It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is there any cause involving a black person the NAACP WON'T get behind?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 03:25 AM
link   
From the Duke Lacrosse scandal to Michael Vick, the NAACP just seems to be hurting their credibility more and more.

I understand the cause and for the most part agree with the CAUSE. However, it seems that, as of late, they will get behind ANY "black" cause no matter how ridiculous it is.

Okay, with the Duke Lacrosse guys, sure...in the beginning I understood their standpoint. However, when it because PERFECTLY clear that the whole case was B.S. why do they STILL continue to support the trash that filed the lawsuit? Why wouldn't they say, "Hey, you made us look bad by letting us support you...you are own your own now!"

As far as Michael Vick goes, he has NO LEG TO STAND ON WHATSOEVER! He has shown what kind of person he is and has proven his own guilt by agreeing to the plea bargains to avoid more jail time. Yet, they still get behind him and say he should be allowed back in the NFL. WHY? Why should he be allowed the privledge to play a kids game for MILLIONS upon MILLIONS of dollars again? He had his chance and he blew it by being a cruel and STUPID piece of trash. Why would the NAACP disgrace themselves farther by supporting garbage like Vick? What exactly would be accomplished by letting Vick back into the NFL? WHAT? Nothing other than keeping his ignorant a** rich. I say, let him enjoy being poor like he deserves.

The NAACP needs to start picking their battles a bit better. There are plenty of black causes out there that DESERVE the time and attention that they could give. Stop worrying about trash like Michael Vick. Let his a** rot and help those that need help.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 04:14 AM
link   
Because these cases generate money.

Honestly, what kind of reason did you expect? It's not a matter of ideology. It's a matter of cashing in. Same reason Congress suddenly gives a damn about steroid use in the NBL, or why conservation societies use pandas, seal pups, and whales as their logo rather than, say, hunter slugs and paddlefish.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I have this suspicion that it's more about getting noticed than about the money.

Certain members of the group have a crazed desire to be in the public eye. Though, in the long run, I think those people will be the downfall of an organization that has the chance to actually do some good.

Jasn

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by SimiusDei

Occam's Razor - it is more likely that they seek publicity because the NAACP, as a whole, simply likes being in the spotlight like attention whores... or because being in certain spotlights provides monetary benefits for the organization?

And on a similar token... is there a neonazi cause that the Heritage Foundation won't step up to bat for?

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:14 PM
link   
reply to post by The Walking Fox

I don't recall seeing the Heritage Foundation on the news in the last umm ever. However, if they are supporters of white supremacists........I'm quite glad I hear nothing of them. Skinheads, klan members and such disgust me and make me ashamed to share a skin color with them.

This is the reason why I don't understand black people being mad with the NAACP for supporting ppl like hookers and Michael Vick. If I were black, I would HATE the NAACP for the stupid causes they so often back.

Jasn

NAACP and NAAWP, same type of idiots.....different skin color.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 02:44 PM
link   

Well, I hope you will notice that the NAACP isn't defending his criminal action - only stating that it shouldn't cost him his job. To be honest, if the NBA boots Vick over the gambling charges, it would be pretty damn inconsistant, given how many players are convicted of assault, gambling, drug use, solicitation, DUI, etc.

Now I don't agree that Vick should keep his job in the NBA. Being a lover of pit bulls, I would in fact love to see him stay in prison for a good long time. However, it is not my call. The NBA is a private organization, and what they do is up to them. What the NAACP is doing (besides basking in the limelight for cash) is defending a black dude who wants to keep his job. This is what they do, it's their stated goal. Think of 'em as defense lawyers - every so often, a defense lawyer gets a real stinker, but someone still has to give the defense.

I, personally, would prefer the NAACP to speak up on all the other defenses they handle for the civil rights of blacks, rather than parading around a highly publicized one.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
Don't recall them standing behind Clarence Thomas when he was going through his confirmation hearings.

But Clarence Thomas is a conservative, so that might not count.

posted on Aug, 27 2007 @ 06:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Walking Fox

To be honest, if the NBA boots Vick over the gambling charges, it would be pretty damn inconsistant, given how many players are convicted of assault, gambling, drug use, solicitation, DUI, etc.

Vick plays in the NFL, which has just a smidgen more dignity than the NBA.

The NBA is a lost cause and I would rather stick my foot in a bucket of boiling oil than watch those scum buckets in the NBA.

[edit on 2007/8/27 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Aug, 28 2007 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by RRconservative
Don't recall them standing behind Clarence Thomas when he was going through his confirmation hearings.

But Clarence Thomas is a conservative, so that might not count.

The NAACP represents people, not marionettes.

NBA, NFL... Whatever.

top topics

join