It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

ATS Hype Epidemic

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 04:29 PM
link   
Sup yall.

I just wanted to point something out that I think is important for all of us to realize and discuss.

Here lately, we have seen lots of "prediction threads" get 10+ pages, breaking news threads get over interpreted, and in general, everybody seems on edge and ready to jump on any bandwagon with an extra seat. Why are we so susceptible to hype lately?

Although this kind of activity always exists to some degree in a group of people, it seems to have escalated in recent weeks. This is uncharacteristic for ATS, as our membership tends to pride itself on its abilities to rationally dissect any subject matter that gets tossed into our machine. But in recent weeks, hype has ruled our general psychology and has resulted in spam and bickering.

So what gives guys? What's up with us lately? Why are we so ready to jump on anything that moves? Why are we allowing ourselves to be inebriated with hype? Maybe a little bit of self reflection is in order.

I just wanted to wave the flag and make sure everyone is aware of this. Maybe someone else could put this into better words than I can. Or maybe I am the only one that feels this way?

Let's talk this one out.

[color=#80c0e0]MODS: I wasn't sure where to put this thread. Please re-locate as necessary.

[color=#80c0e0]EDIT: 43 views and 2 applauses within 30 minutes. Now if we can just get someone to reply...

[edit on 8/29/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Have you noticed this "epidemic" coming from NEW members or ESTABLISHED members?

I have been searching through some threads here and it looks like the site has recently purchased ad time on a major radio show + banner ads on sites + taking part in UFO conferences can all add up to ALOT of new members, and with new members can come a new feeling to a site.

Just my thoughts pouring out again.

I.M.DORIAN

[edit on 29-8-2007 by Dorian Soran]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:24 PM
link   
I think people find predictions very intriguing. I do. I think it's an area where you can speculate and watch to see if the speculation had merit.

And I disagree that it is uncharacteristic of ATS. I don't see why you are calling predictions or warnings based on circumstantial evidence "hype". It's not hype. It's sharing either a premonition or it's sharing an interpretation of data.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
I don't see why you are calling predictions or warnings based on circumstantial evidence "hype". It's not hype. It's sharing either a premonition or it's sharing an interpretation of data.

Good call ValHall. I agree 100% with you. When you call something HYPE on a grand scale, it appears ( to me anyway ) you may have a bit of an agenda such as anti-prediction, religious objections to it, or you don't agree with said predictions.

I just got here so I do not know much more than that. I am a rookie just called up from AAA so I may strike out a few times...we'll see!

I.M.DORIAN

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Dorian...

How did you hear about ATS?

Was it from the C2C show or some other advertising?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Dorian Soran

Dorian, I can see your point but as I walk among you I wonder if a social takeover will occur and we'll be one man short come 12 12 2012. I hope it's not Mr Beezer as he has a Midwest agenda.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:41 PM
link   

I think you have an agenda, and I'm sure you'll call out my manhood just remember, I'm a monkey from the midwest and if you care to walk in my shoes you better go to WalMart. Don't think that I'm not being social, it's just one man (or monkey) making a point... Perhaps by 2012 things will have cleared up... Don't you think Mr?

Beezer Monkeys, not just for being amongu anymore...

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   
A lady at my workplace and I have been discussing this site for some time now. I have looked around for a while and finally joined.

I heard the mp3 for the ad on C2C. It sounded good.

I.M.DORIAN

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid

Dorian, I can see your point but as I walk among you I wonder if a social takeover will occur and we'll be one man short come 12 12 2012. I hope it's not Mr Beezer as he has a Midwest agenda.

Um,ok.

I don't know if there will be a social takeover or not in 2012. If you are one man short you could probably advertise on Coast to Coast. What is Mr.beezer and I am transplanted in the midwest, but what does a midwest agenda mean?

I.M.DORIAN

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 06:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Mirthful Me

I think you have an agenda, and I'm sure you'll call out my manhood just remember, I'm a monkey from the midwest and if you care to walk in my shoes you better go to WalMart. Don't think that I'm not being social, it's just one man (or monkey) making a point... Perhaps by 2012 things will have cleared up... Don't you think Mr?

