It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

CIA missed chances to tackle al-Qaida

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   

CIA missed chances to tackle al-Qaida

news.yahoo.com

WASHINGTON - The CIA's top leaders failed to use their available powers, never developed a comprehensive plan to stop al-Qaida and missed crucial opportunities to thwart two hijackers in the run-up to Sept. 11, the agency's own watchdog concluded in a bruising report released Tuesday.

Completed in June 2005 and kept classified until now, the 19-page executive summary finds extensive fault with the actions of senior CIA leaders and others beneath them. "The agency and its..
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit Removed copy/paste over the 500 character limit.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by UM_Gazz]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:20 PM
link   
This report seems to outline negligence without saying it. Obviously, this is my comprehension.

"I thought the release of this report would distract officers serving their country on the front lines of a global conflict," Hayden said. "It will, at a minimum, consume time and attention revisiting ground that is already well plowed."

Okay... :shk:

What do ATSers think of this report?

AAC

news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 21-8-2007 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Personally, I feel there was no road map for this sort of thing until 9/11. Obviously mistakes were made, but would anyone else have cought this stuff? Maybe...maybe not. One thing I'm pretty sure of, though, is they didn't just sit back and say, "What the heck, let 'em attack!" I'm sure there were measures taken, just not the correct measures, or not enough. *shrug*

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:23 PM
link   
Now, lets face it - we are talking about an agency who starts wars all over the world - they know how they are started - and how they are averted.

Im of the mindset that not only the CIA, but especially the presidency knew that 9-11 was coming. Pres Roosevelt let Pearl Harbar happen because he wanted to get into WWII. The reasons for this hideous abuse of power will slowly unfold. It may take decades before we can even guess at the truth.

apc

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:38 PM
link   

The inspector general did take exception to findings of Congress' joint inquiry into 9/11. For instance, the congressional inquiry found that the CIA was reluctant to seek authority to assassinate bin Laden. Instead, the inspector general believed the problem was the agency's limited covert-action capabilities.

I tend to agree with the inspector. Too much red tape these days. We need to be able to kill problematic targets without having to file a form.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by apc]

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
Trulygreat, you are absolutely correct. This is just more smoke and mirrors. Of course they'd like to have us believe they were incompetent. That's a helluva lot better than the truth. After all the down side trades that were PUT against American and United on 9/10/01 were traced back to CIA connected individuals. PUTs at 6 times the normal level on only those airlines. Although the cockroaches never claimed their 2+ million cause they knew they'd get caught.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 10:31 PM
link   
One note here: The head of the CIA at the time this all went down was George Tennet (sp?), appointed head of the CIA by Bill Clinton. Just something to think about....

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:39 AM
link   
You guys should have a read of the book Ghost Wars. It'll clue you in about the whole Aghanistan/Muj/Taliban/CIA story. It's very very interesting stuff.

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:50 AM
link   
dont forget the ISI,CIA, alqaeda, taliban links... and the heroin trafficking.
CIA created ISI. Top ranking officials of ISI have wired a few hundred grand to mohammed attas florida account. other ISI officials called Atta the day before 911 giving him final approval (this call was intercepted by the NSA but they claim that it wasnt translated until after 911) If CIA runs ISI and ISI helped plan 911 well where do we go from there? not to mention CIA linked pilot schools where the terrorists trained were caught smuggling heroin into the US...

BTW. since the invasion of afghanistan has poppy production there increased or decreased.. i forgot

[edit on 22-8-2007 by turbokid]

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 03:57 AM
link   
The CIA never "ran" ISI. ISI in fact pretty much dictated what was going to happen with the Muj during the 80s and they've been less than forthcoming in the 90s+.

new topics

top topics

join