It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sweden 'regrets' Prophet cartoon

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   

Sweden 'regrets' Prophet cartoon

news.bbc.co.uk

Sweden's embassy in Pakistan has expressed regret over the publication of a cartoon depicting the Prophet Muhammad in a Swedish newspaper.

Pakistan had complained about the cartoon, which depicted the head of the Prophet on the body of a dog.

Sweden's government said it regretted any hurt but could not apologise as it was not responsible for the drawing and could not prevent its publication.

Other cartoons depicting the Prophet sparked worldwide protests last year.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
english.aljazeera.net

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
Denmark On Muhammeds Naughty List

[edit on 1-9-2007 by khunmoon]

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 07:08 AM
link   
It's happening again, like it happened before and will happen in the future. Someone has depicted the prophet. This time in Sweden.

As it is THE (one and only) Prophet we're talking about, it is a serious matter.

To depict him as a dog might be within the limits of freedom of expression, but to me it is bad taste.

Fact is Mohammed has been depicted widely (mostly im a decent way) through history despite the ban of not depicting him. Only the polarisation of the times in combination with the mass media of the global village makes it an issue.

Hopefully this won't turn out as bad as the Danish row did.

news.bbc.co.uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Sep, 1 2007 @ 08:31 AM
link   
I really dont understand the big deal.
What would happen if someone did the same thing with the christian god? Not much I would think.

Some people (guess who) just take their religion way too serious.

[edit on 1-9-2007 by darksky]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 02:45 AM
link   
Sweden acts to cool cartoon row

Last month some 200 Muslim protesters demanded an apology
Sweden's Prime Minister, Fredrik Reinfeldt, has met ambassadors from 22 Muslim countries in an effort to defuse a row about a Prophet Muhammad cartoon.

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Wish the Danish government had acted just as wisely.

The publication of the Swedish cartoons is now 3 weeks ago and ot hasn't exploded in the violence and demonstrations that came out of the Danish row.

Why? Because the Swedes handle it without being so stubborn and refuse meeting the ambassadors. Like the Danes did.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   
halal-pig.blogspot.com...

www.vilks.net...

I found a couple of the cartoons that I think are the ones being talked about. All news stories I have seen talk about one cartoon. Maybe one was in the paper and the other wasnt? I am not sure. I add these so people can see what the uproar is all about.

To add a little to the conversation...Remember the uproar caused by the movie "Dogma" and the anger sparked by "Buddy Jesus" and the potrayal of Serendipity as a stripper? Oh how easily we forget. lmao.

[edit on 8/9/07 by Pfeil]

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:30 AM
link   
Thanks for contributing links, Pfeil.

Haven't been able to find them myself.

Yes it's incredible what a drawing. And these look real amateurish.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon
Because the Swedes handle it without being so stubborn and refuse meeting the ambassadors. Like the Danes did.

You could look at it that way... or you could say good on the Danes for defending their free speech and not succumbing to religious people's 'demands' like the rest of us.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by khunmoon

And these look real amateurish.

It doesn't matter. Most (if not all) of those who protests, haven't even seen the drawings. They've only been told that they're bad, by their spiritual leader. At least that's what happened with the danish cartoons. Massive protests over some drawings that were not even real. Like the now famous "pig snout" picture. Not even published by Jyllandsposten, and not even a drawing. But muslims were told a lot of lies. I'm not surprised if they made someone believe that the danish primeminister himself made that "pig snout" drawing, and planned on making a new version of the Koran with the "pig snout" picture as the front cover...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 03:53 AM
link   
It will be interesting to see how this one turns out. So far I don't think any of the cartoon have been all that amusing to look at. If any one finds any more please to post them. If some people want to start a big protest or a riot over a cartoon it might as well be for a good cartoon.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by RedGolem

If any one finds any more please to post them.

The swedish ones have been posted here. In that thread, you'll also find the danish ones. The real ones and also those who were faked by the imams.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 04:19 AM
link   
The cartoons are as tasteless as the many caricatures of western leaders produced by islamists and used to belittle the west.

It has been done for many years, I remember the portrayal of the Japanese in WW II, among others, it is stereotyping and while some may get a laugh, it is mostly produced to mock and belittle the enemy, dehumanize them, and for the most part it works, those who seek an easy out will easily identify with this type of propaganda and reinforce their own hatred of others.

It has been and will continue to be a useful tool in times of conflict.

To think that Muslims should be exempt from this practice is foolish.

If they are so sensitive to such propaganda, they should be equally upset that those of their faith would produce the same type of propaganda to denegrate those whose ideals conflict with their own.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 05:54 AM
link   
reply to post by malganis

It costs nothing to give in to the ignnorant you can't educate anyway. It's called diplomacy.

If you read the article you'll find this statement from the Swedish PM.

Mr Reinfeldt said he told the ambassadors that under the Swedish constitution, politicians were not allowed to "interfere with how the media [works] and what it chooses to publish".

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

If Denmark had bended over a little, a lot of propety damage could have been avoided and lives would have been spared. IMO.

Thanks for posting you link, Hellmutt. Didn't know you had covered it.

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 09:17 AM
link   
I hope other countries follow the Swedish lead and print many, many cartoons of their false prophet.

We have to just get over trying to group hug these people of Islamic faith into anything but what they are. People who just want to kill others of different faith, even within there own cult.

I would like to see these people rioting in the streets and killing themselves over this disgrace of Allah.

Folks, these people have declared war on Western culture and modern society. I'm not some angry American still fuming over 9/11, but a realists that does believe that something has to be done, AND not just in Iraq. I won't say what really needs to be done as it would "offend" many people who still think that a smile wins over the crowd.

Sweden, the home of the real free press...

posted on Sep, 8 2007 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by hinky
I would like to see these people rioting in the streets and killing themselves over this disgrace of Allah.

How humane of you. :shk:

You know what's the difference between the mentality of people like you and those who riot in the streets over this? Nothing.

new topics

top topics

join