It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How medication screwed up my life.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

Ohoho...so I shouldn't criticize because someone's feelings could get hurt, eh?

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by uberarcanist
reply to post by undo

Ohoho...so I shouldn't criticize because someone's feelings could get hurt, eh?

Nope. You shouldn't criticize because you aren't an animal. If you see someone suffering, you don't dive for their jugular because its easy prey.
You look for solutions, gentle, working solutions. For this reason, good doctors don't whack their patients over the head with sledge hammers, but proceed with caution and consideration.

[edit on 4-9-2007 by undo]

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:03 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I will take your advice under consideration. At the same time, when someone throws their own pity party, I don't bring presents.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:06 PM
link   

reply to post by undo

I will take your advice under consideration. At the same time, when someone throws their own pity party, I don't bring presents.

Most medically-related pity parties are the result of years of frustration and non-solutions. Some may be their own faults and some may not. Since you and I have no way of knowing which is which, you run the chance of victimizing the patient further.

For example, if the patient has a genetic disorder, this is not their fault. They need solutions but as medicine is an ongoing thing, and not all doctors are on the same page, the patient may never get the solution. That can be frustrating and debilitating.

NOTE:
For those who haven't or don't read previous pages in threads, please review this link
Methyl B-12
www.abovetopsecret.com...

PDF file, Methyl B-12 research by Dr. Neubrander
/36qvjp

[edit on 4-9-2007 by undo]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:37 AM
link   
In reply to Slackerwire: The reason I followed the advice of the doctors and mental health profesionals is that I did not want my son expelled from school. No, home schooling was and is not possible due to many factors . The government runs the schools, or the local govt. at least using Fed dollars, and they will NOT allow kids in school that disrupt the other kids.

It was either medicate my son or institutionalize him and that was not and never will be a choice I will take willingly. Also, realize this: In many locales, a parent that does not follow the advice of the professionals will find themselves on the wrong side of Social Services and have their kids removed legally and placed in a home where they WILL receive the meds and whatever else the doctors recommend. As horrible as that is, it is a fact that every parent of a ' special ' child must face when deciding what to do.

We tried EVERYTHING possible to keep my son off of meds..until it was plain that he was not doing well and had to change. The damned amphetamine based drugs, Adderall, Ritalin, etc. made him stay small and skinny, and when I saw that they were doing no good I stopped them totally, I insisted on it. Well, as soon as they stopped he gained weight and grew several inches and is not almost as big as me, and I am not small!! He takes Depakote at night and Clonidine for sleep, and Risperdal three times a day.

So far, he seems to be doing better and is getting positive reeports from his caregivers. He is in a private facility, thank God, and not some state run institution, and he will be coming home before Christmas I am sure for good. He had to be placed as he was totally belligerant at school, had to be watched 100% of the time..could not be allowed around peers, and he cussed teachers at will. He didn't think that we would take drastic measures but he found out that was not the case, and now he is sorry he pushed the limits as he did, but now he must prove that he can sit still in school and get along with others before he can be allowed to return.

He is really smart and can do the academics easily when not distracted, so he can make something of himself and have a pretty normal life if he takes his condition seriously and follows the program. I intend to take care of him as long as I am alive, if need be; he will never be sent away permanently, I could never live with myself if I did that. We have a plan to develop a family business and include him in on it so he has a job and a way to make money and be independednt to a degree if he wishes to do so.

But do not judge parents too harshly as we are human too; we have other kids to raise also, we have limitations on what we can do, both legally and financially, and we are pretty much at the mercy of the doctors and professionals as far as what to do. If I were to remove all meds from my son, and he degraded and got worse, the state would step in and remove him from me, and that will never happen. Until a student reaches 16 in this state ( NC ) they MUST be in school, or taught privately, and I cannot afford tutors trained for people like him; we live in the mountains in a rural area with little in the way of services.

Parents will do what they feel is the best choice within the parameters of their ability and after that there is not much we can do but love and support our kids and pray that we are doing all we can for their best interests. We make mistakes, we are only human, but I know that I did all I could under the circumstances and followed the best advice available. No kid can know the tears that we shed and the terrible guilt we feel for making decisions that impact our beloved kids lives that may not be the right thing...but unless we have alternatives that are better than what we are doing, we are doing all we can.

Remember, in the old days, kids who were ' different ' were shuffled off to mental hospitals or to work farms and hidden from society, considered failures and useless. Now, we recognize the causes of these diseases and try to do what we can to manage the symptoms, often making errors along the way. But better this way, with the kids having a chance, than to be labeled a loss and hidden from the world. My most fervent prayer is that someday my son will be off all meds and able to live a happy and fruitful life on his own. Until then, I feel I am doing all I know to do.

Parents are caught between a rock and a hard place, and we deserve some slack from the kids who are so sure that we are able to do more or find a magic bullet for the issues that we are facing. I think mOST parents do everything in their powers to look out for their kids, and we always feel terrible when things do not go right..believe me.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Alright, I admit it...I was too hard on MH. I'm sorry.

