It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Is democracy real in the US?

page: 1
0

log in

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 04:35 PM
link   
You know i was thinking today about the upcomiing election next year and suddenly i came to the realization that if this were a democracy anyone could run for office and possibly have a victory.

But instead it seems that people are hand picked for us from the same groups and these people are paraded to us in an attempt to get us to believe that we are actually choosing who runs this country.

While its true that not everyone is meant to be a leader, it is unsettling that we have not really voted someone outside of party lines into office.

Another thing i dont like about our so called system is the electoral college, state population should not have anything to do with which state gets how many slots or whatever. If its suposed to be the peoples choice shouldnt it be then whatever the majority says goes.

I dont know call me naive if you will but i really dont think we are practicing democracy in the USA and i dont blame the goverment i blame te people born here who do not have the testicular fortitude to run for office because they dont want to get into all the red tape that the office brings along with it.

but if we truly make this a people's republic i dont see why the average joe cant apply for that possition granted there should be some pre qualifications just to make sure we dont have someone thats a push over.

these are just my thought on all this and sorry if this this is the wrong spot for it.




posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
well, to be technical, i suppose you could say that we are not a democracy, but a republic. Because in a democracy 51 percent of the people control the other 49 percent. I don't even think we are a 'true' democracy because we should be able to select the people we vote for in the the first place, i mean we always just have to choose between people that are totally pampered for the position, HAVE to get the nomination and of course are ONLY republican or democrat.



posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 12:39 PM
link   
yes exactly what im tlking about



new topics
 
0

log in

join