nothing to do with the website, as marriage is the only 'service' they are providing.

They're pretty much just chucking the children to the perverts.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
It's a prank site, a parody aimed at drawing attention to inconsistent marriage laws

bits.blogs.nytimes.com...

“People get angry so fast they don’t stop to question whether its real,” says the creator of MarryOurDaughter.com, John Ordover, who masqueraded as the site’s fictional publicity director, the unlikely surnamed Roger Mandervan.
Mr. Ordover is a science-fiction editor with a prankish history and an interest in urban nudism.
Contacted through MarryOurDaughter this morning, Mr. Ordover quickly conceded the page was a parody aimed at drawing attention to inconsistencies in state marriage laws.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:21 AM
link   
HOAX

The founder was wanting to bring attention to marriage and statutory rape laws.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:22 AM
link   
I am very offended my people would give up something as precious as their child to the first availible buyer. Some of us would love the chance to raise a child and give her away properly. We are like Rome in the end of its life, the people are mentally disturbed to do this, especially host a site like this.This has to be illegal, as soon as I clicked on the site my computer started crunching data over to the feds.I am going to say 2 thumbs down with a smack in the head.
This thread should be locked up in DWT opinion, It only draws bad press.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:23 AM
link   
WOW! I am speechless.

As far as the legality of this, it would probably depend on state laws. In some states, with parental consent, girls can get married at age 13. Again it depends on the state you are located in. I am just shocked it is online, but I probably shouldn't be.

Other than that all I can say is...WOW.

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 06:25 AM
link   
reply to post by 12m8keall2c

Oh, well there you have it. Cheers.

Gotta say, I'm pretty relieved.

End of thread I guess?

posted on Sep, 16 2007 @ 09:49 AM
link   
This was up a couple weeks ago, decried and debunked here:

www.belowtopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 7 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
I can just imagine…..

“Alright…finally, I can by a little slave girl...."

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   

"At first we were worried that Janine was too young to get married, but then her new husband bought her a house and a car and jewelry and the money we got let us buy a house for ourselves. Getting out of the trailer park at our age was the best thing that ever happened to us, and it’s all thanks to Marry Our Daughter!"

“I was SO scared getting married so young, but my husband is an okay guy and I am SO proud that because of me my parents were able to get their first brand-new car and take the trip they always wanted to. I couldn’t have done it without your site!"

huh?... "my husband is an okay guy" but of course you dont need to love who your married to dear, as long as he's "okay"....
and marrying your daughter to get out of a trailer park?? maybe the reason thy're in the trailer park is because they do things like sell their underage daughters to peadophiles?
i mean, why else would old men want a 13 year old bride?
companionship through the long winter nights?
im afraid i dont have enough faith in humanity to believe anything other than my worst fears.

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 12:05 PM
link   
Yes, Quite disgusting....

What was the name of that sight again?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 03:12 PM
link   
Isn't this just prostitution with the parents as pimps?

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:37 PM
link   
I wish people would read the whole thread... It's a hoax.

A laugh, A giraffe and a lovely hot bath all rolled in to one.

And considering how marriage laws vary across the world let alone the US, the guy has a really valid point to make.

Perhaps the NWO could get the world in line when they get in to power after the great whatever in 2012.

MonKey

posted on Jan, 20 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
reply to post by ChiKeyMonKey

Agreed with Chikey,

No matter how hot this site is, we have to remember it's just a gag. So, no need to start saving, no one can buy a 16 year old girl for $40,000.

new topics

top topics

join