It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Wal-Mart: The High Cost of Low Price

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2007 @ 04:57 AM
link   
Hey all

As always I ran extensive searches on this topic, and couldn't dig up any threads on it, which surprised me really, but please correct me if I missed a thread

Has anybody seen this film? Its a 2005 documentary by Robert Greenwald on the steamrolling giant that is Wal-Mart. I watched it last night, and found it both interesting and entertaining.

The film chronicles the the stories of people whose lives have been affected by the profit-driving behaviour of Wal-Mart. The local businesses who have gone bust because they can't compete with their prices, the ex-employees whose lives have been ruined through discrimination and bullying, and the customers whose rapes, assaults, robberies, and murders in Wal-Mart's parking lots go unprevented because Wal-Mart don't pay for security guards to watch their hundreds of parking lot cameras.

Here is a trailer:

Source: Movie Website

This documentary is very tongue-in-cheek, and like many of its kind you have to take it with a pinch of salt - the overall objective is to make Wal-Mart look as bad as possible. It was interesting, however, to see that many communities had managed to overturn Wal-Mart's planning permissions in their towns, and drive them out!

So, has anybody seen this film, and if so, what were your thoughts?

posted on Aug, 22 2007 @ 12:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by DragonsDomain
It was interesting, however, to see that many communities had managed to overturn Wal-Mart's planning permissions in their towns, and drive them out!

I wish my city could have done this. Had a Wal-mart centrally located in the city, but they wanted a super wal-mart and the space wasn't big enough. So they built a brand new spanking wal-mart way on the other side of the city. Soon after the smaller business surronding it died out, the bigger companies(Bockbuster) moved to a diffrent location. Now we have a pretty much an empty strip mall in the middle of the city. Now Wal-mart went well out of their way to build another super wal-mart on the other side of the city.(We aren't even that big...) There was a lot of people oppsing it because it was close to a school... so they said they'd move the access road to the school, etc. Now we are going to have two super wal-marts!? On oppisite sides of the city? Major highway closed due to it,(plus they are putting in more round abouts off of and on the highway... ick...)

join