It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Teamsters to try to block Mexican trucks

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   

Teamsters to try to block Mexican trucks

www.prisonplanet.com

JESSE J. HOLLAND
AP
Thursday Aug 30, 2007

The Teamsters Union said Wednesday it will ask a federal appeals court to block the Bush administration's plan to allow Mexican trucks to carry cargo anywhere in the United States.

The union said it has been told by officials in the Transportation Department's Federal Motor Carrier Safety Administration that the first Mexican trucks will be coming across the border on Saturday.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30/8/2007 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:25 PM
link   
It should be interesting to see a minor ELite group like the Teamsters, fighting against the NAU / Free Trade group with laws already passed.
I suppose this could be a staged fight just to appease the American Labor Union representatives, as well as the American people.

Typical "Mind Control" systems use a type of "Tag Team Wrestling" TV and media approach, to confuse and mesmerize the public. It appears this could be a false fight, or perhaps a real challenge? Will the agenda go through while everyone just talks about it?

It seems, this is just a small piece of the whole picture forming and pressurizing this Summer. I will tell you, It has been quite an amazing ride courtesy of ATS. Thank you all so much for your knowledge, and input.

www.prisonplanet.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 30-8-2007 by dntwastetime]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 04:34 PM
link   
I don't really understand this. Do Mexican truckers just drive everything to the border and load it on to an American truck and they take it the rest of the way? What about American truckers driving across Mexico, is that allowed.

edit:
maybe if i read the article, I would i would have noticed they said it was a safety issue, something about they don't think Mexican big rigs are safe. Figured they would be inspected at the border anyway.

[edit on 30-8-2007 by ThaDewd]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:05 PM
link   
I have one question here:
Where were the Teamsters in April '07 during the National Truckers[/b[ strike??? I'm sure their voice then would have had an impacat on that Strike.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:11 PM
link   
I think Americans need to have a showdown on the border and stop this crap.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sky watcher
I think Americans need to have a showdown on the border and stop this crap.

Stop what crap? This is capitalism at its finest. Increase profit margins by decreasing cost of labor and shipping and you are an instant millionaire. Our whole economic system depends on things like this to occur everyday.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:24 PM
link   
reply to post by ThaDewd

American trucks take the load to a freight forwarding company, usually in Texas, where a Mexican truck comes over the border, is inspected by the DOT (and usually found to be in horrid condition and a major safety hazard), and picks up the load. The forwarding company is usually just a few miles from the border. Most of them in Texas are in Laredo. When it comes out of Mexico the mexican truck brings it to a drop yard somewhere, either the Laredo, or El Paso area where they drop the trailer off, and it's picked up by a US truck and taken to the destination.

The scary thing is when you finally get the trailer, there's an inspection report attached about the tractor and trailer. Usually the tractor is a giant leak. The last one I picked up the tractor had all but one axle leaking, four brake lines leaking air, three tires had tread depth too low to be considered safe if it was on a US truck, and MANY other DOT safety violations. But since they don't fall under DOT regulations, they're allowed to keep driving in the US.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:31 PM
link   
The truckers should just park their rigs on all the roads leading from the border.

Also, these trucks are not inspected by Customs until AFTER they are already in the US so anyone wanting to smuggle something in they can easily do so. Thanks alot Bush! I can only guess and what is going to come across that border now.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:34 PM
link   
They can't. It's actually considered treason for there to be a nationwide truckers strike. Trucks deliver vital military supplies as well as vital supplies across the country. Individual companies can strike as far as I know, but it's illegal for there to be a nationwide truckers strike. They'd just arrest all the drivers involved.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Hmmm....this could turn out to be an interesting weekend with this strike...I hope they are successful.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:17 AM
link   
What on earth is wrong with you people?!

Your making a huge deal out of something so incredibly benign. It sickens me how xenophobic you people are.

This is precisely one of the reasons people hate the US its because we're so xenophobic.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:24 AM
link   
So you think letting trucks that AREN'T under DOT regulations, or up to their standards on the roads is a GOOD thing? Interesting logic there.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:32 AM
link   
I dont think its xenophobia.

I think its about fair play - fair trade.

U.S. truckers have to operate under strick guidelines for their vehicles and loads. Mexico truckers do not. Thats how they can get the job done cheaper, but much less safely.