Beezer Monkeys, not just for being amongu anymore...

ok.
I really don't have an agenda, at least I don't think I do. Why would I call on your man hood? I am in the midwest as well, but I am not a monkey, at least I don't think I am. Does being monkey have special meaning on this board? Yes, I shop at Wal-Mart once in a while, why? What is with all the references to 2012 or Mr.beezer??

Thanks, I think.

I.M.DORIAN

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:07 PM
link   
how do you guys view the idea of a mass or collective consciousness?? Its an idea i've given a lot of thought and I think there could be something to it.

Assuming something like this does indeed exist would it not therefore be plausible that some kind of sub-consciousness mass anxiety, for whatever reason could be responsible for the apparently inexplicable tendancy for people to currently be prone to 'jumping on bandwagons' as they/we struggle to find a reason for it?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:15 PM
link   
You should have been around for Serpo and Titor, plus a few other topics.
That was hyped like you wouldn't believe.

I'd say more, but I got confused part way down the page.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:17 PM
link   
reply to post by Chonx

Originally posted by Chonx
how do you guys view the idea of a mass or collective consciousness?? Its an idea i've given a lot of thought and I think there could be something to it.

You mean like the Princeton EGGS?

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 07:48 PM
link   
MAYDAY MAYDAY. WE ARE BEING DERAILED. REPEAT. WE ARE BEING DERAILED. PLEASE SEND A RECOVERY UNIT. OVER.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by damajikninja
MAYDAY MAYDAY. WE ARE BEING DERAILED. REPEAT. WE ARE BEING DERAILED. PLEASE SEND A RECOVERY UNIT. OVER.

OK, to put this thread back on the tracks, I'll toss in my two cents on what you describe as ATS hype.

I suppose that there is a certain sense of hype going on here at ATS but I like to think of it as excitement. I'm genuinely excited at the way ATS has grown. ATS seems to be evolving into a genuine "destination" on the internet.

Some people have set patterns in their internet surfing. You know, they start off with a news site like CNN, they play a few on line games, check out E-bay for some deals and then, people typically "surf". But over the last few years, this pattern has changed....at least for me it has.

ATS has become my "one" site that I typically visit because, for me, it's all here! From News, opinions, alternative topics and, yes, even to games, my time spent on ATS has evolved into truly expanding my thinking through intelligent reading and discussion of views.
ATS has made me think in a different way. I now question what I read. I try to find motives behind the scenes. I don't think that there is a conspiracy around every corner but what I have come to realize is that there is another side to every story and that's what I find at ATS.

So call it ATS hype.....I still call it "being excited" at finding a site that genuinely makes me think and to Deny Ignorance.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:23 AM
link   
reply to post by benevolent tyrant

Maybe I should clarify this a little better. I am just just like you in that ATS is my one-stop-shop on the internet. I am just as excited about ATS as you, and I hope that excitement continues to be contagious around the boards.

What I am talking about is how "trigger happy" we are. Um, ... this is difficult to describe ... Jeez, I wish someone else that knows what I'm talking about could explain this. Like we have run pages upon pages on prediction threads... not that making a prediction is bad (if it is backed up by some sort of rationale) it's just that we've had a bunch of them, none turn out to be true, and we still run the threads over ten pages.

It's like we're all waiting on some huge thread to come through, and we all want to be on the bandwagon when/if it becomes an ATS classic. i dunno. I need to figure out how to describe this better.

I am not bashing up on predictions, again let me say that. It just works as a good example here. And I'm doing a poor job of expressing what I'm thinking. Maybe I'm just crazy.

[edit on 8/30/2007 by damajikninja]

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:27 AM
link   
Being rather new I might not provide the best insight, but I do know what you mean, damajikninja. I've been reading all these posts about how all these ATS'ers are all up in arms about an "impending event"...it spreads like wildfire, considering many of the posts are very convincing. In my case, the initial excitement of finally finding a very interesting/nifty forum/news site, mingled with all these forecasts of "false flags" and impending doom from our own gov't. After awhile I started reading more, and calming more, adding objectivity to my observations this time...I'm not as panic-ed about it, I am still very excited to be a part of this diverse community though!

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chiiru
Being rather new I might not provide the best insight, but I do know what you mean, damajikninja.

Welcome to AboveTopSecret.com!! Your insight is always appreciated! I'm glad you kind-of get what I'm trying to put across.

