It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

If the Market Crashes in September

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:38 PM
link   
There are numerous threads on this subject and several other pages with information on it (use google). Assuming this will happen I am wondering a few things, specifically what precautions should be taken?

Should I cash out my bank account? Should my stocks be sold? Should I go buy a cache of food and water now?

Also, what will this country and the world be like after such an event? Will schools still be open, will there be rioting and looting, will cash be useful, will there be a war?

I'm just wanting to know what can be expected if there is a crash; specifically what I should do now and what I can expect.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:43 PM
link   
Well from what I have read, I suggest you sell some stocks and buy some
silver and gold. That would be the best currency to use during a market crash.
Water and food is always good to have, even if there is not emergency. Store
water enough to last you a couple of months, and enough food to last you a while. This is harder if you have a big family, but you just have to decide what
is important.
Well that is my 2 cents, I hope it helped.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:56 PM
link   
Situation X: Runaway Deflation

found that thread last night perousing the survival forum. Might prove to be very helpful in case of a crash or rapid destabilization of the economy/stock market.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
Situation X: Runaway Deflation

found that thread last night perousing the survival forum. Might prove to be very helpful in case of a crash or rapid destabilization of the economy/stock market.

Interesting, i had never heard of a deflation before.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:33 PM
link   
This Guy Understands It

The evolving metamorphosis underway in world financial markets is nothing more than the global re-allocation of available cash. The artificial liquidity created by government counterfeiting and accompanying facile lending policies is/was unsustainable, and the collapse of the sub prime mortgage business is merely the first symptom in what will continue to reorder the economic universe. Link

Please visit the link provided for the complete story.

Recommendations to allocate a percentage of available cash to precious metals is good advice in my opinion. So is liquidating vulnerable paper assets. This missive by James West does a good job of explaining why this is a sound strategy, and exactly what brought us to the point where even non-investors will soon be spending time & money down at the coin shop.

There are a lot of extreme opinions flying around now...sometimes-I-gets-a-little-freaky-myself...but I don't expect the world to end over a 20-30% correction in the stock market. What I see coming is a severe economic slowdown. The result could mean a major, generational lifestyle adjustment...for most of us. The good news? Along with re-adjusting our lifestyles, comes the opportunity to re-adjust our values.

I think maintaining balance...whatever happens, may be my most valuable strategic tool. Cutting-back on extras, saving (remember that one?) paying-down debt (what?) ...just the sensible stuff that many of us never learned, unlearned, or forgot about. Oh yeah, some extra time with the family is a good one too...and it's free & healthy!

Good to be a big-picture kinda person right now.

[edit on 30-8-2007 by OBE1]

posted on Aug, 31 2007 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I would doubt there will be a crash, a correction is more likely...I'd say at least 10-15% would put the market where it actually should be. It doesn't hurt to sell off some stocks that will be hit hard, i.e. the stocks that aren't big stable companies. Anyways, off to school for me, shall we continue this later? My other threads and posts talk of a correction of 10-15%, theres more info there.

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Think Barter.

Have stuff on hand you can Barter to your neighbors for what they've got and don't necessarily need that much.

So keep your extra, seemingly pointless medicine prescriptions, especially antibiotics, always fill an antiobiotic prescription even if you arent going to take them!!! Valuable in a pinch, save lives too.

You could theoreticly barter medicine you dont need for medicine you do need.

Onto vices. Keep alot of cigarettes, people will trade like crazy for these. I saw this when a Hurricane knocked my area out for about a week. People were paying $10 for a pack of smokes since they couldnt get em at any stores. your boy runetang was sitting on a couple cartons. And yes he profited.

Keep Liquor alcohols. There are many closet alcoholics in our society who will go NUTS as soon as the booze dries up, or access does. Then they'll start withdrawling .. and things will get messy, potential for stroke/seizure or death as well in some cases. Theyll pay anything for this stuff..

If its looking to be a long term issue, think of something you can create in the home that your neighbors and the people would need. Now make alot of them and trade/sell for what you need.

Grow your own herbs. If you smoke (tobacco/herb), keep a stockpile of seeds. If you use any other medicinal plants, keep a stockpile of seeds. If something Catastrophic happens to this country, you'll find me out in the Appalachian Mts of Virginia living Taliban style with a Poppy & Cannabis fields in my "backyard". These will barter EXCELLENT.. one is Morphine base (Poppy), the other .. a national past-time.

posted on Sep, 7 2007 @ 12:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by runetang
Think Barter.

Have stuff on hand you can Barter to your neighbors for what they've got and don't necessarily need that much.

So keep your extra, seemingly pointless medicine prescriptions, especially antibiotics, always fill an antiobiotic prescription even if you arent going to take them!!! Valuable in a pinch, save lives too.

You could theoreticly barter medicine you dont need for medicine you do need.

Onto vices. Keep alot of cigarettes, people will trade like crazy for these. I saw this when a Hurricane knocked my area out for about a week. People were paying $10 for a pack of smokes since they couldnt get em at any stores. your boy runetang was sitting on a couple cartons. And yes he profited.

Keep Liquor alcohols. There are many closet alcoholics in our society who will go NUTS as soon as the booze dries up, or access does. Then they'll start withdrawling .. and things will get messy, potential for stroke/seizure or death as well in some cases. Theyll pay anything for this stuff..

If its looking to be a long term issue, think of something you can create in the home that your neighbors and the people would need. Now make alot of them and trade/sell for what you need.

Grow your own herbs. If you smoke (tobacco/herb), keep a stockpile of seeds. If you use any other medicinal plants, keep a stockpile of seeds. If something Catastrophic happens to this country, you'll find me out in the Appalachian Mts of Virginia living Taliban style with a Poppy & Cannabis fields in my "backyard". These will barter EXCELLENT.. one is Morphine base (Poppy), the other .. a national past-time.

Nice job on the smokes investment. I was thinking about this too but i was in line behind some lady in a store and she bought some marlboro reds for 60 dollars a carton! Thats insane.

I'll post it here but I want to find this thread I saw on gold and relay it there too, but.....If i bought a bar or a few of some gold .999 with reputable markings on it (like johnson matthey) would banks just take that from me and give me cash later? Like, who actually buys gold aside from ebay and similar websites?

I already got out of my stocks and am thinking about getting into a standard and poor index put option (betting the market will drop). I hate to say the word "feel" in regards to economics but I feel like the market is gonna have a heart attack soon.

new topics

top topics

join