It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Two Parties?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:50 PM
link   
Why does the media act like we only have two possible choices for president? There are several other large parties out there that you almost NEVER hear mentioned, or if you do its only in referance to how you would be wasting your vote because they could never win. Look at how much FREE air time the big 2 get on the news networks, how often do you hear them mention the libertarians, the green party, constitional party, etc? And out of these few times how of often is it a message of how they offer a REAL choice for change and how often are they just making fun of them?

Not to mention that the ballot laws in a lot of states makes it almost impossible for a third party canadate to get elected.

What are they scared of?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:54 PM
link   
Governments are not usually voted in as the existing ones are voted out. The big two take full advantage of that. If you want change in government you would then be "wasting your vote" on another party but the big two.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:58 PM
link   

If you want change in government you would then be "wasting your vote" on another party but the big two.

So are you agreeing that voting for anyone other than the big 2 is a waste of a vote?

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 04:59 PM
link   
Only if you want a change in government.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Only if you want a change in government.

Do you really think that either of the 2 are gonna make ANY changes other than to take more of our freedoms?

I see it totally different I think the ONLY way to get a change is to vote in other parties.

I am real interested in hearing what you or anyone else has to say on this subject.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:23 PM
link   
I totally agree with you. However there is a small voting public that turn an election. "I'm a Rep(or Dem) because my parents were." Some people have certain political ideals that are espoused by one party but not the other. Therefore the swing vote are those that will look at all views and decide for themselves which side they represents them best. Not a perfect system but only one that a voter has to use. And like you said the big two get all the free media. Look at what Perot did. He poured big money into elections but still couldn't compete with the others.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:47 PM
link   
I don't get the predominate two party system, either. I'm a year away from being of voting age. When I turn 18, I'm going to register as an Independant. That way I don't have to be blinded by a party ideology.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:49 PM
link   
If there was a LOT more like you then maybe we could actually get gov. to work for us.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I think that enough people are discusted with what we have to make a change but most think that there vote would do no good thinks to the propaganda from those in power. I really hope that the average person wakes up while we can still make the change with ballets instead of bullets.

I wonder if the powers that be would allow another party to come into power? I mean on the federal level there are a lot on local and state level.

But if the propaganda and the tilted voting laws were not enough I wonder if they would try something a little more "forceful", I hope things have not gone that far.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Amuk, you've got a valid point, and one that's scary.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:12 PM
link   

Amuk, you've got a valid point, and one that's scary.

I know it is.

I see you are from Canada, this is my HOME and I love it and it makes me sick to see what is happining to it. I honestly fear for the future of the land I love and swore an oath to protect from all enimies inside and outside so many years ago. It seems that those in other countries, like you, can see this happining more clearly than most americans can.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Can or allowed to? Thanks to CNN,Fox,CBS,NBC,ABC or MTV. The last one is a joke. To be totally honest we are so linked in so many ways that it is only a matter of time before they're tacking more stars on the flag when we are admitted to the union.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:21 PM
link   
And can this be a bad thing? We're a large nation, with vast natural resouces, sparcely populated exept for the cities. A country thats a continent, haven't heard of that since Australia. No disrespect to Mexico, they are invited to.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:26 PM
link   

Can or allowed to?

Good question.

And yes it is true our countries seem more like Britians two unruly sons than seperate countries.

If things get much worse yall will probibly see a lot more americans moving north. Not me though like I said this is my home and I will not leave nor be ran off.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:28 PM
link   
Don't come now the windchill is -30 C. Less than 0 F.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:30 PM
link   
Don't come now the windchill is -30 C. Less than 0 F.

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:31 PM
link   
the '2 party' system is actualy a one party system. Even thou the 2 parties fight against each other, they have a common goal..the fight to stay in power and more importantly the subjugation of the american public. the only way a 3rd party will ever be in power on the federal level is if it is put there by force. How many people vote in america? and out of those that vote, how many actually pay attention to what is happening? the majority get their info from the 30 second blurbs on the local news...and we all know how informative that is. the majority of americans sit by and keep their heads firmly planted in the sand, unknowing, uncaring.....the land of the free and home of the brave....America has changed to the land of the apathetic and home of the hesitant

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Most workplaces allow you to take time to vote but if the public won't go how can you have change? Hopefully in the future, not this election, someone will ignite the people from a party other than the big guys. VOTE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:49 PM
link   
Another problem with 3rd parties is that not only they get a small part of the votes but that small ammount of votes is split between the different 3rd parties. Maybe what is needed is for the 3rd parties to unite!

Don't come now the windchill is -30 C

The other day we had a blizzard, -45C windchill( I'll let you find the conversion to F) and 90 km/h wind gusts
You might wanna whait 'till summer if you wanna escape Bushland

posted on Jan, 20 2004 @ 06:51 PM
link   
That is a good point. And you only got me in the shoulder.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join