I've been reading all these posts about how all these ATS'ers are all up in arms about an "impending event"...it spreads like wildfire, considering many of the posts are very convincing.

Yes this is part of what I mean... the hype and knee-jerk reactions to completely speculative ideas and/or claims. It does spread quite quickly, which is evidence of "band wagoning" and "hype" in my opinion. Maybe I am misusing the word "hype" to describe this.

In my case, the initial excitement of finally finding a very interesting/nifty forum/news site, mingled with all these forecasts of "false flags" and impending doom from our own gov't.

Stumbling upon AboveTopSecret.com for the first time truly is a magical experience, don't you agree?

After awhile I started reading more, and calming more, adding objectivity to my observations this time...I'm not as panic-ed about it.

Yeah, after reading and interacting for a while, you learn not to be so gullible and not to freak out everytime something comes across the wire.

I am still very excited to be a part of this diverse community though!

Cheers to you! Glad you share my excitement about ATS! Enjoy your stay, and may it be a long one!

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by benevolent tyrant
ATS has become my "one" site that I typically visit because, for me, it's all here! ...my time spent on ATS has evolved into truly expanding my thinking through intelligent reading and discussion of views.... what I have come to realize is that there is another side to every story and that's what I find at ATS.

So call it ATS hype.....I still call it "being excited" at finding a site that genuinely makes me think and to Deny Ignorance.

Absolutely - I am 100% with this. I will get to work in the morning and log into ATS. THAT'S my first stop. Then Gmail, those 2 tabs remain open ALL day. I think old timers (hey if i have been here a year does that count? hehehe) know what to respond to and what not to respond to. Yes, sometimes we get trigger happy but that is not very often.

What needs to happen is we need to learn from mistakes we make when adding comment and this site helps us to learn from interacting with like and unlike thinkers combined. It is a learning curve and this site is of a standard that demands the correct decorum. When you start at a new company the way you acted in the old company may not be supported. Eventually one learns the ropes and rules on how to conduct oneself (there ARE threads from Mods and owners) and these should be followed. That does not mean you cannot think for yourself but it DOES lay the foundation for quality rather than quantity.

This isn't about collecting as many points as you can in the shortest space of time by being irrelevant. I have seen, and this is no knock to n00bs - i was one once, come and go, BUT you will find those that USUALLY
follow the rules last and become adversaries/friends of the highest quality. We can learn a lot from each other if we become part of, and have pride in, this site and not simply perform as a number. This IS a family. The owners AND Mods interact on a human and humane level. It becomes likened to walking into a pub, sitting down and having a drink with a few pals while debating ALL sorts of topics.

Anyone will be, and remain, an outsider if the simplicities are not followed and the only reason for joining is to make a mockery of what has become THE best site on the internet. It may be many things to different people but what it should not become is a mud pit.

Jump on the band wagon, I have to say, jump on it, but at least make sure you are playing the same tune as the one you would like to join in with. Pointless if the band is playing "Cherry Pink & Apple Blossom White" and you jump on playing "I did it MY Way"

Good post Majik! Did i ramble??

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 08:43 AM
link   
reply to post by damajikninja

I completely agree with your premise. I am new to ATS but in the six weeks or so that I have been lurking and then participating, the tone on ATS has changed. I feel it has gone from being a balance of enthusiasm and skepticism to border-line hysteria and a lot of hype.

I have tried to figure out why this has happened. Is it my perception or is it the reality here on ATS? Is it because the mainstream media has really been pushing all the right buttons lately - with lots of silly celeb stories, study results and bad news - there is the 9/11 anniversary , the saber-rattling by the U.S. and Iran, the economy and Iraq.

Emotions are running very high. Maybe people are overwhelmed by the seriousness of things and the sheer volume of bad and useless news. Maybe they feel a loss of control or a sense of hopelessness so they go mad on their keyboards to try to change something even if it's just one person's mind. They want to impact the world in some small way.

I also feel people are posting silly threads with attention grabbing headlines that don't lend themselves to real debate substantiation. Just look at the top 100 posts in either ATS or BTS and you will get a feel for the silliness.

I have really come to appreciate some of the more experienced ATS members who are quick to put the brakes on sensationalistic threads and posts.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join