It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wireless Electricity, Coming Soon?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 23 2007 @ 01:24 PM
link   
Marin Soljacic, an assistant professors of physics at the Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), got tired of forgetting to plug in his cell phone and listening to it beeping in the middle of the night due to its low battery. This is when he decided to work on wireless electricity.

Wireless electricity has been around since Tesla, using radio/electromagnetic waves.

WiTricity Could Get Cords From Under Foot

Various methods of wireless power transmission have been known for decades. Radio, after all, is nothing more than wirelessly transmitted power: sound is converted to a varying electrical current in the transmitter, which generates electromagnetic waves that set up a matching varying electrical current in the receiver, which amplifies it and uses it to drive a speaker, recreating the original sound.

But radio radiates in all directions, meaning very little power is actually transmitted to any one receiver, and most of it is altogether wasted.

But the system he came up with, using magnetism and the physics of coupled resonant objects, doesn't waste all that electricity.

WiTricity doesn't use electromagnetic radiation at all: instead, it's based on magnetism and the physics of coupled resonant objects.

Two objects resonating at the same frequency exchange energy extremely efficiently.

The MIT design consists of two copper coils. One, attached to the power source, is the sending unit. Rather than send out electromagnetic waves, it fills the space around it with a magnetic field oscillating at a particular frequency. The second copper coil is designed to resonate with that oscillating magnetic field. A copper coil within an oscillating magnetic field generates a current, enough, in MIT's case, to power a light bulb.

Power transformers make use of something similar, called magnetic induction, to transmit power between coils over short distances. But those coils aren't designed to resonate with each other. Resonant coupling makes the transfer of energy almost a million times more efficient.

Since the magnetic field doesn't radiate, most of the power that isn't picked up by the receiving unit is bound to the originating coil, rather than being lost into the environment.

This could just be the beginning of the wireless house!

The only question I would have for them is, are there any long-term health risks of living with this system in your home?

[edit on 23/8/07 by Keyhole]

posted on Aug, 24 2007 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Nice Post.

The only question I would have for them is, are there any long-term health risks of living with this system in your home?

Before I got to the end of your post, I was thinking the same exact thing.

NY Times

Cancer Council

Sounds great in theory, however I would be worried about the health risks.

posted on Aug, 25 2007 @ 03:53 PM
link   
I get the idea of resonance normally, in that you have an object whose natural frequency is a certain value, and you make it vibrate at that frequency, and with electronics with inductive and capacitive elements, but how do you do it wirelessly as a power source? And consider that t doesn't know where the target device is, how can it be so efficient? But then I don't know fully how this works.

posted on Nov, 21 2007 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Sounds very safe to me
Whats wrong with plugging a wire into a socket? I dont understand, except for lets say a business with a ton of electronics. I dont know, just doesnt sound safe to me.

I dont like all these invisible things flying through me, radio waves, cell phones, and now wireless electricity
Heh. Sounds kinda cool though

posted on Dec, 22 2007 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Keyhole

yay lol

top topics

join