It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What 5 objects or items would you save?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   
Ok I know there is a thread dealing with books but this is for the wider issue a situation X occurs you have the ability to save 5 objects what would they be. Now this is to deal not so much with survival objects guns, knives etc. But with objects of a personal, cultural or other significance which you wish to preserve for future generations.

Examples might include religious texts, historically significant texts such as the magna carter or US constitution. Objects such as the crown jewels or culturally significant objects such as the clothes worn by famous actors or ground braking records by singers (e.g. Elvis). Further examples might include antiques or blueprints of buildings.

Any thoughts?

posted on Sep, 3 2007 @ 02:12 AM
link   
The books are covered under, "what 5 books would you save." So here's the rest of it:

My slide rule

My sextant

My box with "Old Farmers Almanac (Sourthern Edition)" Editions going back to 1996.

My microscope

Undisclosed Family Artifact from the founder of my line.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 09:19 AM
link   
Hmm this may take a while to narrow down.

1: Hand held GPS unit.

2: PDA with as many E-books as I can cram on it. Knowledge is power

3: small solar panel to charge GPS unit and PDA

4: World dictionary

5: condensed book of mathematics with a matching scientific calculator.

Wow this took a while this was much harder then the 5 books to keep. So how do you all think I did.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by angryamerican

Wow this took a while this was much harder then the 5 books to keep. So how do you all think I did.

Well. probably better than me, as long as "situation x" doesn't disrupt our satelite networks and GPS capability. As long as sit x is not a global EMP caused by a solar flare or something, those artifacts will be quite handy.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:46 AM
link   
I had thought Of EMP for a long time before posting. While I believe that A EMP attack (most likely non nuclear) will happen, I am ready with all my back up electronics off line un-powered and in separate Faraday cages with separate grounds. I also have the batteries weather rechargeable or not in there own separate cages just incase. we never know for sure what will happen in a real EMP scenario. What I picked would give great power in a new world so its worth the risk IMO.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 10:55 AM
link   
reply to post by angryamerican

It's cool that you've planned ahead and have things shielded.

If it were caused by a solar flare, for example, no one really knows whether the satelites that generate the GPS signals are adequately shielded . . . .

In the event of really dire warfare, I bet the US would "turn off" satelites, both communication and GPS satelites, regardless of who owns them.

My sextant and slide rule are part of a global positioning system; but its receiving equipment don't require electricity. Just log tables.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:17 AM
link   
You win this one Doc. your list is much better then mine when looked at in those terms. I was thinking more in terms of terrestrial EMP. I had also not thought of the satellites being purposely shut down or destroyed, althow as a survivalist I should have.

Hmm I'll have to come up with a better less high tech list. Thanks for the reminder Doc

I'll think about it over night

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:22 AM
link   

You win this one Doc.

I'm not so sure. In a snowstorm ( a much more common event) my equipment would be useless. Yours would still save lives.

honestly, I never thought about my sextant for survival until this thread, since I'm landlocked. I just like antique astronomy equipment. They make a plastic sextant that you can order online for less than 30 bucks, and its just as accurate as a beautiful brass sculpture.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 11:34 AM
link   
1: Megnatite for home made compass.

2: flint and steel

3: A Antikythera Mechanism

4: condensed book of mathematics

5: Portable 141-Piece Tool Set

So it didnt take as long as I thought it would. I think this one is better.

posted on Sep, 4 2007 @ 12:12 PM
link   

3: A Antikythera Mechanism

The modern apparatus is called an Orrery. Here's one of my favorites:

20th century Orrery

Here's another, this one built from Legos (!)

Sadly, a google search of "build your own orrery" only turned up one decent hit in 5 pages, the lego project. All the rest are computer programs.

The fools, when they lights go out, they'll really be in the dark!

posted on Sep, 6 2007 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Five things to save:

1. A complete set of machinist's analog precision measuring devices to include jeweler's loups.

2. A gunsmithing tool set. Useful for making and repair lots of other things

3. Ammo reloading equipment

4. Complete surgeons kit. Again useful for many other jobs.

5. A durable multiband radio receiver that will receive shortwave that runs on dc power solar or hand cranked. Try to keep up the news of the world.

new topics

top topics

join