Nevertheless, posting something as fact that is instead speculation (i.e. medication ruined my life, the NWO is behind diagnoses of ADD, etc.) is not denying ignorance. If you're going to post speculation, make it clear that it is speculation, and make sure it stays either in skunk works or BTS. If you really, really think your posts are factual, you had better bring a mountain of evidence that rules out all other potential explanations. But you're probably not going to want to do that in your case because most evidence that you'd need to post would have to be highly personal information, such as, how exactly medication ruined your life (I'm still skeptical that it did). And I don't think you want your life being examined under a microscope on ATS.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:47 PM
link   
reply to post by uberarcanist

You have freedom of speech, but not on ATS. ATS is a board directed by rules, that, and ATS expects civility and decorum with all of its members. I am a member too, and you have to show civility to me as well.

Additionally, on the subject... you know what I think? I think i was too drugged down before that I couldn't think. The ritalin put me in a manic depression and I became really reckless because of it, so they put me on even more drugs. Whether or not it was my fault was completely a silly question to ask, because it wasn't my fault since I had an ear infection since I was 3 to the age of 13, so I couldn't really hear what people were saying. However, I had nobody to talk to during the time I was on medicine, and no one talked to me because I had no social interaction.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:48 PM
link   

Are you saying that what I said I thought was factual to everyone? Read inbetween the lines of what I said. I was talking about something from my personal experience. I wasn't responding to this topic, not because I felt I lost or that you were going too hard on me. These are my experiences from having taken medecine, and that alone. Have you ever taken ritalin/abilify? I think not. So aren't you a hypocrite by judging someone that has been through something that you haven't before?

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by eyewitness86

I wish that this poster that posted, trivializing what I said, would stop. I am not a "different" kid. I was misdiagnosed for asbergers, autism, and ADHD, a psychotic disorder, and for a cognitive disorder. That's why I am saying that I had horrible experiences on medicine. I think medicine does wonders for people that actually have the disorder, but that's not what I was saying, but that I was forced into this without my consent. Even when I wasn't crazy, the medicine made me so.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by undo

I'm not a patient with a disability. I am someone trying to get out of an ongoing cycle where I am entrapped by my parents to talk to a psychiatrist rather than a psychologist to help me with my problems.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 04:52 PM
link   

Who said my feelings got hurt? I am sorry that I didn't have time to reply to the topic before

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 09:21 PM
link   
Yes, I've been on all sorts of psychotropic medications, including just about everything that's ever been invented for ADD, Ritalin included. I do not think they have very pronounced side effects, especially when you factor out the psychosomatic reactions that some people who are philosophically opposed to drugtaking have.

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   

Yes, I've been on all sorts of psychotropic medications, including just about everything that's ever been invented for ADD, Ritalin included. I do not think they have very pronounced side effects, especially when you factor out the psychosomatic reactions that some people who are philosophically opposed to drugtaking have.

Some people can eat tomatoes, some people can't.
You are self-encased, an individual, and although you may be
connected to the rest of the human race in spiritual ways,
you are still one person, with your own unique genetic code,
life experiences, immune system, hormones, and histamines.

In short, what's good for the goose, may not always be good for
the gander. And of course, vice-a-versa.

There's no one size fits all, medicine. There's only approximations with
variation.

Your experience may or may not resemble someone else's.

Hrm, what other philosophical points can I make..

[edit on 5-9-2007 by undo]

posted on Sep, 5 2007 @ 11:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Maverickhunter

PLEASE CONSIDER

ordering from Amazon:

A MORE EXCELLENT WAY by Henry W Wright.

He has correlated many . . . root causes of many cancers as well as emotional/psychodynamic problems and come up with very viable solutions that do not involve drugs.

There is a philosophical/belief "catch" . . . for those already not in that ball park.

But . . . a sane, healthy, constructive life vs death or a kind of zombied out living death is no fun.

So, it might be worth considering what the good man has to say.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:03 AM
link   
And furthermore, posting personal anecdotes in support of a personal theory (i.e. medication can ruin lives), without a large amount of evidentiary support, *is* speculation and should be clearly and unequivocally labeled as such, regardless of what MH or anyone else says.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 03:55 PM
link   

You're just saying that because you don't feel the same way I do so you want to disagree with me. Also, I am right in saying this, because I was misdiagnosed with medicine and it has been hurting my life, so that's my problem. It's not a personal theory, it is a description of the accounts of problems that I have been through because of the medicine. Or, are you too blind to see that I am talking about a personal recollection, or a story, and that I am not talking about a theory of mine?

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Freedom of speech, I'll post as I please.

Unless the owners of ATS don't want you to.

[edit on 6-9-2007 by Johnmike]

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I thought I had ADHD before because I can't ever make myself sit down and read. But turns out it's just because i dont want to! I took a drug called 'adderal' for about 6 months and it really #ed me up. It's almost a year later and I am still recovering and I have pretty much lost my humor and feel like I am kind of a creep. Drugs suck!

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   

reply to post by Maverickhunter

Freedom of speech, I'll post as I please. Have you ever considered the possibility that the major woes in your life *are not* the result of drugs or meddling by "the man" but rather by your blaming of external forces for problems completely within your control to correct?

totally agreed.

people bash these drugs a lot and some of it is deserved but these drugs help a lot of people. a lot of people that have issues with them do nto take them properly.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join