It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SCI/TECH: Russia plans to get to Mars first

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   
The space race could be back on. Despite Russia's crashed economy, news has come that they could get to Mars for a tenth of the cost of the US. This could be done by building a 70 tonne spaceship around Earths orbit at the International Space Station(ISS). It has been reported they could set off for Mars as soon as 2014.

"Moscow claimed that despite the shattered economy the country is technologically capable of building a 70 tonne spaceship in orbit, using the International Space Station.

Leonid Gorshkov, chief designer for space constructor Energia, said: "The first flight could be in 2014.""

This could be just propaganda by Russia, but after being beat to the Moon maybe they feel the extra incentive to return the favour.

www.mirror.co.uk

[Edited on 16-1-2004 by SkepticOverlord]

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 07:49 AM
link   
This is going to be great!!! We are going to have a three way race to get to the Red Planet. The winner of this is going to be the consumers with all the new technology that will be invented for the race.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Wasn't this scenario covered in a science fiction novel recently?

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Yes it certainly was SkepticOverlord.

On a more serious note though, this is another confirmation that I commented on the yesterday concerning the Bush administrations Space plans. In such, he should ask the world to join, plan, and execute this together.....the benefits of such a world program would be benefiticial to all parties and programs planning missions to the Moon and Mars, financially to world esteem and values.

regards
seekerof

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 01:03 PM
link   
I couldn't agree more Seekerof, but it ain't going to happen is it?
I don't think it's exactly the kind of message Bush and his cronies would like to get out there, they like to "beat" people, not work with them.

posted on Jan, 16 2004 @ 03:46 PM
link   
You might want to check this article about the US DOMININATION of space that is planned....just makes me sick.

www.eetimes.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2004 @ 09:04 AM
link   
true space is not ours we may use it all. but its public space not only humankinds.

top topics

join