It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Well, Which Is It -- Lucky or Albertson's?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 09:36 PM
link   
I went shopping today at a store I haven't been to in over 15 months. The side of the lake I live on tends to be Safeway and Pac 'N' Save (a subsidiary of Safeway) habitat.

I went in, shopped as usual, remembering where everything I needed was (with a small amount of help from the handy aisle signs) and went to the self-checkout section. I scanned my Albertson's card and the machine locked up. I had to wait for one of the clerks to unjam it from the control console. While I waited, I looked up on the wall, and saw that the store was now called ... Lucky.

Now, wait a minute. When I moved up here in 1986 it was Lucky and Safeway. Safeway had those annoying club member cards to get discounts on food. Lucky's commercials swore up and down that they'd NEVER have those cards in their stores, they'd have the same low prices for everyone, every day.

Then, sometime in the 1990's, near the end I think, Lucky disappeared and overnight the stores were renamed Albertson's. Albertson's made us use one of those stupid club cards. I ended up with a Safeway one and an Albertson's one, both of which I totally resent because it's one more thing to stick in my wallet or dangle from my keychain, and if they can afford to give a lower price to club members then insist everyone join, then just drop the prices for everybody, lose the card system and save the operating costs!

And now the nice new Albertson's they built a block from the other side of the lake is a Lucky again. Was it Lucky's before? Or Lucky? I think it was Lucky, but everyone called it Lucky's. I can't remember. Who cares, anyway?

What I want to know is, when did Albertson's become Lucky again? I must have missed the news story. Or is it just THAT ONE Albertson's and Lucky has come back from the grave and is haunting the store with new signs, new employee uniforms and machines that won't read the club cards?

When did this happen, and why didn't I get the memo?

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:49 PM
link   
August 3rd (it was a Saturday is all I know) and I didnt know either til I tried to hand her my Albertsons card and the checker was all snarky about it. " It's Lucky's now, we don't take the cards. Everyone gets the sale price". Well excuuuuuuuse moi. Like I keep up on this crap:bash:

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Well out here where I am in Las Vegas Albertsons bought out Lucky's and and Raley's a few years back. Eventually they sold the Raley's stores to Food 4 Less and some of the Lucky's stores were sold to Smith's. Maybe they are bringing Lucky's back now or have split some of the company. Albertsons are Kroger back east where I used to live in Georgia. Personally I believe its all some enormous megacorp that that just changes names to keep us guessing.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:27 AM
link   
I get it now, Albertson's is schizophrenic! Either that, or it gets buyer's remorse an awful lot.

Hey, Albertson-the-dude -- get some psychological help pronto! Confusing your customers is not good for business.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Atleast with Lucky's they have the 3's a crowd for lines. More then 3 people in a check out line and they open another one.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:27 PM
link   
We lived across the street from a Lucky's when I grew up. It eventually changed to an Albertson's, however, it got closed down about a couple years ago. Now it's a Mexican Supermarket.

We spoke to a cart advertiser and he told us that the Lucky's brand was coming back because the name was easier to remember.

Here's some history:
Lucky Stores

Save Mart return

Save Mart acquired the Northern California division of Albertsons LLC on November 27, 2006[8]. Included in the deal is the right to use the Lucky brand in the areas Albertsons LLC operated, and there may be plans to remodel at least part of the stores acquired using the Lucky name[9]. On July 18, 2007, Save Mart said they would convert 72 of the acquired Albertsons stores to the Lucky banner in the San Francisco Bay Area,[10] at the speed of about 8 stores a week[11]. Soon after on July 19, 2007, Grocery Outlet disputed Save Mart's use of the Lucky name claming Save Mart has no rights to the name.[12]

As of August 1, 2007, all of the Albertsons stores in San Mateo County have been remodeled and converted into Lucky, and a total of 19 Bay Area stores have been converted so far.[13]

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 07:32 PM
link   
Thank you Dear Wife. I could probably have googled it but was feeling more like ranting than researching. At least YOU thought to pass me the memo.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:05 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorMalfunction

Your welcome MajorMalfunction.

And what's up with this?
Albertsons 70s Summer Celebration

more here

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Oh no, that 70's Albertson's commercial was just wrong!

Though, come to think of it, having a guy in the cart to grab stuff as I pass might not be a bad idea. If my 17 month old son could be directed to grab only items on the list, it might just work ...

Nah, he likes to throw whatever he's holding at the feet of every passing lady to get her to pick it up and give it back to him. They start early these days, the little flirt.

new topics

top topics

join