It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

DiCaprio Emulates Gore

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Three-time Academy Award-nominated movie star Leonardo DiCaprio and his filmmaking partners, Nadia Conners and Leila Conners Petersen, have done us a great favor. They have assembled an incredible array of passion and brainpower in their stirring documentary, The 11th Hour, to teach us just about every thing we need to know about the fate of planet Earth -- how bad things are, and what we can do to reverse the effects of humanity's rapid devastation of this planet.

The filmmakers have culled 90 minutes of brilliance from approximately 150 hours of interviews of the best of the best -- the rock stars of ecology, public policy, social critique and visionary philosophy. They have done a magnificent job. The 11th Hour is a first-class overview of the technology, the politics, the consequences of corporate and consumer behavior, and the aspirations and means to fix the mess we humans have created. As DiCaprio says, "We wanted to present the experts and have them carry the narrative of the film ..." which they do extraordinarily well. The film is great-looking as well, as the interviews are interspersed with scenes of contrasting beauty and environmental victimization -- dizzying montages, barren forests, beautiful seas, mudslides and clubbed baby seals, all set against a vast array of consumer images.

source

I'd really like to know if this film has any merit, or whether it's the same half truths, lies and propaganda put forth by AIT.

Has Leo been in a lot of high profile movies lately?
Is this an attempt to bolster his career?
Or is he genuinely concerned, and that's why he's promoting this film.

On the surface, it looks like a bit of a fluff job, but the interview also raises some valid points regarding our disposable way of life.

But this may be at odds with DiCaprio's lifestyle, putting him in the same bracket as gore in the "do as I say, not as I do" category of many high profile campaigners.

I've said it before, and I'll say it again - if you're going to talk the talk, make sure you walk the walk.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:44 PM
link   
It is about shock value and making money. We can just consider this to be the climate version of Bowling For Columbine. People don't really care if something is true as long as the message delivers what they want to hear. I believe that to be the sad reality of modern society. We are too wrapped up in our own little worlds to care much about truth or reality.

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 03:50 PM
link   
I think Leo is probably genuinely concerned, in his own simple sort of way. Anyone remember when he got to interview Bill Clinton several years ago (I think it was while Clinton was still in office). Clinton played him like a fiddle (er sexaphone). I remember being very interested at how a person with charisma and intelligence could manipulate a person with just charisma.

[edit on 21-8-2007 by jefwane]

join