It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Greenland Artifact?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:24 PM
link   
Go to google earth and look at Greenland at whats exposed under the
melting snow at
70°30'N 40°W
Its 53 miles long.
What is that?
There also seems to be something of the same color under the ice at
73° 1'N
46°41'W
Is global warming revealing something strange?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Its nothing but a bad 'tile'.
maps.google.com...,-80.002841&z=19&t=k

The maps are made out of countless number of satellite images which are tiled over and besides one another. Sometimes the tiles don't match exactly because the images are taken at different times or whether conditions or with different cameras.
There are many such errors on google earth.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 12:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by rocksolidbrain
Its nothing but a bad 'tile'.
maps.google.com...,-80.002841&z=19&t=k

The maps are made out of countless number of satellite images which are tiled over and besides one another. Sometimes the tiles don't match exactly because the images are taken at different times or whether conditions or with different cameras.
There are many such errors on google earth.

I thought of that, but thats not it. The south edge fads under ice. The straight edge lip I thought was a cut leaves a shadow against the more orange surface which faids out under the grey clouds to the east. and one of the grey clouds crosses over the yellow lip over the white snow. The second one completely under the ice has no edges corresponding to cuts where you would have the collor change.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 10:59 AM
link   
Due to lack of responce I suppose that this is so unbelievable that no one has even looked at google earth for it. You should all at least take a look at it.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:14 AM
link   
Hmm... The first one maybe a bad tile, but like mentioned, it's weird how the edge fades into the surrounding area. The second location looks like maybe a volcano or something warming the top of the mountain/hill. The greens and orange are really interesting.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:28 AM
link   

Here is it. So everyone can take a look immediately.

Honestly, i have no idea of what is it....

[edit on 29/8/2007 by internos]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:06 PM
link   
MAN,its obvious-Its Goldfinger testing out his latest space based sweeping laser on the ice...

Very odd though,sort of looks like that area was taken in a different light condition,maybe a sunrise/set?
The yellow strip and dark line look like graphical artifacts/camera anomoly though.

edit: just looked again,and thought it looked like an entrance in the ice,lit with big orange lights from inside-wow a hanger?Looks lots more interesting all of a sudden.

[edit on 29-8-2007 by Silcone Synapse]

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Here's another question from Greenland.

At
70°55'21.01"N
21°59'14.31"W

Zoom in to an altitude of about 200 feet. The shadow of the mountain looks like almost like a city? I wonder what causes that.

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 12:26 PM
link   
reply to post by WaiteDavid137

Due to lack of responce I suppose that this is so unbelievable that no one has even looked at google earth for it.

Not sure about others, but you're being a bit presumptuous here. The reason that there may be a "lack of response" is that RockSolid is correct: What you are looking at is an aberration of data edge-matching in GIS, not a surface anomaly.

There are many, many such interesting oddities all over the planet rendition as depicted in google earth. You can find "stars", "fireballs", weird lines and figures, even UFOs.

One of the best sites for checking out some of this weird stuff is via Google Earth Hacks lots of UFO, strange surface features, aircraft, etc. Fun stuff.

Another good one is Strange Things in Google Earth Maps. Even more bizarre and a bit more 'edgy'.

One of my faves is Google's own Google Earth Explorations. Cool animations and some very educational visuals.

Finally, might I suggest an easy way to self-debunk such things before concluding in a post that an "artifact" was revealed under the ice by global warming, etc. All you need to do is cross-check with another surface viewing application using different data sets. For example, NASA'a World Wind is very similar to Google Earth, but uses more scientific data sets to overlay and compare surface features. It shows nothing but ice at the location you gave.

Another is Microsoft's Virtual Earth. Not as rich of content, but very easy to use and limited bandwidth issues. Just click "aerial" view after navigating to your location for a nice bird's eye image...

Thanks for the post - and keep looking up! (and down, as the case may be...)

posted on Aug, 29 2007 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Outrageo

Due to lack of responce I suppose that this is so unbelievable that no one has even looked at google earth for it.

Not sure about others, but you're being a bit presumptuous here. The reason that there may be a "lack of response" is that RockSolid is correct: What you are looking at is an aberration of data edge-matching in GIS, not a surface anomaly.

There are many, many such interesting oddities all over the planet rendition as depicted in google earth. You can find "stars", "fireballs", weird lines and figures, even UFOs.

One of the best sites for checking out some of this weird stuff is via Google Earth Hacks lots of UFO, strange surface features, aircraft, etc. Fun stuff.

Another good one is Strange Things in Google Earth Maps. Even more bizarre and a bit more 'edgy'.

One of my faves is Google's own Google Earth Explorations. Cool animations and some very educational visuals.

