It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's important in politics?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Is substance important? Stance? Familyaffiliation?
A lot of people vote as their parents vote, they only see one point of view. I'm liberal, or conservative, because thats what I've heard. Why not vote for the person that MAKES SENSE. Do you vote for someone that the media tells you can't be beaten? Why vote for that person if that person DOESN"T represent you, or could care less. What will you use to decide the next election? This is an important one. Remember, Bush STOLE the last one with the help of family(Jeb).

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:25 PM
link   
Thankfully, I've been blessed with a mixed family. My mom is extreamly liberal, and my dad extreamly conservative. This has helped me to grow up knowing both sides of the issue. Now that I'm all grown up
I know that there are always 2 sides (at least) to every issue, and I look for both of them.

As for the substance I look for in a candidate, I need to agree with them on more issues then the rest of the candidates. And also importaint (which is why Liberman will have my vote) is the character of the individual. I never would have voted for Clinton, even if I agreed with most of his policies. The ends don't justify the means.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:32 PM
link   
That's the only thing in politics...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:33 PM
link   
To me, character in a politician (or being a nice guy) means little. It's all about policies, actions, and results.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Flinx
To me, character in a politician (or being a nice guy) means little. It's all about policies, actions, and results.

Problem with that is they can say one thing, get into office, and do something completely different.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:35 PM
link   
I'm glad to hear from you JJ.. How do you see the current foriegn policy?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by intrepid
I'm glad to hear from you JJ.. How do you see the current foriegn policy?

Dubious. I'm actually kind of disappointed with how we handled France, turning our biggest supporter after 9-11 into someone who wants to see our economy crumble. However, I do think we needed to go to Iraq and correct what Bush Sr. didn't do.

As for Afghanistan, I have mixed feelings. What we did was make an example of Afghanistan. We flexed our wings. In the long term, I think it paid off, in that we showed the world that we will protect our country at all costs. Just sucks that we had to make an example of an entire country to do that.

N. Korea I think we're going about correctly. China has more influence over them then we do, so they can strong arm them better then we.

It's Ashcroft that really worries me...

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 08:00 PM
link   
I'll vote for the one that keeps his hands off my wallet the most!

Domestic policy is something I am not in agreement with because constitutional rights are being seriously eroded and I see no candidates current platform that will restore what we have lost from either party.

So guess that leaves the issue of a strong national defense on the table.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ADVISOR
(Money) That's the only thing in politics...

Its power, money is a means to it.

We didnt do anything to France, Chirac started the BS first.

I 've met Ashcroft, hes a nice guy, you would like him. Hes just following his conscience and orders, He has to follow the patriot act and he was shaken by 9/11. I didnt speak to him long, however, it was nice.

By the way, people who only vote along party lines are as guilty as the conspiraters. Follow your conscience, follow who you are sure that can help.

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by Taxman]

top topics

join