It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Microwave Popcorn Linked to Lung Harm

page: 1
1

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   

Microwave Popcorn Linked to Lung Harm


www.webmd.com

It's a rare disease, first seen in 1985 in workers in food-flavor factories. In 2002, the disease was seen in workers making microwave popcorn -- in particular, those exposed to a buttery-tasting chemical called diacetyl. There have been many other reports since then, with at least three deaths and many patients awaiting lung transplants.

But Rose's patient had never been exposed to food-flavoring fumes. His only exposure was to the two or more bags of microwave popcorn he consumed every day.
(visit the link for the full news article)


Related News Links:
seattletimes.nwsource.com
abclocal.go.com




posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:44 PM
link   
The culprit, a buttery tasting chemical called diacetyl.

The disease it causes, bronchiolitis obliterans.

The disease causes the "obliteration of the tiny airways in the lung".

People who work in food "flavor" factories were the first to be diagnosed with the disease in 1985, then in 2002 people working in microwave popcorn factories started being diagnosed with the disease.

Apparently, eating diacetyl is harmless, but after it is microwaved, breathing the fumes as soon as the bag is opened can be dangerous.

So far the EPA has done nothing to ban the use of the chemical in foods even though the chemical has been found to cause this deadly disease.

So, if you have to have microwave popcorn, don't breathe the fumes when you open the bag!

www.webmd.com
(visit the link for the full news article)


[edit on 11/9/07 by Keyhole]



posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Aw, rats! I only eat the stuff once a month or so, but still, now I'm paranoid of the buttery goodness in my microwave.

One of my neighbors keeps bringing me packages of the stuff from the dollar store across the street -- I threw them away, didn't have the heart to say no to her because she thinks she's doing me a favor. Now I'm glad I did. I bet the dollar store popcorn is worse than the Orville Redenbacher's I usually buy.

Time to go back to basics -- popping it on the stove in oil. Mmmmmmm .... popcorn ...



posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 05:09 PM
link   
Aw now I'm hungry....And I love the smell when you open the bag...damn.
But seriously...who eats 2-3 bags a DAY...The guy could just as easily died of a coronary!!!


apc

posted on Sep, 11 2007 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Microwave popcorn, of course, gives off hot fumes if the bag is opened before the cooked popcorn cools. According to news reports, Rose's patient liked to inhale the aroma of newly popped microwave popcorn.

"Now see kids! Huffing can kill you!"

I knew I read about this before somewhere...
Popcorn Fumes are Coming to Get You! The EPA studies....vapors from popcorn bags?

I thought it was mostly a concern with burnt popcorn, though.



new topics

top topics
 
1

log in

join