Finally, might I suggest an easy way to self-debunk such things before concluding in a post that an "artifact" was revealed under the ice by global warming, etc. All you need to do is cross-check with another surface viewing application using different data sets. For example, NASA'a World Wind is very similar to Google Earth, but uses more scientific data sets to overlay and compare surface features. It shows nothing but ice at the location you gave.

Another is Microsoft's Virtual Earth. Not as rich of content, but very easy to use and limited bandwidth issues. Just click "aerial" view after navigating to your location for a nice bird's eye image...

No, I was right, on both accounts. It isn't an overlay. That was easy to prove, and the lack of responces was because few had looked at it. That is also evident because people are responding now that they've seen it.

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 01:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by WaiteDavid137

Originally posted by Outrageo

No, I was right, on both accounts. It isn't an overlay. That was easy to prove, and the lack of responces was because few had looked at it. That is also evident because people are responding now that they've seen it.
A question though, why make the wild assumption that using imagery from organizations like Nasa which are in the habbit of air brushing their photos would debunk anything?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 02:29 AM
link   
does any one else notice that monster face in the picture that the thread is about?

posted on Aug, 30 2007 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by coryblood

No, i don't. Please, could you provide a pic?

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:37 PM
link   

I was actually looking into another post about greenland artifacts when I saw this thing sitting in the middle of the ice. Ya know the one with the 3 black Obelisks from 2001. LOL. Yes image errors.

Some say this huge orange thing is a bad tile. I beg to differ.
If you look closely you can see that the terrain and textures etc. span just fine from one tile to the next.
In fact. In the lower right you can see part of this object spans perfectly from one tile to the next.
So what gives?

Hard to speculate but it does appear as if something has melted from under the ice. There doesn't seem to be any shadow from it, but the sun just might not have been at the right angle for it.
There has been speculation for year about what may or may not be going on up there. We may soon find out.

As mentioned above. I don't trust NASA anymore either. And Microsoft prob didn't even bother with data in that area. Just looks like a white sheet of paper to me on thier map.

But, it could be just an image error. I admit that. But It sure doesn't look like one to me. If someone could point out one that looks similar I might be inclined to agree.

posted on Dec, 1 2007 @ 11:54 PM
link   
near the top of the anomaly you can see what appears to be grey coloured clouds passing over it,this indicates the object is under the cloud,thus not an image overlay.

and near the bottom you can see the same cloud effect that has already passed over the anomaly and in the same area the anomaly seems be shaded brighter.the same holds true for the cloud effect at the top of the anomaly.

what does that mean?

can someone,probably internos figure how large this thing is?

edit- the clouds and the haze in my opinion are artificial and are being used to camouflage the structure.we are seeing the edge of an unclouded section of it,thats why the areas are brighter where the darker clouds are,sunlight is penetrating through the haze

edit2-i believe i know what it is,a cloud generator utilising electro static cloud formation via an electic plate and vapour condensers.

the greenland ice sheet is melting fast,and someones testing out how to stop it.

[edit on 1-12-2007 by welivefortheson]

[edit on 2-12-2007 by welivefortheson]

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:05 AM
link   
Could it be possibly a metallic object (pipeline?) that the sun was shining off of and it hits a cloud when the picture was being taken? That might be one explaination....but welivefortheson, I think you might be right, someone is not wanting us to see something....

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 12:43 AM
link   
I don't know about clouds. They might be, but I personally can't be sure.
To me it looks like some sort of scarring or ice residue/leftover. But it does appear to go right over the edge and continue on the snow/ice up in the top left there. I'm not so good with clouds on these images yet.

Anyway, if you look closely at the dark orange stipe part. All the way on the left end. Zoom in real close. It appears as if this stripe is actually a grove or slot like indentation. You can see the extra line on the edge of the yellow part. It looks to me like a verticle edge here. And if you look at the very end of the "slot" it looks as if the snow is sloping down it.

If you pull out to about 400mi there appears to be 2 large square areas defined in the ice. One just above the orange object to the north, and another area NW of the first area. It looks as if the ground is starting to peek through on the NW corner of this second square.

The orange color of the object in question here does appear to be the same color as the underlying earth around the area.
Is this thing something carved out of the rock? I dunno...

If it is real, and it is there, it is huge alright. What is visible is like 40miles by 7 or so miles. Wow!
So I don't think it's a pileline.

posted on Dec, 2 2007 @ 09:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by welivefortheson
near the top of the anomaly you can see what appears to be grey coloured clouds passing over it,this indicates the object is under the cloud,thus not an image overlay.

You are right.

There seems to be clouds at several point, and the "object" seems to be below them.

posted on Aug, 24 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
actually it appears to be a tablet, the upper right hand corner has some sort of inscription.

posted on Dec, 22 2008 @ 09:42 PM
link   
reply to post by Orion437

i think its just the melting ice showing the surface of the land beneath it.
-alex

top topics

<<   2 >>

join