Theres a probem with this type of double standard in many things, like the low or non-existant import duties for Chinese goods. Whats the problem with that? The Chinese government uses slave labor to make products, and send them to the U.S. without import fees.

The U.S. mfg cannot create these goods for this same price as State owned business because of all the regulations that U.S. business is requred to follow, OSHA for example, while the State run businesses are not.

Laws have been created to literally force jobs out of the U.S. to the detriment of the U.S. workers.

Thats the deal.

Can anyone remember the movie Convoy? Perhaps another one of those will be coming soon, since a nation-wide strike is illegal.

[edit on 8/31/07 by makeitso]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 02:33 AM
link   
reply to post by Kacen

It isn’t about that. Nice try at a subtle race card though, and keep up with the word of the day toilet paper.

It is about national sovereignty, American jobs and safety. We don’t mind foreigners so long as they aren’t hurting us. Mexico is actively and purposefully destroying our middle class and standards of living and we are tired of it.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 03:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by cavscout
reply to post by Kacen

It isn’t about that. Nice try at a subtle race card though, and keep up with the word of the day toilet paper.

It is about national sovereignty, American jobs and safety. We don’t mind foreigners so long as they aren’t hurting us. Mexico is actively and purposefully destroying our middle class and standards of living and we are tired of it.

I never pulled a race card. I said xenophobic. Xenophobia refers to people from an outside source, such as another country. I never said you people are racist, I most certainly think you are not.

However I was specifically addressing the North American Union paranoia accusations.

[edit on 8/31/2007 by Kacen]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Zaphod58
So you think letting trucks that AREN'T under DOT regulations, or up to their standards on the roads is a GOOD thing? Interesting logic there.

Why arent they let in and the police can impound the ones which are unsafe. Thats how it works in every other country.

Dont you think the trucks will soon be up to standard after the whole fleet is stopped or is this a case of the South Parkesque

"dey took ar joooobs!!"

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Flyer

Why arent they let in and the police can impound the ones which are unsafe. Thats how it works in every other country.

That brings up a question.

Who will be blamed, charged and sued should one of these trailers/trucks fail and cause a fatal accident?

Would this not fall upon the carrier and the driver of the rig, or are all of the Mexican truckers/trucks & trailers exempt from US law?

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
That brings up a question.

Who will be blamed, charged and sued should one of these trailers/trucks fail and cause a fatal accident?

Would this not fall upon the carrier and the driver of the rig, or are all of the Mexican truckers/trucks & trailers exempt from US law?

I dont know American law but I would imagine like it is everywhere else. Both would be in violation of US law and both would be bought to justice under US law.

It would be exactly the same with inspections, they either fail at the border and are turned back or are charged with traffic offences if they are already in the country.

Mexican truckers would soon bring up their equipment to US standards.

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:20 AM
link   
reply to post by Flyer

If this were the case, I wouldn't be alarmed but in Zaphod58's post:

The last one I picked up the tractor had all but one axle leaking, four brake lines leaking air, three tires had tread depth too low to be considered safe if it was on a US truck, and MANY other DOT safety violations. But since they don't fall under DOT regulations, they're allowed to keep driving in the US.

The member clearly states that the trailers coming from Mexico are already being used in the US, moved by US drivers.

I would hope that the US drivers and companies aren't being held responsible for any accidents caused by this faulty equipment.

In the capitalist's mind, the freight, is what is important, nothing else matters.

I feel for the truckers, looks like they are caught in a trap with no way out.

Remember when Reagan busted the ATC's back in the 80's (I believe), it wouldn't surprise me if this sort of thing happens to the truckers should they attempt to slow the movement of goods.

After all it does appear it's all about the freight.

Oops: Zaphod clearly stated tractor not trailer .....
I misread his post, I should have waited until I had my cup of coffee.

Edit: Admission of ignorance

[edit on 2007/8/31 by JacKatMtn]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by JacKatMtn
I would hope that the US drivers and companies aren't being held responsible for any accidents caused by this faulty equipment.

All they have to do is refuse to tow anything they think is unsafe, especially if it is something obvious.

It would be the same if the trailer was from the US.

It happens all the time here with dozens of countries (including eastern europe which never used to be known for its safety) and the system works, are the authorities too stupid to get it to work with just 2 countries?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join